PDA

View Full Version : The Cover

Tito_Muerte
2003-Mar-29, 04:35 PM
Does anyone happen to know the significance behind using that perticular picture on the cover of the book?
I read the entire thing in hopes of finding out why that perticular picture was used....but there was never any mention of it.....

gethen
2003-Mar-29, 04:40 PM
I thought the pic was the actors using a pooper scooper to clean up after the directors dog that got loose on the set.
Sorry, that was rude. I don't know why the particular picture either.

Tito_Muerte
2003-Mar-29, 04:55 PM
heh heh, thanks...that was clever.... :D

But, seriously, does anyone out there know why that particuler photo was used? I'd email Phil...but, alas....I wouldn't get a reply for some months......

Speaking of which, who else remembers the time when you could email phil and get a response back by the end of the day?? Ah, those were the days...

kilopi
2003-Apr-04, 05:38 AM
Speaking of which, who else remembers the time when you could email phil and get a response back by the end of the day??
I do. But then it was only a couple weeks ago (http://mentock.home.mindspring.com/index2.htm).

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Apr-04, 06:01 AM
The cover was not my choice; the editors picked it. I didn't like it, really. It is two astronauts practicing for their jaunt on the Moon. I'm not sure which astronauts they are, but the picture is not of actors. It's supposed to be ironic, I guess: in a sense, NASA did fake things, like putting a test pilot into a flight simulator is a fake. But it's a real fake.

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-04, 04:50 PM
Ah, you know Phil, I kinda figured it wasn't your choice.....leave it to the editors to think up some irrelevent picture.

Anyway, thanks for answering.

(And good job on reaming out Discover magazine in your review of The Core.) Speaking of which, did anybody else see that silly Discover article on Einstein being wrong?

David Hall
2003-Apr-04, 04:58 PM
So BA, what was your idea for the cover?

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-04, 05:45 PM
I second that question.... BA, What was your idea for the cover ?

Chuck
2003-Apr-05, 08:59 PM
I think a picture of three astronauts standing on the lunar surface, one of whom is trying to balance an egg, would be ideal.

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-06, 12:44 AM
...and maybe one should have a newspaper out, checking his horoscope

g99
2003-Apr-06, 12:45 AM
Don't forget a flaming Planet X flying in from the corner!

Also you should include a handyman gluing stars onto the background.

Reacher
2003-Apr-22, 01:15 PM
and some stage lights and sound equipment protruding from the sides.

Glom
2003-Apr-28, 08:38 PM
With some other guy getting water poured in his face through a tube.

NASA Fan
2003-Sep-18, 04:04 AM
Also you should include a handyman gluing stars onto the background.

Shouln't the handyman be pulling the stars down?

In all seriousness, I am glad that the picture was explained. I was confused since you could see the astronauts face through the visor. That seemed wrong, based on everything I know--or think I know--about the Apollo program.

Another Phobos
2004-Jun-25, 03:20 PM
I was wondering about the cover photo too. Glad that's resolved.

It's also nice to see that NASA's "fake" set is unconvincing as a real moon scene.

Now that you're a famous author, Phil, you might get some say in the cover art of your next book!

milli360
2004-Jun-25, 05:52 PM
With some other guy getting water poured in his face through a tube.
Uh, it's not in his face exactly. :)

Unless you're not talking about the boy scout trick on page 110. Now I know why glom doesn't like to resurrect threads (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14247). Blame Another Phobos. :)

Master258
2004-Jul-01, 04:19 AM
confused since you could see the astronauts face through the visor.

I never really thought about that

Morrolan
2004-Jul-02, 05:53 AM
It's also nice to see that NASA's "fake" set is unconvincing as a real moon scene.

no, that is the fake fake set... you know, the one they made to make the fake training pictures so they could use them to offset the good fake pictures from the real fake moonlanding to counter claims made by those that saw through the charade...

... #-o

i think i'll go and lie down now for a bit...