PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow around the Sun

R.A.F.
2003-Apr-01, 07:36 PM
I was just outside, checking out an approaching storm, when I witnessed something I've never seen before!

As I watched the clouds moving in there was a clear spot and through it I saw the Sun with a ring (approx. 20 degrees) around it. Upon closer examination the ring turned out to be a rainbow, displaying all the primary colors.

I'm sure this is not unusual...it's just something I've never seen before. My question...was it just a normal rainbow?

heliopause
2003-Apr-01, 07:55 PM
Sounds like a standard 22 degree halo with a technicolor twist.

Byrd
2003-Apr-01, 08:33 PM
Uh... yeah, it's a normal rainbow. I don't know if there's any such thing as an "abnormal rainbow."

It'd be caused by ice crystals (usually) high in the air.

R.A.F.
2003-Apr-01, 08:42 PM
It'd be caused by ice crystals (usually) high in the air.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I've see halos around the moon before just never saw a rainbow around the sun.

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Apr-01, 10:18 PM
Remember, there's a whole astronomy website attached to this board. Go there, and search on "halo" and "Sun". 8)

SKY
2003-Apr-01, 10:30 PM
Whoa...This BB has a Web Site??? :o

I always wondered what that logo at the top left was for. :D

nebularain
2003-Apr-01, 10:48 PM
Smart alec!!

He's trying to say that he already has an answer to this posted on his website.

(It's amazing how many questions are posted on the board that he's already mentioned on the Website.) :wink:

SeanF
2003-Apr-01, 10:57 PM

Well, you should click on that logo at the top left. No, seriously. Go ahead - click on it. Might make you wonder if there really is a website for this BB . . . :)

R.A.F.
2003-Apr-01, 10:59 PM
Remember, there's a whole astronomy website attached to this board. Go there, and search on "halo" and "Sun". 8)

DOAH...Of course there's a website here. So I searched and found this link from the University of Illinois...
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/wwhlpr/halo.rxml?hret=/guides/mtr/opt/ie...
and guess what? It answered all my questions. Thanks BA. (You would think I'd know better by now, after all...I just became a bad intern). :)

SKY
2003-Apr-01, 10:59 PM

Well, you should click on that logo at the top left. No, seriously. Go ahead - click on it. Might make you wonder if there really is a website for this BB . . . :)

http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/41616-4.gif

Yeah...I saw that to after I posted the message. Didn't it go to the main site on the old BB?

SeanF
2003-Apr-01, 11:00 PM
Didn't it go to the main site on the old BB?

That's my recollection. This must be the default setting that TBA hasn't changed since he installed the new version.

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Apr-02, 12:41 AM
I made the logo the link to the BABB index page because there wasn't an obvious link to it in the header pages already. I suppose I can change it to point to the main site. Might make things easier...

SKY
2003-Apr-02, 12:56 AM
I made the logo the link to the BABB index page because there wasn't an obvious link to it in the header pages already. I suppose I can change it to point to the main site. Might make things easier...

Actually, when I want to go to the main page, I just click my home page icon. :wink:

beskeptical
2003-Apr-02, 08:44 AM
Sun halo sounds like what you saw... Out here in rain country, though, on a very rare occasion, one can see a rainbow make a full circle. It depends on your angle to the clouds. But the Sun would be behind you, not in front. We can also get rainbows that are doubles and sometimes there is 2-3 of them in a row like the ribs of a carport tent.