PDA

View Full Version : Colliding Galaxies Simulated

Fraser
2006-Jun-05, 02:27 PM
SUMMARY: Just like many businesses, galaxies grow through mergers and acquisitions. As galaxies are made up of countless individual stars, simulating these mergers is tremendously challenging, even for the most powerful supercomputers. A international team of researchers have produced a new simulation that shows how colliding galaxies are connected by a “bridge” of material, and spew out enormous tails of dust and debris. New programming and hardware upgrades have made this kind of simulation possible to do.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/galaxy_collision_einstein.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

ChrisColes
2006-Jun-06, 09:09 AM
Your report would have at least partial credibility if the authors could show us an example of what they had simulated. Without an example that matches their simulation, their efforts look to be instead, entirely unconvincing.

selden
2006-Jun-06, 11:47 AM
Chris,

I'm not quite sure why you're finding the computations incredible. It seems to be an extension of previous work, but with much greater precision and detail. Low resolution and 2D simulations of galaxy collisions have been around for a long time. They're even available as screensavers.

Bear in mind that the article, like most such "press releases," is a dumbed-down description of their work to make it approachable by laymen.

James Wadsley (one of the co-authors) has Web pages describing their work in more detail. See, for example, http://130.113.172.122/images/

As one of our fellow posters suggests in his Sig: Google is your friend.

antoniseb
2006-Jun-06, 12:03 PM
Thanks Selden, that's a nice link.

Slobodan
2006-Jun-13, 01:45 PM
I have read in several books that in many billion years Milky Way will be gradually the only galaxy visible to us - due to the fact that galaxies are running away from each other. On the other hand, it is said that Milky Way with collide with Andromeda galaxy in aq few billion years. Are these renowned aurhors just "a bit sloppy" saying that the Milky Way will be the only galaxy to be seen and are there actualy more galaxy collisions/mergers in our cosmic "vicinity" on the way?

antoniseb
2006-Jun-13, 05:23 PM
Are these renowned aurhors just "a bit sloppy" saying that the Milky Way will be the only galaxy to be seen and are there actualy more galaxy collisions/mergers in our cosmic "vicinity" on the way?

I'd say they were being sloppy, but I don't know which authors you are speaking of. There are people who think that the universe will end with a big rip, which could potentially result in the gravity of the local cluster getting overwhelmed by universal expansion. There was a brief time when some people said that would be happening in a few billion years (potentially before we made our next close pass by M31). Currently we don't hear about the big rip so much, but who knows when your books were written or who wrote them unless you tell us.

Slobodan
2006-Jun-14, 12:41 PM
I'd say they were being sloppy, but I don't know which authors you are speaking of. There are people who think that the universe will end with a big rip, which could potentially result in the gravity of the local cluster getting overwhelmed by universal expansion. There was a brief time when some people said that would be happening in a few billion years (potentially before we made our next close pass by M31). Currently we don't hear about the big rip so much, but who knows when your books were written or who wrote them unless you tell us.

The latest book where I have read this is Michio Kaku's Parallel Universe. To quote: "Unless something happens to reverse this expansion, within 150 billions yeasr our Mikly Way galaxy will become quite lonely with 99.99999 percent of all the nearby galaxies speeding past the edge of the visiible universe. The familiar galaxies in the nighzt sky will bi rushing so far away from us that their light will never reach us". Any collisions/mergers, like with Andromeda galaxy, are not mentioned here. So if Michio Kushi is sloppy ... :-)

Slobodan
2006-Jun-14, 12:43 PM
The latest book where I have read this is Michio Kaku's Parallel Universe. To quote: "Unless something happens to reverse this expansion, within 150 billions yeasr our Mikly Way galaxy will become quite lonely with 99.99999 percent of all the nearby galaxies speeding past the edge of the visiible universe. The familiar galaxies in the nighzt sky will bi rushing so far away from us that their light will never reach us". Any collisions/mergers, like with Andromeda galaxy, are not mentioned here. So if Michio Kushi is sloppy ... :-)

Sorry "Parallel Worlds" not "Paralell Universes"