PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea/Bad Idea

Gillianren
2006-May-14, 03:35 PM
So somebody in the Army training area (in the middle of nowhere without its own phones, apparently) that Graham's currently in decided that they would pass around a cell phone to all those (like Graham) who don't have 'em so they can make Mothers' Day phone calls.

This is a great, wonderful, very thoughtful idea. What's even nicer is that, after calling his actual mother, Graham took a minute to call me. (I get twitchy on Mothers' Day, and even though he's not actually my daughter's father and I don't actually have legal rights to the kid in the first place, I like it being acknowledged, as what mother does not?) Very sweet of him, and now I know about what time he'll be home Wednesday.

What's the bad idea? I was off the phone and trying to get back to sleep well before 8 AM.

If you're a morning person, that may not seem like a big deal, but since my natural wake-up time is closer to 10 or 11 . . . . Besides, don't most people like to sleep in on Sundays? Whereas it's 8:31 AM PDT and I'm awake and posting. At that, I didn't get to sleep until nearly four last night, so I got maybe four hours' sleep. Did the Army not consider that maybe mothers, much as they love hearing from their sons, like to sleep in on today of all days?

sarongsong
2006-May-14, 09:39 PM
Ha, ha---good idea/good idea---think how bummed you'd feel if the call came after you were up (normally), and you were away from the phone on an errand!

Gillianren
2006-May-14, 10:43 PM
That is a remarkably rare occurence.

antoniseb
2006-May-14, 10:46 PM
Hopefully there were some other nice aspects to Mother's day for you.

Gillianren
2006-May-14, 11:42 PM
Yeah, my neighbor and I had a picnic and went for a walk at Tumwater Falls Park, which I hadn't gone to before even though it's not that far from our apartments. There's a river there, which looks so strange to me still--raised in LA county, after all. It was beautiful, and there were cute little kids running around everywhere, generally being chased by their moms.

My present to myself this year (my daughter's never gotten me anything) was a computer game I really liked the demo of. And while I didn't like when Graham called, I did like that he called. And I did get back to sleep eventually and got a couple more hours' worth.

SolusLupus
2006-May-15, 01:31 AM
Sleep is good. Very good.

Tinaa
2006-May-15, 02:18 AM
My friend's husband has called at all hours of the day and night. She's extremely excited to hear from him no matter what time it is. The soldiers are up at all hours. What is the time difference?

Gillianren
2006-May-15, 02:29 AM
Right now? None. That's the fun part. He's in training in California. California is also in Pacific Daylight Time right now. I don't know what the time difference is going to be when he's on active duty, especially because we still don't officially know he's going to Iraq yet.

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-15, 06:59 AM
If he's going to Iraq, you're going to be 11 hours behind him.

Gillianren
2006-May-15, 07:38 AM
Thank you!