PDA

View Full Version : Bad astronomy on 'Miss Marple'

eburacum45
2006-May-01, 09:23 AM
Oh I do hate it when they do this!
Twice during last night's episode of 'Agatha Christie's Marple' the Moon was shown as a cresent, facing left, at a time which was established as being 'between eleven and twelve at night'.
As anyone with interest in matters astronomical knows, a crescent facing left as shown would only be visible in the morning; as it was snowing as well, that would place the events shown in winter, when morning comes between five and eight o'clock.

Even if the crescent had been shown facing right, as would be correct for an evening apparition in the northern hemisphere, it wouldn't be visible at eleven o'clock in the evening in winter, but would have set long before.

I put it to you, Miss Marple, that your account of the events is so obviously inconsistent with the facts that you must either be shielding someone, or be the guilty party yourself.

Sticks
2006-May-01, 09:45 AM
So you bored by the bank holiday as well then :lol:

eburacum45
2006-May-01, 10:44 AM
Well, I like detective stories. I particularly like Sci-fi detective stories, like the classic ones by Asimov and Niven; but non- sci-fi mysteries can be good stuff too.

Gillianren
2006-May-01, 05:47 PM
Try Peter Wimsey (by Dorothy L. Sayers). There was one really good TV version and one really bad TV version; avoid the Ian Carmichael ones. Or just read the books.

mid
2006-May-02, 09:54 AM
On the other hand, it had Timothy Dalton in, so all is forgiven.

Donnie B.
2006-May-03, 12:01 AM
Try Peter Wimsey (by Dorothy L. Sayers). There was one really good TV version and one really bad TV version; avoid the Ian Carmichael ones.Hey, I liked those. They were my introduction to Lord Peter.

I agree that Carmichael was the wrong physical type to play Wimsey, but otherwise they were good productions. Of course, the books are best.

Gillianren
2006-May-03, 12:13 AM
Wrong physical type--and he came across more as avuncular than sophisticated/silly man-about-town. (Peter's only ever shown as avuncular to Gherkins/St. George.) Besides, they screwed up the story of The Nine Tailors!

Donnie B.
2006-May-03, 01:03 AM
Wrong physical type--and he came across more as avuncular than sophisticated/silly man-about-town. (Peter's only ever shown as avuncular to Gherkins/St. George.) Besides, they screwed up the story of The Nine Tailors!Did they? I didn't notice -- I hadn't read that one then, but I did read it (much) later and didn't notice any major changes except the flood. I assume they couldn't afford to drown an entire parish for the sake of the production.

Gillianren
2006-May-03, 02:40 AM
They had Peter at the wedding, which he definitely wasn't; he didn't know the family until the body was found in the grave.

Donnie B.
2006-May-03, 10:10 PM
They had Peter at the wedding, which he definitely wasn't; he didn't know the family until the body was found in the grave.Well, it's been awhile since I read it, so that seems like a pretty small thing.

Funny you should bring this up, though -- I just picked up a couple of the Wimsey novels that I hadn't read (but saw the TV versions) -- Clouds of Witness and Five Red Herrings. I also picked up the one (name escapes me ATM) that was incomplete when Sayers died, and was recently finished by a contemporary mystery writer. That should be interesting.

I finished C of W (one of the better and more dramatic ones, I think), but now I'm reading The Killer Angels. Remarkable novel.

Gillianren
2006-May-03, 11:07 PM
Funny you should bring this up, though -- I just picked up a couple of the Wimsey novels that I hadn't read (but saw the TV versions) -- Clouds of Witness and Five Red Herrings. I also picked up the one (name escapes me ATM) that was incomplete when Sayers died, and was recently finished by a contemporary mystery writer. That should be interesting.

Thrones, Dominations. I've always thought good ol' Dorothy L. was superior to Christie. (And I can't tell what's Sayers and what isn't in Thrones.)

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-09, 11:27 AM
My favourite Sayers'

The Nine Tailors
Murder Must Advertise
Strong Poison

My favourite Christies

Passenger to Frankfurt
The Mysterious Mr. Quin

Gillianren
2006-May-09, 05:27 PM
I'd say Gaudy Night over Strong Poison, but other than that, spot on. Haven't read much Christie, though--I wish Sayers had been half so prolific with her mysteries, but no; she had to devote most of her life to serious scholarship!