PDA

View Full Version : Orbiter - free space flight simulator for PC

duncansharpe
2003-Mar-27, 11:08 AM
I just thought some of you might be interested in a freeware program called 'Orbiter' written by Martin Schweiger. It's a space flight simulator, and has the following features

1. Models the solar system out to Neptune. Actual size, actual movement. The physics is excellent too. And you get to see it all in a 3D DirectX environment.

2. Real and fictional spacecraft. There are fictional high performance spacecraft in which you can learn to orbit. But once you've learned the ropes, you can try the space shuttle.

You can also download additional spacecraft of various kinds, made by other users. You can even download and fly a Saturn V mission to the moon and back, including takeoff, lunar landing, docking and Earth return.

And best of all, it's free.

The web page for it is www.orbitersim.com . There you will find the free download, some screenshots, an active forum, and everything else you'll need to get started. (You need DirectX 7.0 or better as well - get that from Microsoft if you don't already have it)

Duncan

Josh_imported
2003-Mar-27, 11:55 PM
Cool site, Duncansharpe. 8) Thanks a lot for the info. I'm downloading it now. By the way, welcome to the board!

Colt
2003-Mar-28, 05:55 AM
Welcome Sharpe.

I have this program on my computer and it can be quite fun to play around with. I really like some of the fictional craft since they are designed to actually work. The only place I have ever made it from Earth is the Moon though.

Note: This game is easier to play and most easily enjoyed if you have a good joystick. I use the Cyborg 3D Gold (http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborgold.htm) and it is the best joystick I have ever had. No I do not work for Saitek, it just annoys me when someone is trying to play a simulator with a poj (piece of junk) joystick. -Colt

MHS
2003-Mar-28, 07:35 AM
I agree that with a keyboard this game is virtually impossible to play. Still fun though to fly a space shuttle :)

kilopi
2003-Mar-28, 08:15 AM
1. Models the solar system out to Neptune. Actual size,
I don't think it's going to fit in my gameroom. :(

g99
2003-Mar-28, 08:32 AM
1. Models the solar system out to Neptune. Actual size,
I don't think it's going to fit in my gameroom. :(

Than use it as a excuse to get a bigger gameroom. Your significant other has to agree with that logic. :-)

kilopi
2003-Mar-28, 08:44 AM
I dunno, she might understand if I told her I was building a room for Pluto, but Neptune...?

duncansharpe
2003-Mar-28, 10:41 AM
I have to agree - you should get a bigger gameroom rather than moan. It's worth it. Besides, where are you going to put games like 'Homeworld' or 'Master of Orion III' if you can't even get Orbiter in your gameroom?

Duncan

Zamzara
2003-Mar-30, 06:45 PM
How do I get the Saturn V? I can't find it. :-?

duncansharpe
2003-Mar-30, 10:51 PM
The addon isn't called Saturn V (for some unaccountable reason). It's called NASSP. Version 4.0 is just out, but there are a few small bugs in it right at this second - mostly because it's the latest version, and being new, a few small bugs have emerged.

For the full story, go here

http://orbit.m6.net/v2/read.asp?id=7739

Look at the Orbiter addons forum to follow the story in detail.

Duncan

Zamzara
2003-Mar-31, 12:14 AM
Great stuff, thanks. Orbiter is amazing :D