PDA

View Full Version : Question

proamateur
2006-Jun-12, 04:33 AM
I'm new to this and have some raw photos of the moon I'd like to post. Its just that the pictures over 1mg in size straight from my digicam. How can I shrink them to an appropriate size? Thanks.

andyschlei
2006-Jun-12, 05:13 AM
There are a number of ways to save them small.

If you are a Windows user, you can open a JPG with Paint, select Image>Stretch and Skew, and stretch it with a percentage less than 100 -- 20% will bring a high bit level image down to a small size. You can then save it and upload it. If the image is not a JPG or other Paint friendly format, then your camera image management program should be able to save it as a JPEG and probably can scale the image down as well.

If you are a Photoshop user, you can use File>Save for Web and use the scaling options there.

If you are a GIMP user (go GIMP!) then you can open the image and use Image>Scale Image to reduce the size and save as a smaller JPEG.

HTH,

--Andy

proamateur
2006-Jun-13, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the advice.

ozzmosis
2006-Jun-13, 01:13 PM
you can get compupic too and resize your pics and then save them . when saving too you can bring down the compression to like 80% should be ok,,

tegwilym
2006-Jun-14, 04:40 PM
There are a number of ways to save them small.

If you are a Photoshop user, you can use File>Save for Web and use the scaling options there.

If you are a GIMP user (go GIMP!) then you can open the image and use Image>Scale Image to reduce the size and save as a smaller JPEG.

HTH,

--Andy

Another good and free little program that I like is "Irfanview" Google can find that quickly. Does all the basic stuff pretty easily.

Tom

selden
2006-Jun-14, 05:30 PM
If you're comfortable with command line programs and have a lot of images to resize, you might want to consider ImageMagick. I use its montage command to create thumbnails.