PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons 3/30/03 (30/3/03)

g99
2003-Mar-31, 01:31 AM
Did anybody see todays simpsons? Great :-)

All about astronomy and the quest to get rid of light polution by Lisa. Funny..

Hale_Bopp
2003-Mar-31, 01:39 AM
Darn...someone beat me to starting this thread :)

Some BA points :

1. The Deadly Meteor shower named after Professor Deadly. Meteor showers are named by the constellation that conatains the radian, not after a person.

2. What kind of telescope did Lisa have? It looked like a Newtonian as the eyepiece was on the side, but it was toward the back of the optical tube, not the front...that's just strange.

3. Venus was 27 degrees in the sky...it would not be full at the altitude. It is only truly full when it is directly opposite the Sun from the Earth...if it appears full, it will be close to the Sun.

4. Polaris appeared kind of close to Orion in the planetatium show. However, there was a quip about being viewed from Rigel 7, not Earth.

The anti light pollution message is still appretiated!

Rob

g99
2003-Mar-31, 01:58 AM
Na na na na na na!! :P

-------

5. There were also too many darn bright stars in the sky.

6. How could the cameras catch the simpson family and the stars at the same time?

8. The alien in the meteor could not've survived the impact and spacetravel inside it. The amount of necessary storage space for life support would've been much bigger than the meteror had.

9. Everyone knows that Astronomers are afraid of microscopes, but they will use deadly physics footnotes and paper cuts to get into the only observatory in town.

[edited poor grammer :-) ]

Durandal
2003-Mar-31, 02:55 AM
I was personally laughing my [sitting apparatus] off throughout the episode. The whole crack about astronomers being hermit crabs was just hilarious.

"I thought you said he was out of microscopes!"

The only thing I laughed harder at was Fat Tony's henchmen beating the crap out of a bird that landed on his car.

"You're gonna be suckin' worm paste tru' a straw!"

g99
2003-Mar-31, 02:56 AM
Not to sound mean, but this is a family board. Can you please edit for language? Thanks. :-)

Durandal
2003-Mar-31, 03:00 AM
Done. I'm used to much more ... liberal discussion boards. :)

g99
2003-Mar-31, 03:03 AM
Thanks alot. :-)

Dickenmeyer
2003-Mar-31, 03:35 AM
Bad Simpsons! The Deadly Meteors came from all over the sky instead of from an apparent radiant point.

kilopi
2003-Mar-31, 04:43 AM
Guys, guys. Homer regularly drops radioactive ingots down his pants and no one complains. Aliens visit too.

8. The alien in the meteor could not of survived the impact and spacetravel inside it. The amount of necessary storage space for life support would of been much bigger than the meteror had.
That said, I want to correct one of my few grammar peeves: "could not of" should be "could not've" and "would of" should be "would've". Peace, out.

g99
2003-Mar-31, 04:56 AM
Grapes; thanks.
I suck at grammar. But you know that. Surprisingly English is my first language, just not my best.

Kaptain K
2003-Mar-31, 05:04 AM
4. Polaris appeared kind of close to Orion in the planetatium show. However, there was a quip about being viewed from Rigel 7, not Earth.

Since Rigel is a star in Orion, the constellation would not have been recognisable (and it very definitely was). So that explanation is out. :)

kilopi
2003-Mar-31, 05:05 AM
You're welcome. I don't usually jump on those sort of things but I found myself using" of" in just that way--when I should of used "''ve", and so now I'm extremely vigilant. :)

Ba Witda
2003-Mar-31, 05:15 AM
To be more exact, it should be "have," rather than "of." That is, have is where the 've comes from, which is why that is the correct form.

g99
2003-Mar-31, 05:19 AM
From now on i am making up my own language with my own grammar. it is G'bish. Similar to Hubbish, but anything i write is gramatically correct. :-)

kilopi
2003-Mar-31, 05:32 AM
To be more exact, it should be "have," rather than "of." That is, have is where the 've comes from, which is why that is the correct form.
But the mistake happens only when someone uses "'ve"--it's pronounced the same as "of" and so it's mispelled as "of".

OTOH, I'm with g99, except I'm going with HUb'ish, as it already is well established, and has a large base of literate users.

Ba Witda
2003-Mar-31, 05:48 AM
Or Kilopi could use Ba-ish. It's exactly like regular English, only it's spoken exclusively in the third person.

kilopi
2003-Mar-31, 06:00 AM
He'll try it.

Ba Witda
2003-Mar-31, 06:06 AM
Ba is pleased. More people should take up His ways, and become devout followers of Ba.

g99
2003-Mar-31, 06:40 AM
g99 would like to follow ba, but since g99 is his own supreme deity it would be herasy to follow another. g99 woulds have to smite himself.

Ba Witda
2003-Mar-31, 07:03 AM
*Smites g99*

*Realizes thread is going off topic*

So, how 'bout them stars? Nice and, um, starry, huh?

ToSeek
2003-Mar-31, 03:39 PM
From now on i am making up my own language with my own grammar. it is G'bish. Similar to Hubbish, but anything i write is gramatically correct. :-)

And speled corectly, I asume.

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-31, 03:58 PM
8. The alien in the meteor could not've survived the impact and spacetravel inside it. The amount of necessary storage space for life support would've been much bigger than the meteror had.

No, no, this is fine. The consumables were just frozen gasses that made up the shell of the "asteroid" (actually, more like a comet). During normal operation they provide radiation shielding as well as air and water, and they act as a heat shield should the craft suffer an unexpected (or intended) reentry. It's a rather efficient design, actually. But of course, they do tend to vaporize during the deceleration phase... :wink:

g99
2003-Mar-31, 04:16 PM

And speled corectly, I asume.

fo curse! wyh woldnt ti? :-)

sacrelicious
2003-Mar-31, 08:08 PM
okay, how come now one has pointed out that there is no Carl Carlson constellation?

the simpsons have lied to me for that last time!!!!!!

Val Trottan
2003-Mar-31, 08:20 PM
Y'all need a pill. It was an episode of the Simpsons, not Nova.
I thought it was a great way to get astronomy out there to kids.

Now ...

The Rigel 7 thing is an ongoing joke on the Simpsons. Kang and his comrade, the squid-like, drooling, green alien often featured comes from there. The dig at the plane-arium, (what show is that from?), said that it, not Earth, was the only place intelligent life was to be found in the Milky Way.

In 2001, while watching the Leonid storm, I saw a few a FEW meteors which did go askew from the rest. Certainly not as askew as depicted on the show last night, but again ... we're talking about the Simpsons.
Why not tear apart all the bad astronomy on Futurama?

Heh.

SeanF
2003-Mar-31, 08:44 PM
. . . the plane-arium, (what show is that from?) . . .

South Park. Specifically, from the rather inexplicably titled episode Roger Ebert Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods.

The guy supposedly had a speech impediment that made him unable to pronounce the letter 'T'. As I recall, though, it only seemed to affect the word "Plane-arium." :)

g99
2003-Mar-31, 09:26 PM
Kang and his comrad (kodos) are husband and wife. One is a girl. I think it is kodos.

captain swoop
2003-Apr-01, 12:13 PM
Kang and his comrad (kodos) are husband and wife (snip) .

not always.

sacrelicious
2003-Apr-01, 04:24 PM
Why not tear apart all the bad astronomy on Futurama?

Heh.

cause it's not nice to speak ill of the dead :(

sacrelicious
2003-Apr-01, 04:25 PM
. . . the plane-arium, (what show is that from?) . . .

South Park. Specifically, from the rather inexplicably titled episode Roger Ebert Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods.

The guy supposedly had a speech impediment that made him unable to pronounce the letter 'T'. As I recall, though, it only seemed to affect the word "Plane-arium." :)

uh, from what I recall it was "planet-arium", not "plane-arium"

Val Trottan
2003-Apr-01, 06:43 PM
I wrote it as plane-arium to drop the "t" which was the point.
He pronounces it as "plaah-neh-AIR-ee-um."

SeanF
2003-Apr-01, 07:47 PM
Plane-arium is the way I'd write it, too. Since seeing that episode, I have to force myself to pronounce it normally! :)

BTW, I know we're pretty much all sci-fi geeks here, but that episode of South Park is so much better if you're familiar with Dagger of the Mind.

(BTW, check out the Star Trek (http://www.startrek.com/) Home Page today!) :D

g99
2003-Apr-01, 09:13 PM
(BTW, check out the Star Trek (http://www.startrek.com/) Home Page today!) :D

heheh. Chatting with a tribble. Priceless. :-)

Hale_Bopp
2003-Apr-02, 06:12 AM
In one episode, Kang referred to "my sister, Kodos."

In another episdoe, they pretend to be newlyweds hitchhiking to "Earth Capital".

So the relationship goes through many incarnations...we do know that they need to exchage long protein strands :lol:

Rob

g99
2003-Apr-02, 06:18 AM
In one episode, Kang referred to "my sister, Kodos."

In another episdoe, they pretend to be newlyweds hitchhiking to "Earth Capital".

So the relationship goes through many incarnations...we do know that they need to exchage long protein strands :lol:

Rob

hmmm..Maybe they are from the Alabama region of rigel 7?

[Runs and hides for his life] :-)

Calculon
2003-Jul-01, 11:50 PM
I believe Lisa's telescope is a modified Cassegroening...

Odinoneeye
2003-Jul-08, 06:19 AM
When debating all these physics/astronomy problems in the Simpsons, remember, we are dealing with a 2D universe. Physical properties don't work exactly the same.

captain swoop
2003-Jul-08, 08:04 AM
When debating all these physics/astronomy problems in the Simpsons, remember, we are dealing with a 2D universe. Physical properties don't work exactly the same.

In fact there is a 'Treehouse of Horror' story where Homer and Bart get sucked through into a 3D universe.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-08, 04:51 PM

In fact there is a 'Treehouse of Horror' story where Homer and Bart get sucked through into a 3D universe.

And Homer finally realizes that he is fat.

captain swoop
2003-Jul-09, 11:09 AM

But makes for the cake shop anyway.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-09, 07:26 PM

But makes for the cake shop anyway.

In the only time that a simpsons character appears in the real world "Who framed roger rabbit" style. :-)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 12:29 AM
Nope. When Bart and Lisa are sucked into the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, they fall into an episode of Regis and Kathy-Lee.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 12:32 AM
Nope. When Bart and Lisa are sucked into the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, they fall into an episode of Regis and Kathy-Lee.
Really? Is it live action or drawn? I don't remeber that one at all.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 12:33 AM
Live action. They land in a soup pot and Regis gets soup in his eyes.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 12:34 AM
Here's a pic:

http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/famosos/AABF01RegisPhilbin&KathieLeeGifford.jpg

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 12:36 AM
Well call me wrong. :-)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 12:36 AM
Wrong. :)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 12:54 AM
Arrr...me matey! you take stuff to literally!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 01:02 AM
Ahh, but you see, it's funnier that way and you can't tell me I'm doing something wrong because you asked me to do it! Simple things amuse simple minds...

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 01:19 AM
Arrr....You smart aleck do-gooder. I feel a swash buckeling good time coming up. Put him in irons my minions. The Canuck is walking the plank.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 01:21 AM
Hold on. I can use a sword! En Garde!

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 01:24 AM
Aha! I can too, well i have watched movies where they can! So....

Swish! , Slash!, "Hiya!", Grunt, "Haha!"

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 01:34 AM
*Parrys*

*Pokes hole in Humphrey*

HA HA!

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 01:36 AM
* with last remaining breath takes gun out of side pocket and Indiana jones style blows a hole in Canuck. *

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 01:40 AM
:o

Ah nuts.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 02:19 AM
Don't worry. At least we both got eachother. Now who got the last word?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 02:23 AM
Me (HA HA) just before you shot me. BTW, thanks a lot. [-X

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:07 AM
Me (HA HA) just before you shot me. BTW, thanks a lot. [-X

Your welcome.

But what by chance were your parting words? I missed them. #-o

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:10 AM
They were "HA HA"

The "Ah nuts" came after I was dead.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:13 AM
How do you speak after you were dead?

More importantly, how are we conversing now?

--------------------

I feel my parting words have a more resounding stupidity than yours: "And please remeber to take care of the flour betty...."

And Glom and Colt, you cannot get my sterio. But you can fight over my car.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:14 AM
Who wants all of my gold?

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:15 AM
I do!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:17 AM
You're dead. Sit down.

Anyone else?

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:20 AM
Dang. Meanie!

[-(

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:22 AM
Well, what would you do with it? You are dead, aren't you?

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:25 AM
Shhh......THEY will hear you.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:26 AM
Who's "they"?

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:28 AM
Oh! and if anyone wants my pets, they can, just have to promise to give them a good home. :-)

P.S. Canuck: I have thought about it and i have decided to let someone else have your gold. Where i am going, I am reviered as the all mighty deity of anything random.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:29 AM
Who's "they"?

The loud ones with really good hearing.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:31 AM
Wait, that means I'm one of THEY! And I've already heard... :)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 03:33 AM
Wait, that means I'm one of THEY! And I've already heard... :) :o

Oops.....

[Humphrey hides behind a big rock]

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:48 AM
*Laughs and shakes head slowly*

Musashi
2003-Jul-10, 03:49 AM
I'll take the gold, but I'm no good with pets.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 03:51 AM
Alrighty, I've put the gold in the mail, you should have it in few days. Enjoy! (I hope it's not cursed...)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 04:26 AM
Alrighty, I've put the gold in the mail, you should have it in few days. Enjoy! (I hope it's not cursed...)

If it is you can get a cool eye patch as a compensation prize. :-)

Musashi
2003-Jul-10, 05:49 AM
Sweet!

I wish there was a pirate emoticon! :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 05:51 AM
Arrr...yes. I just saw pirates of the carribean and i am in a pirate kind of mood.

yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirates life for me.... 8)

Musashi
2003-Jul-10, 05:54 AM
I found a pirate emoticon, but of course, it is not on the board. I also found one for TSC.

:(

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 05:59 AM
whats the link?

Musashi
2003-Jul-10, 06:13 AM
http://www.iepema.nl/leerling/sm/pirat2.gif

Musashi
2003-Jul-10, 06:17 AM
For The Supreme Canuck:

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/maple/mapleleaf.gif

from this page:

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/html/provincial.ani.page2.htm

ocasey3
2003-Jul-10, 07:48 AM
I found a very bad thing :D

Here's another pirate for ya..http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-056.gif

and just for fun
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/starwars/star-wars-smiley-023.gif

and now for something completely different
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/alles_moegliche/mixed-smiley-006.gif

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 04:54 PM
hehe thanks musashi! http://www.iepema.nl/leerling/sm/pirat2.gif

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 04:33 AM
:lol:

Too bad I'm too lazy to use it. Much...

pi is exactly 3
2003-Jul-30, 01:45 AM
What the heck happened to this thread. so far we have talked about simpsons, talking in third person, fixing peoples grammar. pirates, someone's gold and someone's pets. sheesh.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 02:50 AM
It was pirated. :o

Humphrey
2003-Jul-30, 03:04 AM
Arrr...me matey!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 03:05 AM
Aye, bucko! 'Tis a fine evenin' fer such a ruckas!

Humphrey
2003-Jul-30, 03:23 AM
Aye! Squak!

Grab ay sem rum and take to the seas lookin' for them dreaded incan gold!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 03:25 AM
Aye! An' then the lot 'o us can roam the seas, plunderin' an' highjackin' until our greed's finally done with! Not likely t' happen any time soon, me hearties! ARRRR!

freddo
2003-Jul-30, 03:41 AM
What the heck happened to this thread. so far we have talked about simpsons, talking in third person, fixing peoples grammar. pirates, someone's gold and someone's pets. sheesh.

The people who posted above myself are professional thread terrorists. They highjack threads and hold them at ransom! :lol:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 03:45 AM
Ransom? I never thought of that... How much can I get for the safe return of a thread? :P

freddo
2003-Jul-30, 03:58 AM
Ransom? I never thought of that... How much can I get for the safe return of a thread? :P

I remember a certain 'are you a dis-info agent?' thread in which you revealed you were being compensated. :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 04:04 AM
Ummm... I... uh... look over there! Something shiny!

*Runs*

freddo
2003-Jul-30, 04:07 AM
Oooh, something shiny!!!

[stoops.]

Hey!! :evil:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 04:09 AM
I could get away with so much if that actually worked in real life.

Musashi
2003-Jul-30, 04:27 AM
freddo: Busted! You are just as guilty of fluff posts as us! Well, not as guilty, but guilty!

BTW, I am not a professional threadjacker, it is just a hobby for me. :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 04:28 AM
Traitor! :)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-30, 04:53 AM
I am a disinfo agent. By profession.

Little known fact: Dis-info agent is one of the few remaining careers that require you to be trained under a master disinfo agent before setting out on your own path. The upcoming disinfo agent must be weened and cultured into the dis0info guild's society and rules. It takes years to aquirte the necessary skills. Few atain perfection in the fireld. They are higly prized weorkers and are traded between countries at a price higher than platinum.

Odinoneeye
2003-Jul-30, 05:17 AM
If a disinfo agent and and info agent touch, is there an explosion?

Can we use this process for cheap clean energy?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 05:20 AM
As a disinfo agent I'd have to say no to both questions. But that's probably because I don't want to get turned into fuel. :o

Musashi
2003-Jul-30, 05:24 AM
And I'm not a traitor! Think of me as a mercenary threadjacker!

freddo
2003-Jul-30, 05:25 AM
freddo: Busted! You are just as guilty of fluff posts as us! Well, not as guilty, but guilty!

BTW, I am not a professional threadjacker, it is just a hobby for me. :D

Tee hee!! :lol:

You know I just can't resist a one-liner! Most of my posts in the pX forum are of the incredulous type...

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 05:29 AM
And I'm not a traitor! Think of me as a mercenary threadjacker!

Fair enough. Mercenary is a very respectable job. I actually have a neighbour who's a mercenary. No joke.

Musashi
2003-Jul-30, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I have heard of real mercs, but never met one. That would be an interesting job, to say the least.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 05:39 AM
He's not a mercenary in the sense that he shoots things. He goes to countries and teaches them how to shoot things. He just got back from the Phillipines a few months ago. We think. He doesn't talk about it much.

Musashi
2003-Jul-30, 05:40 AM
Still interesting. :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-30, 05:42 AM
Without question. I wonder how you go about getting hired by a government to do that sort of work. I'd really like to see this guy's resume! :o

tracer
2003-Jul-30, 09:32 PM
Does he wear disguises a lot, and hang around with Face Man, B.A. Baracus, and Howling Mad Murdock?

(If so, he'd be lousy at teaching people how to shoot things. They blaze away on full auto every episode, and never manage to hit anybody.)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Aug-01, 01:08 AM
We don't really know that much about him. And he likes it that way.

Odinoneeye
2003-Aug-05, 05:44 AM
I wonder if he can make a tank, a nuclear missle and a delictable 7 course meal out of the things in the garage he just happens to be locked into.

Roy Batty
2003-Aug-05, 06:47 PM
I'm sure I saw that episode of McGuyver the other day, but wasnt it merely a 6 course meal? :wink:

heh.. just realised I managed to make the post Simpsons related (just) :)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Aug-05, 09:11 PM
I know that he can make rockets out of cigar wrappers, baking soda and lime juice!

kilopi
2003-Oct-12, 08:37 AM
2. What kind of telescope did Lisa have? It looked like a Newtonian as the eyepiece was on the side, but it was toward the back of the optical tube, not the front...that's just strange.

I believe Lisa's telescope is a modified Cassegroening...
Maybe it was something like this telescope (http://www.meade.com/catalog/etx/etx_mak.html).