PDA

View Full Version : Favorite science podcast

Lord Jubjub
2006-May-12, 01:06 AM
Perusing the podcasts on iTunes, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see a very large choice of podcasts dedicated to science--both general science and particular disciplines. I subscribed to a few of them, including an astronomy one.

My favorite, though, is the BBC's Naked Scientist. Even though it is an hour long and generally about stuff I pretty much know, I do find the occasional "didn't know that". I also find it fascinating to hear the questions from the listeners. To me, it reveals just how much actual science gets picked up by the interested but otherwise non-scientific.

For those who have listened to podcasts--or any other adult-level science broadcast--what is your favorite?

Coostie
2006-May-12, 05:15 AM
I download Jack Hockheimers Stargazer shows from his website at www.jackstargazer.com. It's a great 5 mins of anybodys time, and if even this is too much, you can download a 1min episode instead.

This is the same show that's on on PBS.

ngc3314
2006-May-12, 04:39 PM
I download Jack Hockheimers Stargazer shows from his website at www.jackstargazer.com. It's a great 5 mins of anybodys time, and if even this is too much, you can download a 1min episode instead.

This is the same show that's on on PBS.

This exchange will be testimony to differences in taste. If Horkheimer's "Star Hustler" spots had been on PBS when I was young, I'd probably have been a paleontologist or something. For some reason, I just can't take the style. Pulled a muscle once lunging for the TV switch upon realizing that it was 10:59 p.m. and it was set to channel 10.

Coostie
2006-May-13, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I understand his voice is probably a little grating for some, but I just recently moved to the US and thought you all sounded like him! lol :D

Van Rijn
2006-May-13, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I understand his voice is probably a little grating for some, but I just recently moved to the US and thought you all sounded like him! lol :D

You're able to tell the difference now, I hope?

I don't quite lunge at the TV remote, but I don't care for it much.