PDA

View Full Version : Astrophotos: Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann's All Star Show

Fraser
2006-May-11, 11:46 PM
SUMMARY: Comets have always caused quite a stir throughout history. In the past, they were regarded as harbingers of misfortune and, in fact, our word "disaster" comes from the ancient belief in the calamitous influence of evil ("dis") stars ("astra"). Until slightly more than one hundred years ago, mankind lit their nights by burning wax, oils and gases so that the sky was very black after sunset except, as today, in large cities. Therefore, comets that suddenly erupted in the heavens appeared much more dazzling than they do now - beautiful, mysterious and, to some, terrifying! This weekend, Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann will make its closest approach to Earth at roughly 25 times the distance to the Moon. Its inward trek from the outer solar system has been the source of increasing excitement from modern day sky watchers around the globe but not from fear or worry. This comet has been an eagerly anticipated source of wonder!

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/comet_73p_roundup_051106.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-May-11, 11:53 PM
That's the shot! Great image.

Josh
2006-May-12, 12:04 AM
I reckon! all three of those shots are brilliant!

Ola D.
2006-May-13, 11:55 PM
Great shots! I especially liked the first one.. Awesome!

antoniseb
2006-May-14, 12:17 AM
Great shots! I especially liked the first one.. Awesome!
Ola! Welcome back!