PDA

View Full Version : The Ozone Layer's Recovering

Fraser
2006-May-30, 04:31 PM
SUMMARY: Over the last few decades, scientists have been tracking the depletion of the ozone layer in the Earth's atmosphere. A large hole still opens up over Antarctica, but ozone levels worldwide have stopped declining. The question is why. The relatively recent reduction of ozone-destroying gasses shouldn't make an improvement so quickly. NASA scientists think that atmospheric wind patterns could be transferring ozone around the planet, helping with the recovery. At this rate, we'll return to 1980 levels between 2030 and 2070.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/ozone_layer_healing.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

ppaulk
2006-May-30, 05:52 PM
I had read that ozone can be created in lightning strikes. Due to the increased intensity and severity of storms, caused by global warming, might we have a greater amount of ozone in the lower atmosphere.

Thanks, Philip

Joff
2006-May-30, 06:48 PM
Could be - but that won't help the ozone layer unfortunately. Tropospheric ozone is an undesirable poison (and a short-lived greenhouse gas I believe). The ozone layer that protects us from UV radiation is in the stratosphere.

ppaulk
2006-May-31, 07:21 PM
First, thanks for the insights, but I do know that ozone at ground level is poisonous. From what I have read, most of the ozone, or more specifically NO, that is created by lightning occurrences in the upper troposphere (the stratosphere is the next layer). There is some transfer of winds and gases between the upper and lower atmosphere (especially at the equator, where the ozone layer is thickest). Also, there is the phenomena of sprites the actually strike between the tropospere and ionosphere: could they increase the amount of ozone producing NO in the stratosphere.

By the way, I am also aware of the fact that sprites are only emitted in the largest thunder storms, thus bringing us back to my original proposition, or question: could the increased intensity and frequency of storms and thus lightning account for the greater than expected thickening of the ozone layer.

Thanks, Philip

PhantomWolf
2006-May-31, 08:24 PM
Could be two other possiblities too.

Increased solar activity = increased solar radiation = increased ozone production.

A Natural cycle of opening and closing which has reached past its midpoint and is now closing again. With the reduction of compounds that have helped keep it open, it's closing faster than expected.

Cohen the Barbarian
2006-Jun-01, 08:33 AM
<quote>
Whatever the explanation, if the trend continues, the global ozone layer should be restored to 1980 levels sometime between 2030 and 2070. By then even the Antarctic ozone hole might close--for good.
</quote>

Around 30 years ago the existance of a hole in the ozone layer was discovered. Since then it has fluctuated in size due to causes which are uncertain.
Nobody seems to have any idea of what the situation was prior to the discovery; perhaps the hole has always existed and human activity has only made it worse.

Roy

raghunaram@yahoo.com
2006-Jun-07, 12:00 PM
Its good news Ozone is recovering on the eve of "World Environment Day" though we have little to our credit in this. Let this message not encourage increased exploitation by nations.
Lets live in harmony with nature.
Mahatma Gandhi says " Earth has everything to support mans need, but not for his greed".
this news i feel greatly proves these words which has been again and again told by great men all over the world.

N.Sri Raghunandan Kumar,
Secretary General,
Planetary Society,India