PDA

View Full Version : The World Is Bored Of Hoax Theories!

Super Nova
2006-May-01, 03:51 AM
:think: If I Where To Say That Hoax Theories Are No Longer Listened to Or Cared About Would you agree:think: ?

Maksutov
2006-May-01, 03:57 AM
:think: If I Where To Say That Hoax Theories Are No Longer Listened to Or Cared About Would you agree:think: ?No, one or more of their subscribers is born every minute.

BTW, is this Zaphod Jr.?

Super Nova
2006-May-01, 04:00 AM
exactly, as long as there is one person who belives ,it wont go away

The skeptic
2006-May-01, 05:03 AM
:think: If I Where To Say That Hoax Theories Are No Longer Listened to Or Cared About Would you agree:think: ?

One can only wish, Super Nova. One can only wish!

Gillianren
2006-May-01, 05:19 AM
I met someone within the last few months who believed the Apollo landings were a hoax. I know someone who believes only 100,000 people died in the Holocaust. Then there are all those bizarre 9/11 conspiracy sites that have, logically, only appeared within the last five years. No, conspiracy theories are not dead. I don't think they're even wounded.

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-May-01, 05:33 AM
You can't wound a state of mind... Heh.

jt-3d
2006-May-01, 08:08 AM
Conspiracy theories are indeed perpetual because somebody will always be looking for a way to make a buck/pound/euro/ruble from launching yet another conspiracy. I can however hear your average joe saying 'Yeah, that's just another conpiracy. Hohum'. So yeah I think they are bored or at least would be if anybody paid attention to anything outside their own little world anymore.

Did that make any sense? Probably not.

Architect
2006-May-01, 08:17 AM
Perhaps we should start a conspiracy theory about someone deliberately starting conspiracy theories, then market it with our own website and books? Make a mint!

Super Nova
2006-May-01, 08:35 AM
I cant see why every big thing that the government does ,they try to find a scandal in it or say the government killed someone.

TheBlackCat
2006-May-01, 03:59 PM
Perhaps we should start a conspiracy theory about someone deliberately starting conspiracy theories, then market it with our own website and books? Make a mint!
I had a teacher that argued just that, that conspiracies were part of a conspiracy to get us accustomed to conspiracies.

Swift
2006-May-01, 07:55 PM
I had a teacher that argued just that, that conspiracies were part of a conspiracy to get us accustomed to conspiracies.
Oh sure, that's just what they want you to believe. :naughty:

nomuse
2006-May-01, 09:33 PM

That's kinda the plot of Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum." Some young academics make up a conspiracy theory to beat all conspiracy theories -- but unfortunately some idiots fall for it, and end up trying to kill them for the "secret."

Not every conspiracy theory leads directly to bucks. Many are started for social or political gain, or, even more, personal aggrandizement. "I'm special; I know about the UFOs," or "It's not my fault I'm overweight -- it's those ninja monkeys hurling twinkies in the night!"

Super Nova
2006-May-02, 02:43 AM

:naughty: soon they will make a conspiracy about it and theyll make even more money:boohoo:

Sweety
2006-May-02, 04:23 AM
But I love hoax theories.

long live the queeb
2006-May-02, 01:54 PM
The reason why conspiracy theories proliferate is because real conpiracies do demonstrably occur, and only a fool pretends that they dont. However, where hardcore C/Ts lose the plot is to believe that EVERYTHING is a Government conspiracy, and refuse to accept evidence that proves them wrong....

twinstead
2006-May-02, 02:00 PM
The reason why conspiracy theories proliferate is because real conpiracies do demonstrably occur, and only a fool pretends that they dont. However, where hardcore C/Ts lose the plot is to believe that EVERYTHING is a Government conspiracy, and refuse to accept evidence that proves them wrong....

Yup, " 'They' have done it before, so therefore 'They' are doing it now" is a common refrain.

Super Nova
2006-May-03, 09:32 AM
down with conspiricies

Jakenorrish
2006-May-03, 09:49 AM
Conspiricy Theories are going to be alive for a while. There was a programme on Sky 3 (UK) last night about how the Titanic was swapped with the Olympic (sister ship) and sunk deliberately for the insurance. It was the biggest pile of horse manure I've seen since the Fox 'Fake Apollo' programme!

As long as there's gullible people with no intention of looking at scientific fact, then there'll be conspiricy.

SolusLupus
2006-May-03, 01:53 PM
Conspiracy theories are somewhat amusing, but rather ridiculous. As someone said, the government couldn't cover up a cupcake with frosting, much less aliens.

Super Nova
2006-May-05, 07:35 AM
*sigh*

Jakenorrish
2006-May-05, 10:55 AM
Conspiracy theories are somewhat amusing, but rather ridiculous. As someone said, the government couldn't cover up a cupcake with frosting, much less aliens.

This is true. If Nixon couldn't hide the Watergate afair which was put simply breaking in to an office, how the heck would the US government of 1969-72 have faked the Moon landings?!

jt-3d
2006-May-05, 07:41 PM
The obvious answer is that there are hundereds of conspiracies and dark deeds going on all the time so it's common sense (they love that) that a few would get discovered. Or maybe those were leaked to distract us from other more sinister plots! Being a conspiracy theorist is easy.

Z28Jerry
2006-May-05, 10:14 PM
Consiracy goes on big and small every day.

Most are like white lies, little things everybody does to get through this miserable life.

Others are so outlandish they are dismissed without much thought.

But some are true. Which ones? I don't know. I think we all like to pick which ones we want to be true. ??

twinstead
2006-May-05, 10:41 PM
But some are true. Which ones? I don't know. I think we all like to pick which ones we want to be true. ??

I think, with a few exceptions, the conspiracies that a person wants to be true usually correspond with his world view, regardless of whether the conspiracies are true or not.

Gillianren
2006-May-06, 12:41 AM
I don't much want conspiracies to be true. However, in some (rare!) cases, there is actual evidence. When there isn't, I don't believe in it.

twinstead
2006-May-06, 01:23 AM
I don't much want conspiracies to be true. However, in some (rare!) cases, there is actual evidence. When there isn't, I don't believe in it.

Yea, but it takes a 'special' personality to be a conspiracy theorist. ;)

The skeptic
2006-May-06, 07:50 AM

Yes, but isn't all the 'evidence' part of the conspiracy? The greater the amount of negative evidence available, the better able the govenment is at misinformation? But, that's nothing to the CTs for which there's abosultely no evidance at all: Icke's lizards and Bush's alledged involvement in 9/11, for example, are supported by nothing at all...zilch...nada!!!

I guess that these must be examples of 'perfect' conspiracies??:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: