PDA

View Full Version : On the Surface of a neutron star

samsara15
2006-Jun-09, 08:05 PM
Would it be neutrons, iron vapor, liquid iron, solid iron, or a plasma of iron neuclii? or would it vary?

ToSeek
2006-Jun-10, 10:55 PM
Wikipedia is your friend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star):

Current understanding of the structure of neutron stars is defined by existing mathematical models, which of course are subject to revision. Based on current models, the matter at the surface of a neutron star is composed of ordinary atomic nuclei as well as electrons. The "atmosphere" of the star is roughly one meter thick, below which one encounters a solid "crust". Proceeding inward, one encounters nuclei with ever increasing numbers of neutrons; such nuclei would quickly decay on Earth, but are kept stable by tremendous pressures.

Planetwatcher
2006-Jun-11, 02:28 AM
Not to mention that you would weigh several quad-trillion tons. And Jeny Craig can not help you.

samsara15
2006-Jun-12, 02:07 AM
That's a good explanation, ToSeek. However, when a neutron star has a 'starquake', 'what's' quaking? Is the starquake entirely due to the liquid core rubbing (and slipping) against the solid surface?

Tobin Dax
2006-Jun-12, 05:02 AM
That's a good explanation, ToSeek. However, when a neutron star has a 'starquake', 'what's' quaking? Is the starquake entirely due to the liquid core rubbing (and slipping) against the solid surface?

To the best of our knowledge, yes. That's what the wikipedia article says about a glitch.

publiusr
2006-Jun-29, 08:56 PM
I wonder what it would sound like. I recall the seismic charges used to disrupt asteroids in Episode II and thought it would be better used for a neutron starquake.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jun-30, 03:44 AM
I wonder what it would sound like. I recall the seismic charges used to disrupt asteroids in Episode II and thought it would be better used for a neutron starquake.
I thought it would be better within a moderately dense gas, but maybe that's just me.

publiusr
2006-Jun-30, 04:42 PM
I meant the sound effects--the 'twang' that sounded like a cosmic string or something vibrating. A surface of a neutron star should carry sound--even as helmet to thelmet contact would transmit sound.