PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon! [SPOILERS]

Vermonter
2006-May-21, 04:19 AM
Anyone catch this flick yet? I went and saw it in the theatre with some friends of mine...I thought it was really subpar. The action was a mix of Final Destination and The Day After Tomorrow. You could pretty much guess who was going to die, and in what order. I really couldn't sympathize with any of the leading characters, they were quite shallow. I did like the part when the boat gets nailed, and everything goes to hell...but they do that within the first ten minutes of the film, and barely introduce the characters. You know who the leads are just because the camera spends more time on them, it's not about the lines. I think they rushed it, too...they did the whole thing in a little over an hour and a half, which is too bad. I'd honestly rather watch Over the Hedge again than Poseidon again...

Parrothead
2006-May-21, 12:48 PM
I figure with this one, I'd wait until its released on DVD and maybe rent it. There was the made for tv "Poseiden Adventure" recently and of course, the original 1972 movie. You might want to rent the original for comparison. Dang, now I have that song The Morning After playing in my head.

soylentgreen
2006-May-21, 04:42 PM
You could pretty much guess who was going to die, and in what order. I really couldn't sympathize with any of the leading characters, they were quite shallow.
Yes it was pretty much curved along skin color...unbelievably.

The entire film(all 92 minutes of it!)was just a marketing formula in action. That Black-Eyed Pea as the singer...c'mon. I'd be willing to bet Wolfgang Petersen had no idea who the hell Fergie was before she was foisted on the production by studio hacks. Andre Braugher...wasted. Josh Lucas...pickin' up his check. Kurt Russell...coasting. Richard Dreyfuss...blackmailed into it I'm assuming. The hideous remaining cast abducted from WB casting agents.

Sure, they based it on the original novel...they took part of the title and the most basic core point and threw the rest overboard. I've played Atari 2600 games with more character development. Just a bunch of wet cyphers gasping through one late-20th-century-action-film-set-piece after another.

Lots of people are snarking on the tv-remake they did recently. Obviously it had 1/2,000,000th the budget, but at least they included characters from the original story, you actually felt like they were moving through a ship something that made a crucial difference in the orignal film as well(rather than the generic warehousey/industrial facility sets of POSEIDON)and they managed to give Belle Rosen a different yet decent death scene.

I understand that with POSEIDON, the director was forced by the studio to trim the film rather extensively. Anyone who has seen this can probably relate to feeling as if being shot by one of Michael Crichton's LOOKER guns! I'm guessing that whatever was cut would have to be quite significant for it's inclusion in a director-cut dvd to make any improvement.

Shame really. I think even Petersen's ENEMY MINE worked way better than this. Then again, for the last ten years or so, he's been very hit and miss. :(

Gillianren
2006-May-21, 04:58 PM
I give a friend cheesy movies for Christmas every year, and his copy of The Poseidon Adventure is still in its original packaging. We are, however, talking about actually opening it and then going to see the new one. However, since it isn't apparently even in the "so bad it's funny" category, I think we may give it a miss after all.

soylentgreen
2006-May-21, 05:04 PM
I give a friend cheesy movies for Christmas every year, and his copy of The Poseidon Adventure is still in its original packaging. We are, however, talking about actually opening it and then going to see the new one. However, since it isn't apparently even in the "so bad it's funny" category, I think we may give it a miss after all.

If you have some dollar/3rd run theatre near you and it shows up there, it just might be worth checking out. For the amount of car commercials, military ads, promos inviting you to come to the theatre(which, of course, you're already there!)and pathological cell-phone checkers you'll be forced to deal with at a major 1st run theatre...it just isn't worth it.

MrClean
2006-May-21, 05:23 PM
I'd rather watch Tom Cruise advertise Placenta Helper.

Vermonter
2006-May-21, 05:26 PM
I think I'll stay away from that one. I only watched the first one, didn't have the heart to watch the second, though I did enjoy the song Metallica did for it...