PDA

View Full Version : Enough fantasies, here's how it's done.

SAMU
2006-May-20, 11:57 PM
Mind transfer is the way to go. The expensive part is like laying the trans Atlantic cable the first connection is expensive after that the calls are cheep.

First you launch a lot of interstelar probes to find planets to go to. With fly by of stars at a rate of one per probe every 4000 years, 4000 probes will pass one star, on average, every year.

When you find a habitable planet you send a robot vehicle to recieve the mind transfer and implant our mind into a receptive native.

Hopefully, by the time we develop a system capable of the transfer and by the time we find a suitable planet to go to we will have met others from out there who have already established connections with a large number of planets and then we can just trade bodies with them rather than stealing them from them.

So you take a few dozen trips around the galaxy and the local group and 10 billion years passes like nothing. The sun goes nova, the Earth is gone, we have no home and we hope that some planet sends probes out to new planets to find some habitable ones to live on.

mugaliens
2006-May-21, 01:17 AM
Isn't this precisely what the woo-woos claim to have been done to us?

:whistle:

Dragon Star
2006-May-21, 01:50 AM
...The sun goes nova,...

:wall: You have been here for 5 years...what the hell were you doing the whole time?

Bynaus
2006-May-22, 09:29 AM
I agree with SAMU - in the long term, transfering brain patterns ("Uploads") through interstellar space will be the preferred way of travelling over interstellar distances. Interstellar travel per "spaceship" is about as effective as Internet by snail-mail, if you have the ability to "upload".

You have been here for 5 years...what the hell were you doing the whole time?

The sun will "go nova". It will not "go supernova", but the helium-flashes that will ripe off the outer shells of the dying sun and transform it into a white dwarf are commonly referred to as "nova" events (although there are other "nova" events, e.g. in binary star systems).

mugaliens
2006-May-22, 06:29 PM
In about 100 years I suspect we'll be able to take a "snapshot" of the human brain which we can store bio-electronically for later use to imprint into a developing host.

In about 100 years I suspect we'll have roboticized to the point where we could send developing hosts weighing about a pound each for all equipment required to support them along their journey and finish the imprinting process when they're old enough (or perhaps it's done over a long period of time.

So there I am, laying down in this reclining chair, wearing an electrode hat, and the next thing I wake up on this strange, but inhabitable planet with all these strangers, some basic survival equipment, I'm just 7 years old but remember three decades of my life - what happened?

Doodler
2006-May-22, 09:40 PM
:rolleyes:

Why not just go the Frank Herbert route and beat the stuffing out of a clone till it remembers?

Dragon Star
2006-May-22, 10:10 PM
The sun will "go nova". It will not "go supernova", but the helium-flashes that will ripe off the outer shells of the dying sun and transform it into a white dwarf are commonly referred to as "nova" events (although there are other "nova" events, e.g. in binary star systems).

:naughty:

But for white dwarf's to begin accretion of hydrogen...a companion star is a requirement, no? Because a Roche lobe is required for Novae in the first place...

loglo
2006-May-23, 12:03 AM
In about 100 years I suspect we'll be able to take a "snapshot" of the human brain which we can store bio-electronically for later use to imprint into a developing host.snip

This is the premise for Robert J Sawyer's "Mindscan" novel. The quantum state of the brain is entangled with a bare matrix in a robotic brain. The advantage is that the original brain doesn't get destroyed in the reading process. This would be a neat trick but I'm not sure how realistic a possibility it is.