PDA

View Full Version : NASA's top priority

ToSeek
2003-Mar-25, 08:11 PM
I just wanted to be the first to put a poll in our fancy new system!

SpacedOut
2003-Mar-25, 08:27 PM
You picked a great topic to use for the first poll.

I suggest we wait a week before we start discussing the results. It should be a good one.

BTW - is there a way to block someone casting multiple votes?

nebularain
2003-Mar-25, 08:32 PM
How do you set up a poll?

(Hey! There's no question smilie. :x )

ToSeek
2003-Mar-25, 08:36 PM
How do you set up a poll?

If you start a new topic, there are fields to set one up below the area where you put in your message.

ToSeek
2003-Mar-25, 08:37 PM
BTW - is there a way to block someone casting multiple votes?

After you've voted, you don't get the options any more, just the results. I assume that you can't vote if you haven't logged in.

spaceditto
2003-Mar-25, 09:14 PM
That's why I couldn't vote when I was not logged on thougth this new system is quite fancy (parroting Toseek) :lol: (I think we should have spell check)

g99
2003-Mar-25, 09:23 PM
It would of made my last poll much, much easier. But then you would'nt of had the snazy excell made graphics. :-)

SpacedOut
2003-Mar-25, 09:50 PM
After you've voted, you don't get the options any more, just the results. I assume that you can't vote if you haven't logged in.

Actually, I think it the bb software may keep track of IP addresses, I had cleared all of my caches (including cookies) before I returned and all I could see was the results even before I logged in.

I'll check tonight when I get home to see how it behaves.

Glom
2003-Mar-25, 10:41 PM
I voted other. I think NASA should dedicate its resources to establishing proper space infrastructure. Not costly projects like ISS, but serving posts to aid in full scale manned Lunar exploration, by putting small scale stations in LEO, GSO, L1 and Lunar orbit. I believe <i>New Scientist</i> had an article a while back about inflatable space stations.

daver
2003-Mar-25, 11:27 PM
I voted other. I think NASA should dedicate its resources to establishing proper space infrastructure. Not costly projects like ISS, but serving posts to aid in full scale manned Lunar exploration, by putting small scale stations in LEO, GSO, L1 and Lunar orbit. I believe <i>New Scientist</i> had an article a while back about inflatable space stations.

Well, cheap access to space is necessary for any large scale exploitation.

Lawrence Livermore, years ago (maybe a decade) proposed inflatable space stations. NASA didn't like the idea then. They might have had good reasons.

MHS
2003-Mar-26, 08:48 AM
Well if the US would decide to spend about 20% less on the war, then the money problem concerning the ISS would be over. I understand that it isn't as simple as that, but what I'm saying is that it's not entirely up to NASA to pick it's priority. Their goals depend on their budget.

Hey... maybe you are right then :)

gethen
2003-Mar-26, 01:02 PM
Intersting early results--no one around here seems to want to spend any time or money on unmanned missions, or earth-bound missions. No surprise I guess on a board like this.

kucharek
2003-Mar-26, 01:20 PM
NASA should have a long term goal, like colonize Mars to establish a second, independed place where human beings can exist. This is the only safe method to assure survival of mankind in case a big catastrophe happens on Earth.

Only with such a plan, certain things make sense. NASA should develop heavy lift launchers, unmanned, and manned transporters. Currently, there is no real need for a heavy launcher.

So, the whole plan should be:

-expand unmanned Mars exploration
-develop heavy launcher
-develop manned Mars spacecraft
-develop Mars base
-manned Mars exploration
-manned Mars base
-Mars colony

In general, every manned undertaking in spaceflight should emphasize on exploration and human nature and culture. Trying to play the science card is in my understanding wrong. Almost all science is best done unmanned. But unmanned exploration is like thinking watching tv is doing the real thing.

Harald

David Hall
2003-Mar-26, 03:24 PM
Intersting early results--no one around here seems to want to spend any time or money on unmanned missions, or earth-bound missions. No surprise I guess on a board like this.

Not true. I think unmanned exploration should be increased, but we're only given one vote, so I went with improving access to space.

Getting up there cheaply should be the largest overriding concern, because it's the one thing that everything else hinges on. The cheaper we make it, the more we can do out there.

Unmanned exploration gives good bang for the buck, and there's so much still to learn. High priority.

ISS is already there, so we should try to use it to it's fullest. Medium priority IMO.

Manned orbital missions should continue, hopefully with a long-term goal of getting us back to the Moon. I don't think it's worthwhile going to Mars yet. We should hone our abilities on Luna first. Low priority.

Earth science studies are low priority in my opinion. There are other organizations for that. I think NASA should mostly limit it's studies to things directly related to spaceflight and aeronautics.

gethen
2003-Mar-26, 03:29 PM
Makes sense, David. I think, speaking only for myself, that the idea of manned exploration is too enticing to put off for practical reasons. Probably though, your point about getting there cheaply first makes better sense. I've never pretended to be particularly practical.

David Hall
2003-Mar-26, 03:41 PM
I tend to be a cautious type, slow and steady wins the race, so what I wrote is my perfect world. But I also realize that, in practical terms, that things like excitement and adventure tend to provide more motivation to getting things done. So with that in mind, maybe a push for Mars would be more warranted after all?

gethen
2003-Mar-26, 03:49 PM
Maybe so. I was thinking (perhaps actually displaying some small measure of practicality) the the ISS should have some priority, since the US and others have already invested a fair amount of capital into it. Of couse, what advantages might come from a fully functional ISS is another question.

ToSeek
2003-Apr-02, 05:00 PM
I wanted to bump this: still another week for inputs if anyone hasn't put in their two cents' worth.

skeptED56
2003-Apr-02, 09:37 PM
Reducing cost of space travel should definetly be the priority.

I did hear one idea that of instead of dumping the shuttle's main fuel tank at seperation, that it could be left in orbit and be used with other tanks to make a cheap space station. Is this possible and if so is it practical?

Chip
2003-Apr-02, 10:52 PM
I just wanted to be the first to put a poll in our fancy new system!
Cool. Since you specified "top priority" rather than "long term goal," I voted for unmanned exploration of Mars. I think that's more important than the ISS, and sets the stage for future human exploration. Its OK if nobody agrees with me - I'll be the Gadfly. :D

JS Princeton
2003-Apr-02, 11:13 PM
There's not enough money for science. More needs to be devoted to doing things that really advance our knowledge instead of just putting people into outer space.