PDA

View Full Version : can ya lend me a stick a Beemans?

sacrelicious
2003-Mar-26, 10:32 AM
from www.dvdreview.com:

"Warner Brothers has The Right Stuff
March 25, 2003

One of the early releases from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment was one of the original machismo driven dramas, The Right Stuff. Despite the great film, a poor transfer, sparse extras and a horrible disc flip point made the DVD a disappointment. But the time has come to revisit the film with a new 2 disc special edition.
They were Mercury astronauts: men named Shepard, Grissom, Glenn, Carpenter, Schirra, Cooper and Slayton, the first Americans to ride a primitive spacecraft solo into a new frontier. Preceding them in the history books was the legendary Chuck Yeager, who far removed from the awesome media spotlight that would focus on the “spacemen” a decade later, became the first man to break the sound barrier piloting the fabled X-1.
The film gets its respect with an anamorphic widescreen transfer and audio in Dolby Digital 5.0. A packed audio commentary will feature director Philip Kaufman, producers Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff, cinematographer Caleb Deschanel and cast members Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid and Barbara Hershey will accompany the film. Thirteen deleted scenes including Trudy's Dream, Chimp and Center Fuse, Milkshake Connecting, Second Convolution, Specimen Request, Glen Gets Out of Centerfuge, Astronauts Walk Down Hall, Gus and Trudy at Motel, Dayroom Liaison Man Speech, Blood/Mission Control, New Congress Lift, NASA Man "Socks" and Trudy Wakes will be on the set and as will a documentary introduced by author Thomas Wolfe, including interviews with Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Barbara Hershey, Dennis Quaid, Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, Wally Schirra and the coolest human who has ever lived, test pilot Chuck Yeager.
Coming on June 10th, the set will arrive on $26.99.

comence drooling in ten...nine...eight...seven...six...five...four...t hree...two...one...

kilopi
2003-Mar-26, 11:40 AM
a documentary introduced by author Thomas Wolfe

That's Tom Wolfe (http://www.tomwolfe.com/index3.htm), not Thomas Wolfe (http://library.uncwil.edu/wolfe/wolfe.html). But they both have websites.

Jim
2003-Mar-26, 06:03 PM
Speaking of Chuch Yeagar, Time Magazine selected October 14, 1947 as one of the Eighty Days That Changed the World.

http://www.time.com/time/80days/471014.html

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Mar-27, 03:13 AM
I have always been of the opinion that a few years back, it shouldn't have been John Glenn on the shuttle; he had his chance in space.

It should have been Gen. Yeager -- he was still flight qualified in numerous jet aircraft, and probably could have been shuttle pilot certified without too much trouble.

He should have been given his chance...would have been the ultimate cap in a very long and extremely distinguished career.

Way back when in my Air Force daze, I was a lowly one-striper unloading baggage off the back of a truck when a couple of staff cars drove up and unloaded a high-ranking inspector general team. One guess who walked by maybe 100 feet away...

What's the range limitation on a close encounter with a celebrity?

russ_watters
2003-Mar-27, 07:05 AM
I have the bad version of the movie (its not that bad). I may get that new one though. Looks good - I'm an extras junkie.

sacrelicious
2003-Mar-27, 07:22 AM
I have the bad version of the movie (its not that bad). I may get that new one though. Looks good - I'm an extras junkie.

I have that version too. I'd get the new one just so I wouldn't have to flip the disc halfway trhough. the fact that it's a better transfer and has tons of extras is just icing on the cake!

Glom
2003-Mar-28, 11:18 PM
I have a Region 2 version with no extras, but it's dual layer so I don't have to worry about flipping. Of course, The Right Stuff is such a good movie that it automatically does justice to any DVD it's on. Still, I'll probably buy the new version if it's released on Region 2, assuming of course I haven't diverted all my funds to flying lessons.

The version of Apollo 13 I have has some production notes and commentaries by Ron Howard and Jim and Marilyn Lovell. Still, compared to DVD releases now, which are almost universally double disc with all sorts of extras, the extras on Apollo 13, begin to seem pale.

tracer
2003-Mar-29, 03:41 AM
With regard to the film itself:

I was a little surprised they didn't mention all of the harrowing adventures had by Scott Carpenter and Gordo Cooper on their Mercury flights. Particularly Gordo Cooper. Remember how they made a big deal near the middle of the movie about the Mercury astronauts insisting they have manual control over the retro-rockets and attitude thrusters? Well, in Cooper's Mercury flight, those manual controls were the only thing that saved his life!

Glom
2003-Mar-29, 01:11 PM
Don't forget Wally Schirra and they didn't go into Deke Slayton's bumping from active duty. They did show the launch of Faith 7 at the end, the point being that at that moment, Gordo finally got what he wanted and became the fastest man alive.

The important thing is that at the end, the voice-over described what happened to Gordo Cooper and others, but not what happened to Chuck Yaeger, the point being that the movie got distracted away from the true test pilots, just like the public did.

sacrelicious
2003-Mar-29, 06:58 PM
well keep in mind that theres only so many stories you can fit into a movie without it feeling rushed.

I generally dislike epics for that very reason (and the fact that they are so infuratingly literal most of the time). this is a huge epeic, but it flows so smoothly, because like the best epics it opts for giving you the flavor of the events, without feeling it has to address every single event. it's that choice of suggestion over explicitness that makes it seem so effortless, and also prevents it from being a six hour movie.

kilopi
2003-Mar-29, 09:55 PM
well keep in mind that theres only so many stories you can fit into a movie without it feeling rushed.
Yep. Even the internet isn't big enough yet for a complete treatment of anything.

kilopi
2003-May-02, 05:04 AM
I have always been of the opinion that a few years back, it shouldn't have been John Glenn on the shuttle; he had his chance in space.

It should have been Gen. Yeager -- he was still flight qualified in numerous jet aircraft, and probably could have been shuttle pilot certified without too much trouble.
Plus, Yeager was younger than Glenn.