PDA

View Full Version : Local newspaper hilarity

snarkophilus
2006-May-10, 02:44 AM
I was reading the paper the other day, and it had an article on 73/P Schwassmann-Wachmann. Nothing really informative, mostly just a plug for people to visit the observatory.

There was, however, one gem within that article. "On May 12, the comet will make its closest approach to Earth at 11 km." I'm reasonably certain they meant "11 million km."

A comet 11 km away. Hee hee.

AGN Fuel
2006-May-10, 03:43 AM
I was reading the paper the other day, and it had an article on 73/P Schwassmann-Wachmann. Nothing really informative, mostly just a plug for people to visit the observatory.

There was, however, one gem within that article. "On May 12, the comet will make its closest approach to Earth at 11 km." I'm reasonably certain they meant "11 million km."

A comet 11 km away. Hee hee.

A paper here in Sydney last week mentioned a newly found supernova 65 million kilometres away. Break out the sunscreen....

sarongsong
2006-Jul-27, 07:12 AM
The complete package:

Jul 26, 2006
ANTIQUE PHONE BOOTH includes dial phone, seat, light, fan, bi-fold door & Superman costume! $1000... North County Times (http://nctimes.com/admarket/merchandise/antiques_collectibles/?query=booth&sort=featured+desc+start_date+desc&limit=25)

BigDon
2006-Jul-27, 07:35 AM
There was a funding dispute here a while ago and my older brother cut out the headline and put it in his shadow box. It read, "Police and Fire Dept butt heads!" You'ld think somebody would have stepped back and took a look at that, and say "Hey wait a minute!"

Gillianren
2006-Jul-27, 08:29 AM
As an insult, it's one word. As an expression to mean "perform head-butts," it's two. It's an old expression.

Van Rijn
2006-Jul-27, 08:35 AM
I remember a local paper article on a power plant that was generating "1000 megatons of power."

RUN, RUN! It's gonna BLOW!

Gillianren
2006-Jul-27, 07:16 PM
Our paper once had a headline about the Nisqually earthquake's having disrupted a lake bed and sent "malodorous goo" to the surface. It was the only time our school paper's staff was not totally united in our disdain of the local paper.

clop
2006-Jul-28, 12:51 PM
The syringes I use at work are always labelled in capital letters.

2.5ML SYRINGE. 5ML SYRINGE. 10ML SYRINGE.

I'd really like to see a 10ML syringe.

clop

mugaliens
2006-Jul-29, 04:34 PM
I'd really like to see a 10ML syringe.

clop

Here you go: http://www.bearspage.info/h/tra/ca/bc/va/sea4.html

About a third of the way down, on the left, complete with caption.