PDA

View Full Version : Pareidolia example again.

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-19, 08:04 AM
Looks (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4995100.stm) like pareidolia is not limited to christian imagery.

The interesting thing to me is that it's writing that's recognized, not a face.

2006-May-19, 08:13 AM
Officials from the museum and the country's fisheries department have launched a low-profile search for the stolen fish, fearing possible anger from Muslims if they hear it has been stolen.

Shh. Nobody tell them.

publiusr
2006-May-19, 09:08 PM
And I thought that blue marker ink didn't last in water.

Kullat Nunu
2006-May-23, 07:13 PM
One really cool example of both pareidolia and evolution are the Heike crabs in the Japan's Inland Sea.

Since the ancient times, Japanese fishermen have caught these crabs. However, some of them have markings in their backs which resemble a human face. The fishermen believed they were spirits of their ancestors (or ancient warriors, something like that) and let them go. Because they were spared and other crabs weren't, the crabs with faces on their backs became more common.

Such crabs exist only in the Inland Sea of Japan.

2006-May-23, 08:05 PM
Because they were spared and other crabs weren't, the crabs with faces on their backs became more common.

Maybe. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heikea):

The story goes that the crabs with shells resembling Samurai were thrown back, while those not resembling Samurai were eaten, giving the former a greater chance of reproducing. As it turns out, Carl Sagan was wrong about this detail of their evolution. Heikegani reach a maximum size of approximately 30 mm (1.2 inches) carapace width, and are not eaten. All are thrown back into the sea if they are caught.

Noclevername
2007-Apr-11, 09:43 PM
My mother once dragged me out to see a glass window that had the image of "the Virgin Mary" on it. When I saw it, it did indeed have an irridescent streaked pattern of imperfections which looked just like... a blurry, featureless, vaguely humanoid silhouette. People see what they want to see...