PDA

View Full Version : Three Trojans Found in Neptune's Orbit

Fraser
2006-Jun-15, 11:39 PM
Researchers have discovered three new objects sharing trailing behind Neptune in the same orbit. These asteroid-sized objects are locked into stable positions - called Lagrange points - through their interaction with Neptune's gravity; Jupiter has over 1800 Trojans of its own. Astronomers had already discovered one Trojan for Neptune, so this raises its total to 4. The discovery was made using the Carnegie 6.5 Magellan Telescopes in Chile and the 8-meter Gemini North telescope on Mauna Kea, Hawaii.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/06/15/three-trojans-found-in-neptunes-orbit/)

Maksutov
2006-Jun-15, 11:56 PM
Bad news for Neptunian computers! Hope they have good firewalls, anvirus, and antispyware programs. Then again this may help with preventing the spread of near absolute zero disease. :)

Any idea how big these things are? Or are they so small and far away that we need an stellar occultation to determine their size?

antoniseb
2006-Jun-16, 01:13 AM
Interesting discovery. I imagine that a long time from now these might provide good places for outposts for measurments for triangulating gravity-wave sources, for making parallax measurements, and perhaps other things where distance and relative stability are a plus.

Maksutov
2006-Jun-16, 02:14 AM
ToSeeked (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=763100&postcount=1), or are Administrators exempt from that kind of thing? :think:

Swift
2006-Jun-16, 02:23 AM
Bad news for Neptunian computers! Hope they have good firewalls, anvirus, and antispyware programs. Then again this may help with preventing the spread of near absolute zero disease. :)

And here I was thinking, does he have a special compartment in his trident, or does he just stick them in his wallet like the rest of us. :o

Cassiopeia
2006-Jun-16, 12:49 PM
Hi folks,

usually animations, fotos, etc are taken from above. So this should give a counter-clockwise rotation of our solarsystem (it depends where up and down is, but generally speaking, up is north).

So these trojans are leading, not trailing, aren't they? (causing of the smaller angle)

Just to know if I have missunderstood something.

Cheers.

Didi

antoniseb
2006-Jun-16, 01:18 PM
ToSeeked (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=763100&postcount=1), or are Administrators exempt from that kind of thing? :think:

A while back we tried to merge stories entered elsewhere with the UT story comments. As it happens, doing this meant that everytime the story disappeared from the forum it was in, a new person would start a thread on the same topic. Since most UT news stories are posted by someone on the forum (often ToSeek) before they show up on UT, the effort turned into a task similar to cleaning the house before the last kid leaves for college.

Fraser
2006-Jun-16, 04:59 PM
And it gives me an incentive to post faster, quicker. To beat ToSeek.

ToSeek
2006-Jun-16, 05:55 PM
And it gives me an incentive to post faster, quicker. To beat ToSeek.

In your dreams. :razz:

drjgokhale
2006-Sep-06, 03:34 PM
If there is a planet (or even a petite planet) locked in the orbit of earth directly across from the earth on other side of sun, will we know?

BigDon
2006-Sep-07, 06:01 AM
Yes, it would disturb the orbits of Venus and Mars.