PDA

View Full Version : Spam

cjl
2006-May-13, 01:21 AM
Is it just me, or has there been a lot more junk/spam/ads recently than there has been in the past? I've noticed MANY spam threads in the past couple weeks.

Wolverine
2006-May-13, 02:55 AM
It seems to go in waves. Many thanks to everyone who's used the Report feature to bring spam to our attention. We'll keep eradicating it as quickly as possible.

2006-May-13, 03:20 AM
Many thanks to everyone who's used the Report feature to bring spam to our attention. We'll keep eradicating it as quickly as possible.
It's Whac-A-Mole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whac-A-Mole)! It's too bad the forum software doesn't keep a high-score list.

Celestial Mechanic
2006-May-13, 04:06 AM
It's Whac-A-Mole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whac-A-Mole)! It's too bad the forum software doesn't keep a high-score list.
But why encourage people to do this? :think:

2006-May-13, 05:12 AM
But why encourage people to do this? :think:
Uh... I was referring to a score for reporting spam -- a score in whacking the moles/spammers.

Van Rijn
2006-May-13, 09:37 AM
Of course, they probably get multiple reports for each one.

Yep, I've seen a lot of it recently. Just saw another one. I have to wonder how many threads I haven't seen because they were deleted when I wasn't on? I started speculating that a new user requirement that a thread could only be started after they've written (say) five posts might help . . . then realized that would probably just result in more spam posts and ultimately more work.

Tog
2006-May-13, 09:45 AM
Of course, they probably get multiple reports for each one.

Yep, I've seen a lot of it recently. Just saw another one. I have to wonder how many threads I haven't seen because they were deleted when I wasn't on? I started speculating that a new user requirement that a thread could only be started after they've written (say) five posts might help . . . then realized that would probably just result in more spam posts and ultimately more work.

Yeah, I'd think what we'd end up with there is something like five or ten coppies if the thread they wanted to write in the first plaec tacked onto the most recent in each forum. Not that there wouldn't be some sort of humor in seeing a mortgage copany listed in a life in space thread, but it would get old fast.

I've been wonder what what that spammers thing when they come in here. If they look for other spam threads at all, see none and think that this is a vast untapped resource for them, or oif they just hope that one or two people will use it before they get deleted.

antoniseb
2006-May-13, 10:56 AM
VR and Toq have had some good analysis of the subject. As it is, we do not want to create extra hurdles for real first time members, and we are getting a fair number of those.

Typically spam messages are up for a few minutes during the day (US Time), and sometimes a couple hours late at night. We are very thankful that the membership community helps us spot these things quickly. Lately we've been getting four or five such new threads each day.

TriangleMan
2006-May-13, 12:18 PM
You must be doing a good job because I haven't seen any of those threads/posts in weeks. :cool:

R.A.F.
2006-May-13, 07:21 PM
Is it just me...

No...it's not just you...

It seems to go in waves.

I don't know...to me there are more than "usual".

Fraser
2006-May-13, 10:23 PM
I think it's a function of popularity. The forum is almost in the top 1000 of all discussion forums on the Internet. These people probably share the names of forums that get a significant amount of traffic, and not all of them are watched as carefully as ours is. It must be a hassle to go through the whole registration process for hundreds of forums, and have the threads removed within minutes. But I guess that's just cost of business for a spammer.

Tog
2006-May-13, 11:17 PM
Heh, the other night I saw one ad. The poster had 4 posts when I saw it, 5 when I had finished reporting it, and 8 total when he was banned 10 minutes later, still showing as logged on. That was 2 am Mountain time. It made me wonder how many times each one gets reported.

ToSeek
2006-May-14, 12:46 AM
Heh, the other night I saw one ad. The poster had 4 posts when I saw it, 5 when I had finished reporting it, and 8 total when he was banned 10 minutes later, still showing as logged on. That was 2 am Mountain time. It made me wonder how many times each one gets reported.

We usually get 1-2 reports per spammer, just occasionally 3. (And for anyone who just happens to be reading this thread, if you do want to report an inappropriate post, please use the "report post" function, indicated by the red-rimmed triangular sign icon at the upper right-hand corner of every post. That lets all the moderators know of the problem as well as automatically creating a thread in the admin area so we can log it.)