PDA

View Full Version : science magazines

MHS
2003-Mar-25, 11:04 PM
This post probably doesn't belong here, but I'll post anyway :).

I've been thinking about subscribing to a science magazine, but I can't really decide which one to pick. NewScientist has a great offer for students like me: 55 copies for about 140 euros (= dollars). I've read PopSci as well, but there were to many adds in there if you ask me. Any other suggestions? Ofcourse they also have to deliver in Europe, but most sci magazines do. Thanx!

daver
2003-Mar-25, 11:20 PM
This post probably doesn't belong here, but I'll post anyway :).

I've been thinking about subscribing to a science magazine, but I can't really decide which one to pick. NewScientist has a great offer for students like me: 55 copies for about 140 euros (= dollars). I've read PopSci as well, but there were to many adds in there if you ask me. Any other suggestions? Ofcourse they also have to deliver in Europe, but most sci magazines do. Thanx!

I'm US based, European choices are likely different. I like Science News (a weekly newsletter). I used to read Scientific American back when i had more time. There are some on-line (free) sevices--Physics News Update emails a weekly report.

Colt
2003-Mar-26, 08:55 AM
I usually pick up a copy of Popular Science whenever there is a new one. They are pretty easy reads and don't make it hard for the layman to understand what is going on. Most of their adds pertain to something new in science (IIRC). Popular Mechanics is another good one which though has nothing strictly to do with science they do mention it quite alot.

Normally I don't pick up some of the more scientific magazines because their cost makes it prohibitive to buy them and other things on my very small budget.

The main thing is to pick a magazine which is at your level of scientific understanding. -Colt

MHS
2003-Mar-26, 10:08 AM
Thanks a lot! I bought a copy of New Scientist to see if I like it and I really do, so I might stick with it. It is expensive to buy them every time (6 euros/copy), but if I subscribe it will cost me less than 3 euros/copy. As a student that's still quite a lot, but sometimes it's just nice to read about something else than calculus, algebra or mechanics :D

jokergirl
2003-Mar-26, 02:54 PM
Another european-based opinion...
I usually read the web editions of New Scientist (www.newscientist.com) and the german magazine Bild der Wissenschaft (www.wissenschaft.de), which more or less covers most of my science news needs (sometimes NS is faster in updating, sometimes BdW is).
Also, my BF has subscriptions to the german edition of Scientific American and a sceptic magazine. I used to read GEO (another german magazine, similar to National Geographic) too, but it got too expensive and those magazines really take up a lot of space!

Another nice magazine, which does not quite fit into this category though, is the computer mag c't ;)

How about good astronomy related magazines? I caught some promo copies of astronomy magazines some time ago, but all of them seemed rather suspicious to me... Sort of too heavy for beginners to understand, but nothing new for pros. Any recommendations there?

;)