PDA

View Full Version : I See Starz, Can You See Them Too?

sunnyz777
2006-Jun-07, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I'm writing from Florida. Almost every night I see a star around the same constellation. What is unique about it is that when I acknowledge it's presence it will move in the sky! ie: circular motions, back and forth at great distance, sometimes it looks like it's trying to write something in the sky. A satellite does not have the rapid capabilities that I've seen this one do!
Recently I was compelled to go outside as if it were calling me. While a friend was visiting and they to could not deny the rapid movements above. When I asked it to write my friends name in the sky it appeared to be doing so...That was almost to much to believe, yet it is so. Sometimes I see it slightly above it's constellation or below. I wonder why no one else has seen it or why it's not been in the news...Am I the only one seeing it and why was my friend allowed to see it on that night. not only that but for some reason I was awakened early in the morning and complled to go outside again. I went out just in time to watch it take off towards the left sideways across the sky. Have there been any similar sightings and if so...TALK TO ME, PLEASE!!!!

NAMASTE, SUNNYZ

mickal555
2006-Jun-07, 11:07 AM
Did you PM everyone this message? Or just me?

Fram
2006-Jun-07, 11:10 AM
surely not everyone, I didn't get it (luckily).

mickal555
2006-Jun-07, 11:16 AM
This is posted again in astronomy...

grant hutchison
2006-Jun-07, 11:43 AM
Jupiter is noticeably bright in the southern sky these evenings.
Seeing bright stars or planets appear to move in the sky is a very common optical illusion: it's called the "autokinetic effect". The apparent movement is heightened if you expect movement, and it will even conform to any expectations you have about the direction of movement. You can read a report of some experiments concerning the autokinetic effect here (http://www.alma.edu/departments/psychology/SP98/Auto/z.html), and about how it's a hazard for pilots here (http://www.narcap.org/PerceptualDisorders.htm).

I would guess the autokinetic effect has been a trigger for your current experiences.

Grant Hutchison

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jun-07, 12:06 PM
Got any wickedly humorous friends with laser pointers? On any medications? Experienced these sightings in the past?

Argos
2006-Jun-07, 12:13 PM
I used to see some of those in my long gone lysergic days...

Squashed
2006-Jun-07, 12:50 PM
Almost every night I see a star around the same constellation.

I was out walking on this past Monday night and in one of the darker areas of my journey (easier to see the stars) I saw a moving light (left to right for me) directly to the west of me but about 10 degrees off the vertical (directly overhead). At first I thought it was just an airplane but then its intensity got brighter and brighter but at its brightness climax it suddenly dimmed to invisibility. I scanned and scanned trying to find the blinking lights of an airplane but to no avail. It seemed too slow for a meteor and "turned off" too quick to consider it a meteor. I decided it must have been a satellite that briefly was reflecting off of a larger surface area than usual but I really do not know what it was. It did not communicate with me so I feel that I am totally sane, yet.

grant hutchison
2006-Jun-07, 12:54 PM
I saw a moving light (left to right for me) directly to the west of me but about 10 degrees off the vertical (directly overhead). At first I thought it was just an airplane but then its intensity got brighter and brighter but at its brightness climax it suddenly dimmed to invisibility.Sounds like it might have been an Iridium flare (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980402.html) - just the sort of satellite phenomenon you describe.

Grant Hutchison

NEOWatcher
2006-Jun-07, 12:58 PM
Sounds like it might have been an Iridium flare (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980402.html).

Grant Hutchison
Me too. It is extremely rare to see one when not looking. (even when looking it's rare)
But it happened to me too. I happened to see one without knowing what it was, and it was strange enough that I wondered about it for quite some time (until I ran across a description).

Sammy
2006-Jun-07, 01:06 PM
Seeing a light (against a dark background) move in circles and in random directions is a well-known psycho-perceptual phonomenon. It is called the "autokinetic effect."

It was investicated in the 20s or 30s when it was noted that military pilots attempting to fly at night in formation by following lights on other planes would often lose control and put their craft into dives or stall by climbing at steep angles. It was investigated and named by a psychologist named (spelling may be a bit off) Musafer Sharrif.

Squashed
2006-Jun-07, 01:18 PM
Recently I was compelled to go outside as if it were calling me.

I wonder if it is possible for the structure of the brain to be such that the brain acts as a radio receiver: sort of like the dental fillings episode from Gilligan's Island?

So some rare individuals receive communication and "hear voices" but no one else can and so these people are viewed as crazy when in reality their experience is real.

ToSeek
2006-Jun-07, 02:04 PM
Threads merged, duplicate post deleted.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jun-08, 01:27 AM
Me too. It is extremely rare to see one when not looking. (even when looking it's rare)
But it happened to me too. I happened to see one without knowing what it was, and it was strange enough that I wondered about it for quite some time (until I ran across a description).
It's fairly easy once you've found Heavens Above (http://www.heavens-above.com/), have entered your position correctely and has a reasonably precise watch. :)

Once you've seen a couple intentionally it's a lot easier to identify it as such if you see one by accident.
The link above is actually quite good if you saw something and want to know what it was, I've used it to identify random sightings of both the ISS and the one Iridium Flare I've managed to spot while not actively looking for one.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jun-08, 12:39 PM
It's fairly easy once you've found Heavens Above (http://www.heavens-above.com/), have entered your position correctely and has a reasonably precise watch. :)

I guess I didn't mention that is where I found it. The bright ones are still rare IMO. I usually only see a -7 or brighter in the schedule once or twice a week (that is if I don't go to flare center)

sunnyz777
2006-Jun-08, 11:10 PM
If it is an iridium flare, how can it be explained that it wakes me up to watch it leave going across the entire view of sky to fast for a satellite? Also only some of my friends can see it and some can't...

sunnyz777
2006-Jun-08, 11:14 PM
I know that the Germans as well as our government have the capabilities to create such a device could they,(womever they are) be spying on me? :) It is wierd how when I ask it to do something it does...I'm not the only one witnessing it now which is why I feel okay to get input from Universe Today folks because I know that you have some form of intelligence, as well as I and could perhaps come up with a better explanation than a satellite...That's the generic government/armed forces answer...

jml0423
2006-Jun-08, 11:39 PM
that sounds pretty crazy, i need to look up at the sky more

NEOWatcher
2006-Jun-09, 12:40 PM
snip
not only that but for some reason I was awakened early in the morning and complled to go outside again. I went out just in time to watch it take off towards the left sideways across the sky.
Were you REALLY awake? ;)

I agree with you when you ask it is only me, because, if it were only me, then I would start doing some harder observation and better descriptions.
And; when I say better descriptions, we need as much fact as possible and as little "could be" as possible. For instance, you mention "the same constillation" but don't say which or when. That could tell us a lot about direction.
Possibly starting with Grant's links:

Seeing bright stars or planets appear to move in the sky is a very common optical illusion: it's called the "autokinetic effect". The apparent movement is heightened if you expect movement, and it will even conform to any expectations you have about the direction of movement. You can read a report of some experiments concerning the autokinetic effect here (http://www.alma.edu/departments/psychology/SP98/Auto/z.html), and about how it's a hazard for pilots here (http://www.narcap.org/PerceptualDisorders.htm).

Also keep in mind that science also works on independent confirmation. So until other people can see the effect, or re-produce the effect, we only have your word. You and us can speculate all you or we want.

Sp1ke
2006-Jun-09, 12:56 PM
I think it's safe to say that no-one (not even the Germans) has the capability to build an orbital device able to "compel you to go outside" and that can then write messages in the sky that only some people can see.

NEOWatcher is right that you need to record some more detailed observations. If this is a real effect, it will be visible to other (independent) witnesses and there will probably be a consistent and predictable pattern to it.

Squashed
2006-Jun-09, 01:11 PM
I know that the Germans as well as our government have the capabilities to create such a device could they,(womever they are) be spying on me? :) It is wierd how when I ask it to do something it does...I'm not the only one witnessing it now which is why I feel okay to get input from Universe Today folks because I know that you have some form of intelligence, as well as I and could perhaps come up with a better explanation than a satellite...That's the generic government/armed forces answer...

A camera or video would do wonders for your credibility and so I would suggest that you employ one of these devices and then post the pictures. I believe you are experiencing something but the description sounds quite fantastical.

grant hutchison
2006-Jun-09, 07:08 PM
When governments spy on individuals, they set up cameras in a car or house across the road: it's more economical. Also, the essence of spying is being unobserved: the phenomenon you're describing seems to be commanding your attention. So I think you can rule out spying.

Honestly, if you are having paranoid thoughts about this phenomenon, or if you feel your mind is being controlled by outside agencies, you should discuss things with a doctor.

Folks here can only offer ideas about what sort of scientific explanations seem plausible, and I think the autokinetic illusion explains everything you've reported observing, and having your friends observe, with the exception of that movement right across the sky; for which there are other reasonable potential explanations like meteors and dreams.

Grant Hutchison

sunnyz777
2006-Jun-09, 08:11 PM
I only had my digital 4.1 pixels and 10x50 binoculars...did I do the attachment correctly?

sunnyz777
2006-Jun-09, 08:21 PM
i see stars 3.28.06 12.37 am 010-copy.JPG:
Your file of 1.66 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 146.5 KB for this filetype.

I guess I've exceeded the limit of bytes to allow to view this....I tried.

Ara Pacis
2006-Jun-09, 10:36 PM
Post it at imageshack and link to it. Did you use a long duration exposure so that we could see it's motion over time?

Murff
2006-Jun-11, 12:30 AM
For my first post, can I call "Shenanigans" ?

:whistle: