PDA

View Full Version : There's an error message I'd like to see modified

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-18, 10:17 PM
I wonder if the message given when you try to see a thread that got deleted after you loaded the list of threads could get that possibility added to the possibilities.

It's rather unpleasant to be told you've been doing something wrong just because a spammer got his message deleted.

Josh
2006-May-18, 10:21 PM
What's the message?

Van Rijn
2006-May-18, 10:55 PM
I don't remember the exact message, but it does say something about not being authorized to view messages in that area in a rather stringent tone. There is a similar one for posting in a deleted thread. Once I was trying to post on a thread I didn't realize was going to be deleted, and apparently it was deleted between the time I started writing and when I clicked the "Submit" button. When I saw that message (about not being authorized to post messages) for a few seconds I wondered if I had just been banned for some reason . . .

Slightly reworded messages would be nice, perhaps including something like "You may be seeing this message due to a thread deletion."

Fraser
2006-May-18, 11:06 PM
Oh, you had probably reloaded the forum to see a message that had already been moved into the admin section, once the admin had deleted the posting and banned the user.

mickal555
2006-May-19, 01:36 AM
Yeah I get that too...

I don't mind to much, unless it's a non-spam thread, then I get pretty annoyed...

Tinaa
2006-May-19, 03:43 AM
I have seen it when I've tried to remove spam that has was being removed by someone else at the same time.

Josh
2006-May-19, 06:24 AM
Thicker skin could help too :P

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-19, 07:50 AM
Not a very useful suggestion Josh, this is a place where people get permbans for doing things they aren't supposed to, so it's a bad idea to tell them they've done something wrong when they haven't.

Thick skin doesn't help when I'm told my action was unauthorised, whereas adding the most probable possibility "Thread was moved to a protected area" would.

It also lowers confusion for newer users who don't have to wonder if they're going to get banned for it.

hhEb09'1
2006-May-19, 10:10 AM
I thought there was only one skin allowed on the BAUT?

Fraser
2006-May-19, 02:16 PM
Essentially the error is happening because the thread has been moved from an open area into a restricted area of the forum. The URL to the thread doesn't change, only the permission about who's allowed to read the thread - that's why you're getting the error.

What you're asking me to do is beyond my ability, and outside the functionality of the forum. I can't think of a way to have the forum distinguish between the person who just reported a thread, and someone else trying to access a restricted area.

So, when you see that error, just know that you're seeing it because we've fixed the issue. It's an unfortunately worded "thank you" message. ;-)

ToSeek
2006-May-19, 02:26 PM
Not a very useful suggestion Josh, this is a place where people get permbans for doing things they aren't supposed to, so it's a bad idea to tell them they've done something wrong when they haven't.

Thick skin doesn't help when I'm told my action was unauthorised, whereas adding the most probable possibility "Thread was moved to a protected area" would.

It also lowers confusion for newer users who don't have to wonder if they're going to get banned for it.

I understand the issue, but the only warnings you need to worry about are the ones that come from us. The software isn't going to ban you, though I can understand that some newbies might be a little worried.

Jeff Root
2006-May-19, 08:00 PM
What you're asking me to do is beyond my ability, and outside
the functionality of the forum.
I haven't seen the error message and I'm not concerned about it,
but it sounds fairly easy to change. If it is part of the forum
software, just ask the forum software author(s) to modify it.
Otherwise, locate the file containing the text and modify it
yourself in a text editor or hex editor, as required. A decade
ago I helped run a BBS, and virtually all messages were stored
in separate plain-text files that could be easily edited. Even
if the error message in this case is embedded in an .exe file,
it can probably be modified with Resource Hacker, if not an
ordinary hex editor.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-May-19, 09:37 PM
Even if the error message in this case is embedded in an .exe file. . .
That shouldn't be the case. As far as I can tell, vBulletin is written entirely in PHP, an interpreted language. There should be a directory or file for language translations, and that should contain all messages used by the forum software. A simple case of downloading that file, opening it in a text editor, finding the appropriate message, replacing it, then uploading the updated file.

The only thing is, though, that I'm willing to bet that message is a general "permission denied" warning and changing it to read "the thread may have been moved/removed" would end up not making sense in other situations.

I suppose...

<Standard message.> If you were trying to view or respond to a thread, that thread may have been moved to a restricted area.
...might work, though.

Fraser
2006-May-19, 10:08 PM
That's a good compromise. Thanks.

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-20, 01:31 AM
If you see earlier, that was the change I was asking for, add the possibility that it's a moved thread to the general message about permissions.

Jeff Root
2006-May-20, 02:15 AM
If you see earlier, that was the change I was asking for...
Oh, I'm sorry. When Fraser said:

What you're asking me to do is beyond my ability, and outside
the functionality of the forum.
He was talking about:

Thicker skin could help too :P
-- Jeff, in some other place somewhere else, not here

2006-May-21, 01:58 AM
I believe this is the message that Henrik asked to have modified:

<User Name>, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I just got lucky accessing an active-spammer rooney1 article, probably when it was being moved for clean-up.

I thought the text of the message could be useful in this thread, in case someone sees it and does a forum search for the language. Hopefully, to that person, the discussion above will explain what it might also mean.