PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull commercial

nebularain
2006-Apr-24, 03:09 PM
I just saw this Red Bull commercial yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone else saw it?

An astronaut is seen stepping down the capsule ladder exclaiming, "That's one small step for man. . . ." But as he leaps to the ground, he instead flies, thanks to these strange wings he has. The second astronaut has the same problem.

They radio to Houston about their problem. The response is that Red Bull gives you wings (their campaign slogan it seems).

So, the astronauts ask what to do about it.

The resonse: Come back to Earth and we can shoot it in the studio.

I nearly fell to the floor laughing!

erisi236
2006-Apr-24, 03:12 PM
They do manage to spike that flag down tho' don't they? :)

Extravoice
2006-Apr-24, 06:47 PM
That commercial is wrong on so many levels that I can't stand to watch it.

A slightly better commercial is the one for Plantronics(sp?) headsets. Apparently this company made the headsets for Apollo. In the commercial, they muse about what the Moon landing would have been like without them. Neil Armstrong is shown holding a corded telephone handset to his helmet. The handset slips from his hands and the recoil causes him to go spinning away. I choose to believe they were indicating *low* gravity and not *zero* gravity.

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-24, 06:55 PM
Pretty much goes for all the red bull commercials (and vonage, and revel, and tag, and ... better stop now)

ToSeek
2006-Apr-24, 09:23 PM
The central characters in the Red Bull ads always fly away.

nebularain
2006-Apr-24, 11:20 PM

It's not supposed to be "accurate" - that's just the way Red Bull does it's commercials.

I just thought it hysterical how they played on the "Lunar hoax" stuff about the scenes being shot in a studio. (Due to technical difficulties, the actual footage could not be used, so we had to re-create it....)

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-24, 11:21 PM

But that's a good thing. It is an obvious joke, so it doesn't bother me. Admitedly, there are probably people out there that would have trouble working out some of the joke . . .

Gillianren
2006-Apr-25, 01:03 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only person bothered by it! I started getting loud at the TV, and my boyfriend (this was before he left) said, "You know it's a joke, right?"

As if I cared. It was wrong! (But then, I read something about some game or another being theoretically played on the moon, and I got all caught up in the physics, and I don't even really know physics. So.)

Extravoice
2006-Apr-25, 02:39 AM
Yes, I understand it was a joke, and I honestly thought the *best* part of the commercial was the line about filming it back home.

I just hate the general theme of the Red Bull commercials. But then, when I drink too much caffeine I just get the shakes. I must not be in the target demographic.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-25, 03:08 AM
I must not be in the target demographic.

I don't think I am either. Oh, I get plenty of caffeine, but I haven't ever gotten around to trying this stuff.

nebularain
2006-Apr-25, 12:37 PM
Yes, I understand it was a joke, and I honestly thought the *best* part of the commercial was the line about filming it back home.

I just hate the general theme of the Red Bull commercials. But then, when I drink too much caffeine I just get the shakes. I must not be in the target demographic.
That's kind of the way I saw it - I thought it was stupid until that line. And then I just busted up laughing, catching the joke.

Matherly
2006-Apr-25, 05:54 PM
NO NO!!! DON'T YOU SEE!!!! IT'S A WHISTLEBLOW!!!!! OMG!!! WE FINALLY HAVE PROOF!!!

(A knight in full armor walks up behind Matherly and smacks him with a rubber chicken ala Monty Python)

Um... sorry 'bout that.

Alasdhair
2006-Apr-25, 08:07 PM
I got some free during a corporate adventure/team-building contest, although you had to say you were tired before the girls would let you have any, otherwise they'd snatch it back.

Tastes a lot better when you don't have to pay for it

Jeff Root
2006-Apr-26, 02:30 AM
Just to give you all one more thing to laugh at:

Isn't Red Bull a brand of beer? That's what I had assumed.
Of course, I don't have a TV, I haven't seen any TV ads for
the stuff, whatever it is, I don't drink alcohol in amounts
anyone else would ever notice, and caffeine has never had
any effect on me that I could notice, so about the only
time I drink something with caffeine in it is when someone
offers me something...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Gas Giant
2006-Apr-26, 06:08 PM
It's not beer. It's a carbonated drink with truly colossal quantities of sugar, and large amounts of taurine and caffeine.

Mellow
2006-May-03, 01:17 PM
Taurine.... no formally documented effects on humans, positive or negative. I asked a Red Bull rep once what taurine does and he said "nothing". Taurine was discovered in ox bile (I think) hence the name (from taurus).

As always, I'm happy to be corrected.

BTW - Red Bull produce a sugar free version too!

ToSeek
2006-May-03, 02:32 PM
Our vet had us giving one of our cats taurine when he started having heart problems.

farmerjumperdon
2006-May-03, 05:26 PM
I must not be in the target demographic.

I really like that. Mind if I borrow a version?

I'm nobody's target market!

NEOWatcher
2006-May-03, 06:59 PM
I really like that. Mind if I borrow a version?

I'm nobody's target market!
Me too... reminds me of 2 phone surveys I took, they went like this:

Hello?
Hello, we're taking a survey on fast food and it will only take a few minutes.
OK.
About how many times do you go to fast food restaraunts every month?
About once or twice.
Thank you, goodbye.

the other went like this.
Hello, we're doing a market research survey. May I talk to the person responsible for the grocery shopping.
Speaking.
How many people in your household.
one.
Bye.

Ara Pacis
2006-May-03, 07:49 PM
I thought it was hilarious. But, if you want to moan about physics, then you might as well focus on the impossibility of Time Travel since Red Bull wasn't around in 1969.

Roy Batty
2006-May-03, 11:50 PM
I thought it was hilarious. But, if you want to moan about physics, then you might as well focus on the impossibility of Time Travel since Red Bull wasn't around in 1969.
Oh yes it was! they just called it called Tang ;)

Im a bad bad wolf
2006-May-04, 12:36 AM
I went to a festival once, was given Red Bull free and assumed it was booze - it had a placebo effect...

I thought the fact the advert was made as a joke, is ironic - it means the subject is on peoples mind. Either you think yeah i agree, or thats funny - because I know its not true

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-May-04, 01:02 AM
I admit I'm no fan of the general style of Red Bull commercials, but "the line" certainly did crack me up. Much like the Family Guy scene where Neil Armstrong knocks out Peter. :)

umop ap!sdn
2006-May-04, 08:33 PM
Isn't Red Bull a brand of beer?
You may be thinking of those billboards that show only a red bulldog. I don't recall the brand name but they're for some kind of alcoholic beverage (at least if they'd put the name of the product on the ad, it'd be a little more effective. :D )