PDA

View Full Version : Rods. New life form or ...?

Unknown User
2006-Apr-23, 09:00 PM
For those who have seen shows on Rods or info on the net about them. From what I have seen it seems impossible to me that they are just bugs. Bugs that we already know of that is. They seem to move as fast as they suggest in the footage which seems to be much faster than any known bug or man made aircraft. So what is your opinion on this? Are they some life form that has allways existed among us but we have been unaware of till now due to our ability to film them and playback at slower speeds?

ToSeek
2006-Apr-23, 09:43 PM
They're bugs. If someone concludes they're moving faster than bugs, they're almost certainly making invalid assumptions.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-23, 11:34 PM
I vote bugs, too. Bugs can move faster than people think.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-24, 12:14 AM
Can someone fill me in?

Lance
2006-Apr-24, 01:49 AM
Can someone fill me in?
Have a read here:
http://www.roswellrods.com/

Basically, except for the ones that are unexplained mysteries, they're bugs.

MrClean
2006-Apr-24, 01:54 AM
Bugs.

Strangely enough, pictures taken of bugs under the same situations that are known to be bugs look exactly like Rods.

Bugs.

sirius0
2006-Apr-24, 02:52 AM
They remind me of spiders who when they are young will send a stream of web out until the prevailing wind catches them and carts them along. I wonder if any take advantage of the curled leaf they may have come out of?

astromark
2006-Apr-24, 08:43 AM
Understanding what we see has always been a problem and, still is. High speed cameras can capture what we do not normally see. In poor lighting or back lit situations there they are zooming across the foreground as if on a covert mission. No. Our eyes have now seen and images have been reproduced. Insects. Doing what they always have. Rods is nonsense.
On this subject of understanding what we are seeing. Do any of you remember that film coverage from 'Chernobyl' . That news reporter walking into the town,while the film became damaged by the radiation. It looked like 'noise' or interference. I wounder if he and the film crew survived. It was days later that they realized the cause of that film damage.

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-24, 12:23 PM
I vote bugs, too. Bugs can move faster than people think.

Maybe even a tooth. (http://www.amsky.com/ufos/rods/)

More bugs here. (http://www.opendb.com/sol/bugs.htm)

The first time I saw someone showing a "rod", it didn't take long (nanoseconds) to wonder how someone could possibly think they were ET or Paranormal.

Rule of thumb: if the video for sale is the prominent feature of a website, then it is most likely bunk.

SeanF
2006-Apr-24, 02:24 PM
Birds are misidentified as rods as well. The first time I saw footage of these things, I saw the film clip without knowing what I was supposed to be looking at. I thought, "Hey, it's kind of cool how the camera makes those birds flying through look all stretched out." Next thing I knew, they were talking about these mysterious "rods."

I changed channels. :)

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-24, 02:26 PM
Bugs die, usually. Does anyone have one dead RodBug? Maybe there's one on Ebay?

JimTKirk
2006-Apr-24, 03:04 PM
Bugs die, usually. Does anyone have one dead RodBug? Maybe there's one on Ebay?

Eric,
You probably have some sitting in your windowsills if you haven't cleaned them lately. Seriously, they are normal insects that are passing close to a camera lense that is focused at a far distance. This has a tendency to blur and elongate the body of insects like flies and bees to make these "Rod Bugs".:)

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-24, 03:30 PM
So, all bugs, every insect, will look the same when captured on film in this way?
From the pictures I have seen, these things tend to look similar, like they could be one breed of bug.
Is there any difference between a cricket captured in this way and a ladybird?

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-24, 04:22 PM
So, all bugs, every insect, will look the same when captured on film in this way?
Sure, whatever you say.:rolleyes: Did you look at my "bug" link?

From the pictures I have seen, these things tend to look similar, like they could be one breed of bug.
Do you know if you seen pictures from different breeds? How would you know if the presenter says they are not bugs?

( :think: I Know bug breeding is probably done for various reasons, but for some reason it just sounds strange. )

Is there any difference between a cricket captured in this way and a ladybird?
Color.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-24, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vaxxine

Sure, whatever you say. Did you look at my "bug" link?

I was asking?

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-24, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vaxxine

Sure, whatever you say. Did you look at my "bug" link?

I was asking?
Just a feeble attempt at humor since I know my reply sounded a little harsh.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-24, 04:39 PM
The only 'bug' these things remind me of, are Stick Insects.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-24, 04:40 PM
Just a feeble attempt at humor since I know my reply sounded a little harsh.

I was wounded....but I've healed now.

I think they are bugs too, but from the fourth dimension.

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-24, 04:51 PM
The only 'bug' these things remind me of, are Stick Insects.
Oh no, don't bring sticks into this. He's going to come up with some strange angle to it.

I was wounded....but I've healed now.

I think they are bugs too, but from the fourth dimension.
So, the 3 dimensional bug is really a 4th dimension bug splat?

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-25, 10:00 AM
It looks that way. 4th dimension windscreens are difficult to identify. Quite ALlarming if they are 4th dim bug splats. They also remind me of the Artesion Screw (I think it is called.)

skyline5k
2006-Apr-25, 01:27 PM
Must've missed the whole "Rod" buzz. So this Jose guy's "rods" are nothing more than bugs & semi-skillful photography. What's the big deal then?

Elyk
2006-Apr-25, 04:21 PM
lol ok, i look at the videos they have...and the last thing that would come to my mind after looking at them is that it was some sort of ET crap. Why don't they just suppose that bugs are more common than aliens? I wonder if anyone actually belives this stuff haha, pathetic.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-25, 09:21 PM
Must've missed the whole "Rod" buzz. So this Jose guy's "rods" are nothing more than bugs & semi-skillful photography. What's the big deal then?

Most people think they are bugs, but, because we don't see them unless they are caught on video, they must be something else.

Lance
2006-Apr-25, 10:55 PM
Back when I heard of "rods" for the first time, around '98 or '99 I think, I followed the instructions given at one of the sites for "Sky Fishing" with a camcorder. This was well before I ever heard of BABB.

While taping, I saw a small (robin sized, but probably not a robin) bird move through my yard very quickly in a "downward, then to the right" curved "L" path. Later, when I viewed the tape, that bird was magically transformed into a "rod". And since I saw the bird fly through the frame myself, it was the last time I even considered the possibility that rods were more than some normal thing.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-26, 12:04 AM
Most people think they are bugs, but, because we don't see them unless they are caught on video, they must be something else.

That "something else" is quite clearly a recording artifact of an insect in motion. Motion blur isn't exactly unknown.

Coostie
2006-Apr-26, 02:39 AM
Very similar experience to Lance, except i was filming a dragon fly. Did look exactly like the things they showed on Sightings (remember that)... The dragon fly was being chased by a chupacabras tho! x-D

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Apr-26, 12:39 PM
Very similar experience to Lance, except i was filming a dragon fly. Did look exactly like the things they showed on Sightings (remember that)... The dragon fly was being chased by a chupacabras tho! x-D

Did you get the chupacabras on video?

Ahhh .. you see this is where we are all going wrong...these are 4th dimensional probes sent to 'check out' our dimension and they just LOOK like normal birds and bugs. :doh:

Does it now begin to make sense?

Lance
2006-Apr-26, 04:39 PM
That's amazing! My bird was being chased by a chupacabras as well. I didn't bother saving the tape because everyone knows chupacabras are real, right? I wonder if the "rod" phenomenon is always associated with chupacabras.

five_distinct
2006-Apr-26, 05:43 PM
That "something else" is quite clearly a recording artifact of an insect in motion. Motion blur isn't exactly unknown.

It is if you talk about "rods" with lots of inappropriate "quotation marks" and boldface.

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-26, 05:59 PM
It is if you talk about "rods" with lots of inappropriate "quotation marks" and boldface.
Huh? I see one item quoted, not lots, and no bolds. Are you offended by something?

Being this is a forum and some casual conversation, I don't think normal grammer rules apply, and mis-using some items help with the tone of the voice.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-26, 06:27 PM
Huh? I see one item quoted, not lots, and no bolds. Are you offended by something?

Being this is a forum and some casual conversation, I don't think normal grammer rules apply, and mis-using some items help with the tone of the voice.

No, no--it's a reference to the sort of web pages on which "rods" are mentioned--the kind where everything is CAPITALIZED and comes with way more exclamation points than are allowed by the rules of grammar!!!!!

("Five exclamation points--a sure sign of an unsound mind." --Terry Pratchett, in at least three books thus far.)

And I think the rules of grammar are perfectly capable of capturing a conversational tone, given that even such English nerds as I are capable of bending them to allow, say, way too many parenthetical phrases.

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-26, 06:37 PM
No, no--it's a reference to the sort of web pages on which "rods" are mentioned--the kind where everything is CAPITALIZED and comes with way more exclamation points than are allowed by the rules of grammar!!!!!
Oh; then maybe you shouldn't have quoted Van Rijn... It looks like you are replying to his comment.:think:

("Five exclamation points--a sure sign of an unsound mind." --Terry Pratchett, in at least three books thus far.)
:D

And I think the rules of grammar are perfectly capable of capturing a conversational tone, given that even such English nerds as I are capable of bending them to allow, say, way too many parenthetical phrases.
If you know the rules well. I'm just trying to type fast, and I normally talk to computers not humans, so any old language is fine with me. ;)

Gillianren
2006-Apr-26, 07:30 PM
Oh; then maybe you shouldn't have quoted Van Rijn... It looks like you are replying to his comment.:think:

I didn't. I'm just clarifying--and pointing out that I, at least, caught the reference.

Swift
2006-Apr-26, 08:45 PM
Ahhh .. you see this is where we are all going wrong...these are 4th dimensional probes sent to 'check out' our dimension and they just LOOK like normal birds and bugs. :doh:

Does it now begin to make sense?
I suppose they were sent by the mice. :D

By the way Coostie, were you watching a "dragonfly (http://www.turtletrack.org/Issues04/Co03202004/Art/dragonfly_Cb.jpg)" or a "dragon (http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/xyzrgb/dragon.jpg) fly"? :p

five_distinct
2006-Apr-26, 09:10 PM
Haha thanks Gillianren. I was actually referring to the types of pages these Rods tend to show up on, not on the post itself.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-26, 09:43 PM
Haha thanks Gillianren. I was actually referring to the types of pages these Rods tend to show up on, not on the post itself.

Heh. Misunderstandings happen all the time, especially in writing a quick post on a BBS. I admit I was confused for a short while, but the lack of boldface in my post was a good hint that your comment wasn't about my post.

The skeptic
2006-Apr-28, 06:46 PM
I remember seeing a programme about 'rods' some years' back...For some reason, they looked like artefacts of digital camcorders to me???

Kaptain K
2006-Apr-29, 10:45 PM
...they looked like artefacts of digital camcorders to me...
I'd swear that the BA did a piece on "rods" sometime back, but I can't find it on his website. IIRC, he said the same thing and said that a simple test would be to set up two camcorders side by side. If "rods" were real and not artifacts, you could determine the distance by simple parallax.