PDA

View Full Version : First Contact Question

Makgraf
2006-Jun-16, 03:11 AM
I have a question for anyone who's seen the commentary for ST8 recently. In the commentary does anyone refer to the Eastern Coalition as "The Eastern Coalition Of Nations"? Cause they don't in the actual film, yet that's the full name given on Wikipedia and Memory Alpha. To me it just seems like something added in by fans to try to get the "ON" part of ECON to fit (despite the fact lots of acronyms don't quite mesh, e.g. NORAD = North American Air Defense). Also, we don't refer to the USOA or PROC.

Jason Thompson
2006-Jun-16, 01:41 PM
Possibly it was referred to as that in the script or in a scene that got deleted. It is likely that somewhere in the writing stages the history of the Third World War was fleshed out as backstory for Lily and Cochrane's characters, and this may have given the full name.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jun-16, 10:51 PM
Yes, that's just a fan-made name to fit the last to letters, as far as I can tell. The ST Encyclopedia only lists ECON and Eastern Coalition, making no assumptions as to what (if anything) the last two letters mean.

hhEb09'1
2006-Jun-16, 11:10 PM
Yes, that's just a fan-made name to fit the last to letters, as far as I can tell. The ST Encyclopedia only lists ECON and Eastern Coalition, making no assumptions as to what (if anything) the last two letters mean.Either Eastern COalitioN, or Eastern COalition of Nations--no need to involve the "of" :)

Tobin Dax
2006-Jun-17, 02:52 AM
Either Eastern COalitioN, or Eastern COalition of Nations--no need to involve the "of" :)
True, but I see it happen often enough (e.g. LOTR -> Lord of the Rings).

Makgraf
2006-Jun-17, 02:59 AM
Yes, that's just a fan-made name to fit the last to letters, as far as I can tell. The ST Encyclopedia only lists ECON and Eastern Coalition, making no assumptions as to what (if anything) the last two letters mean.
Thanks, I think that settles it.

True, but I see it happen often enough (e.g. LOTR -> Lord of the Rings).
Ah but isn't that also commonly written as LotR? I think it's far more uncommon in actual acronyms (like we don't talk about the USOA or PROC). I do remember the US often called South Korea the ROK (Republic of Korea) in the Korean War, but I can't think of any other nations that use the "of" in that way.

hhEb09'1
2006-Jun-17, 03:05 AM
but I can't think of any other nations that use the "of" in that way.Isn't one enough? I mean, we're talking about fictional implementation of real world approaches, right?