PDA

View Full Version : Is out Gravity Theory Flawed?

dirty_g
2006-Jun-06, 04:32 PM
I was reading an interesting article in Astronomy Today which stated that our current models for the effects of Gravity are flawed when they get to a galaxies scale. For instance Stars should actually fly out of galaxies and not continue the long orbit they make as galaxies rotate too quickly to hold them in. Obviously a few of you on here would know that anyway. Intersting to me though. very interesting. Only reasoning for this could be a LOT of dark matter helping to hold galaxies together. Still this has never been seen (obviously though as it's dark matter) I don't know if anybody else has read this article but it makes for interesting reading. basically though it states that gravity should not actually weaken with distance though. Which is what Newton and Einstein both stated. It says that if there is no such thing as dark matter then that NEwton and Einsten were both wrong! Anyway did anybody else read this?

antoniseb
2006-Jun-06, 04:42 PM
I normally don't read Astronomy Today. It sounds like the article was covering some alternative models. One of the most likely for them to have mentioned was Milgrom's MoND idea, in which gravity is mostly inverse square law, but there is also a small component which goes down as one over x. There is plenty about MoND on the web.

In any case it is kind of rash to say NEwton and Einsten were both wrong!, since in the worst case they are right for just about all practical purposes.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jun-06, 04:44 PM
I was reading an interesting article in Astronomy Today which stated that our current models for the effects of Gravity are flawed when they get to a galaxies scale. One of the reasons it is still a theory.
For instance Stars should actually fly out of galaxies and not continue the long orbit they make as galaxies rotate too quickly to hold them in. Obviously a few of you on here would know that anyway. Intersting to me though. very interesting. Only reasoning for this could be a LOT of dark matter helping to hold galaxies together. Still this has never been seen (obviously though as it's dark matter) Again, one of the un-answered questions of science.
It says that if there is no such thing as dark matter then that NEwton and Einsten were both wrong! Anyway did anybody else read this? Yeh, but they were pretty darned close... and close enough to say that they weren't wrong, just needed refinement.