PDA

View Full Version : Constellation Canes Major Image

stu
2006-Jun-01, 06:13 AM
Taken way back at the end of March 2006, and finally got around to processing. It was taken with a 43 mm lens on a Canon Digital Rebel XT 350D.

The main image is three stacked images of 330, 330, and 281 seconds each (941 seconds total, or 15 minutes 41 seconds). I separated out the RGB channels, dark-subtracted, and fit a 2-D polynomial to flat-field instead of doing normal flat fields (the vignetting is the major issue with normal camera lenses, and the 2-D fit does a fine job in fixing this).

After creating a master R, G, and B, channel and re-combining them, I adjusted levels and curves in PhotoShop, and very slightly adjusted the color. I went through the same thing with an image taken with a cross-screen filter over the lens to add the diffraction spikes.

I overlaid a copy of the final image on itself, super-color-saturated it, blurred it, and overlaid it to create the glow around the brighter stars. Then I overlaid the diffraction spike image. That created the final version (with a little more minor processing) and extensive work to try to remove the clouds and airplanes the flew in front of the field during the shots, though they're still somewhat visible.

I've included scaled-down versions (so they'd fit on this board), where one is annotated with constellations, names of stars, and some objects that can be seen. The other is not annotated.

As usual, questions/comments/critique/compliments/etc. are welcome.

mickal555
2006-Jun-01, 08:11 AM
Cool- love the colour :D :clap:

JAICOA
2006-Jun-01, 02:03 PM
Am i looking at a astronomy magazine?. Well done the first post i have seen like this, different and very infomative and creative. overall Outstanding.

Shalom
2006-Jun-01, 02:32 PM
Very nice Stu,
Well done.

stu
2006-Jun-01, 05:57 PM
No, it's not an astronomy magazine picture, it's one that I took ;). I just wish that I could post larger images here so that you could really see the color and labeling (I had to reduce it to about 20% full size and reduce the quality of the JPG to post :().

Melusine
2006-Jun-01, 08:32 PM
No, it's not an astronomy magazine picture, it's one that I took ;). I just wish that I could post larger images here so that you could really see the color and labeling (I had to reduce it to about 20% full size and reduce the quality of the JPG to post :().
When I open up the photo and enlarge it I can see the labeling very clearly, and Sirius is a dazzling blue/white! Nice that you did the labeling and have them side by side. Why not put them on an image-hosting site? Like Flickr or something? The unlimited size ones usually cost $. I pay for one, but it's worth it to me.

Nice work. :)