PDA

View Full Version : Pheonix Mars Lander is Coming Together

Fraser
2006-May-02, 07:27 PM
SUMMARY: NASA's next mission to the Red Planet, the Phoenix Mars Lander, is coming together in preparation for its August 2007 launch. Engineers are now incorporating many of its subsystems, including the flight computer, power systems and science instruments. If all goes well, the spacecraft will land near Mars' north polar ice cap, and analyze samples that it scoops up from the icy soil.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/phoenix_mars_2007.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-May-02, 10:09 PM
Launch in 15 months. Most end of life for the mission a year after that (it probably won't survive a winter caked with meters of Dry Ice).

It is really cool that we are sending mission after mission to Mars, and learning more and more details about the planet.

The Phoenix lander is going to look for and examine water ice at the North Pole. Two or four years later the RTG powered rovers will be cruising for clues. Meanwhile the MRO is going to be snapping very detailed images of anyplace interesting that won't quite match the resolution of the MER rovers in situ, but it'll be close enough.

How long before someone can get an undergraduate degree in the study of Mars (Martiology?).

ToSeek
2006-May-02, 10:14 PM
Two or four years later the RTG powered rovers will be cruising for clues.

Last I heard, MSL was just one rover (which I think is a mistake).

Joff
2006-May-02, 10:55 PM
Martiology?Nothing so comprehensible, I'm sure - probably Areology.

Last I heard, MSL was just one rover (which I think is a mistake).Hear, hear. In Roving Mars Squyres noted that, counterintuitively, it's quicker to build two rovers than one. Not just pro-rata quicker - actually quicker overall. Unfortunately it's 1.5 times the expense.