PDA

View Full Version : Please bring back the Ultimate Astronomy Quiz

IMO
2006-Apr-29, 11:36 AM
As a long term contributor to the UAQ I feel strongly that it belongs in Astronomy, not Fun N Games. The quiz has a long record of education, not amusement.

John Oliver
Emeritus Associate Professor
Department of Astronomy
University of Florida

Melusine
2006-Apr-29, 12:00 PM
As a long term contributor to the UAQ I feel strongly that it belongs in Astronomy, not Fun N Games. The quiz has a long record of education, not amusement.

John Oliver
Emeritus Associate Professor
Department of Astronomy
University of Florida
So glad you said something IMO, because, honestly, I was just about to PM you to enlist your support that the A.Q. should not be in the Fun-n-Games section. (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=734219&postcount=1647) As an astronomer and educator, I should hope your opinion is at least double the value of mine. I might add that Glom is not a frivolous person, and he started the quiz. I suspect that someone who is more interested in astronomy rather than acronyms (as much as I love acronyms) would only see this quiz here if they are not the "game type." In fact, I would never have seen you, IMO, if it were not for the quiz.

Putting the A.Q. in Fun-n-Games actually waters down the quiz's intent, and this is primarily an astronomy/science board (sure looks that way given BAUT's two home-bases). It takes two seconds to slap down a "word association," and often that to create an acronym-sentence. Again, I spent much time trying to find some good quiz questions, cutting and pasting, and searching...searching Google for answers:

THIS IS NOT A GAME! :evil:

antoniseb
2006-Apr-29, 12:57 PM
I moved it. You are right to ask. I'm moving this thread to About BAUT, and closing it. PM a mod if you need this thread reopened.

ToSeek
2006-Apr-29, 02:49 PM
I was wondering about some of the "games" that currently live outside of BABBling and if they should be moved to F&G. Obviously, this one shouldn't.