PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a nightmare?

Tom Mazanec
2006-May-16, 10:56 PM
I don't mean a bad dream, but the stereotypical experience some scholars call "the Old Hag" where you wake up unable to move, a malevolent entity enters your room and tries to smother you by kneeling on your chest. I have heard that up to something like a quarter of the population has had this, and often not known that others have as well. It is possibly more common among imaginative people (like us). I once was in bed and wondered "what would it feel like to suffocate" and suddenly could not breathe...I shot bolt upright. Perhaps this was a very abnormal nightmare?
Anyone want to describe if they had this experience? It is something which always fascinated me, how different people in different cultures can have the same bizarre experience and not even know of others having the same one.

Moose
2006-May-16, 11:24 PM
Everything (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis) you wanted to know about the phenomenon called sleep paralysis.

It's more common than you think when you consider that people used to interpret it as a demonic visitation prior to the 50s, when science fiction became popular. Since then, it's frequently been interpreted as alien abductions. Ironically, as mediums have become increasingly popular among the credulous lately, we're seeing a resurgence of folks interpreting it as ghostly visitations.

Anyway, what you've experienced isn't uncommon, so you can take some reassurance from that. We'll be happy to discuss it with you here, as it's an interesting topic and several BAUTers have experienced it. You might also want to look at www.randi.org, where sleep paralysis is a fairly common topic among the JREF forumers.

Titana
2006-May-16, 11:52 PM
I don't mean a bad dream, but the stereotypical experience some scholars call "the Old Hag" where you wake up unable to move, a malevolent entity enters your room and tries to smother you by kneeling on your chest. I have heard that up to something like a quarter of the population has had this, and often not known that others have as well. It is possibly more common among imaginative people (like us). I once was in bed and wondered "what would it feel like to suffocate" and suddenly could not breathe...I shot bolt upright. Perhaps this was a very abnormal nightmare?
Anyone want to describe if they had this experience? It is something which always fascinated me, how different people in different cultures can have the same bizarre experience and not even know of others having the same one.

That has happened to me a couple of times, but only as a child. I have not had a similar experience sense then. Now, I usually have some wierd dreams about either someone or some ugly looking creature chasing me and as much as I want to run I just can't seem to.....:wall:

Titana

Maksutov
2006-May-17, 12:13 AM
Sleep paralysis? About twice a month.
Nightmares? Every night.
Go away upon awakening? No, things just get worse.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/p070.gif

five_distinct
2006-May-17, 01:49 AM
I've had it before....Usually associated with drug use though (Gee, I wonder why..)

Anyway I don't experience the "paralysis" .. more like "I know I'm in a dream, but I'm unable to escape it". Eventually I do, but it seems like I have to let the whole thing play out until the end.

paulie jay
2006-May-17, 02:11 AM
I too get sleep paralysis on a semi regular basis. I never get hallucinations though, and my eyes never open. It used to scare me when I was younger, but I've now learnt to recognise it when it's happening.

jokebert
2006-May-17, 04:09 AM
I have sleep apnea which means that my breathing gets interupted on a regular basis when I fall asleep. This, as you might imagine, leads to many suffocation nightmares. Another side affect of this disorder is excessive tiredness since you never have any satisfying sleep. Sometimes I won't even realize I am sleeping. I'll be watching television or reading or in class and my eyes will be open but I'll be dreaming at the same time. It can be quite annoying, and sometimes embarassing; esspecially when you start snoring loudly in the middle of a lecture or if you realize you have been snoring and drooling on a strangers shoulder on the train. Luckily I have only fell asleep on friendly people's shoulders so far.

mike alexander
2006-May-17, 05:15 AM
One full-blown hypnopompic dream, complete with hallucination, many years ago.

I prefer to never have one again. They are that bad.

mickal555
2006-May-17, 01:12 PM
I don't have nightmare's
or any typical dreams...

Maksutov
2006-May-17, 01:29 PM
One full-blown hypnopompic dream, complete with hallucination, many years ago.

I prefer to never have one again. They are that bad.Lucky you. It's about once a month here. They're out to get me, I tell you!

uniqueuponhim
2006-May-17, 11:01 PM
The sleep paralysis bit happens to be about once or twice a month, but it's always just the paralysis part, and never the "strange entity in your room that wants to molest/kill you" part. I just wake up and can't move a bloody muscle, and it's annoying more than anything (although I admit, I do feel a bit claustrophobic, but I know it'll end after a couple of minutes so I don't worry too much).

As for wierd dreams: A few times now, I've had dreams in which I've been able to figure out I was dreaming. The problem is, I'm still not usually able to control the dreams, or end them when I wanted to. I've had a few where I've been trying to end the dream, and everyone around me (in the dream) thought I was crazy.

afterburner
2006-May-18, 01:44 AM
I just wake up and can't move a bloody muscle, and it's annoying more than anything (although I admit, I do feel a bit claustrophobic, but I know it'll end after a couple of minutes so I don't worry too much).

A couple of minutes?!!!! WHOA! thats a long time...
My good friend experiences sleep paralysis on a regular basis, while awake aswell. Personally, i have never experienced it while wide awake...Only when i wake up from a nightmare, and realize that the nightame itself was caused by sleep paralysis. Never with my eyes open though

Klausnh
2006-May-18, 12:20 PM
I've experienced SP twice. Once with an "alien" next to my bed.
For those who've experienced SP, you can go to psychologist J.Allan Cheyne's site (http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html) and fill out a survey and add to the research on SP.

Doodler
2006-May-18, 04:54 PM
Never had paralysis, but I've come up out of nightmares in absolute cold sweats with the WORST imaginable case of the creeps (this morning, for example). A lot of numbness, but never the inability to move, so I guess you could call it a mild form of SP.