PDA

View Full Version : $250,000 Prize for Autonomous Robots

Fraser
2006-Jun-16, 04:54 AM
As part of its Centennial Challenges, NASA has encouraged inventors from outside the agency to demonstrate out of the box thinking. So far they've created challenges to craft better gloves, dig lunar soil, and power climbing robots. The next challenge is called the Telerobotic Construction Challenge, and offers a $250,000 purse to the team that can get their remote-controlled robots to build structures... on Mars. Of course, the robots won't actually be on Mars, but for the teams involved, it'll sure feel like they're a world away.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/06/15/250000-prize-for-autonomous-robots/)

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-18, 03:20 PM
I had an idea for a robot, for the mechanics anyway.
A kind of blob made up of millions of little units that slide around each other, under control. In this way the robot could attain any shape any number of manipulators and could cross any terrain.
If it had to move a pipe it would just move over to it absorb it and then move across to where the pipe was to go and then slide over that, manipulating the pipe into position. Maybe it could be a semi-organic robot.

A bit in the future I would say technology wise.

trinitree88
2006-Jun-18, 09:16 PM
I had an idea for a robot, for the mechanics anyway.
A kind of blob made up of millions of little units that slide around each other, under control. In this way the robot could attain any shape any number of manipulators and could cross any terrain.
If it had to move a pipe it would just move over to it absorb it and then move across to where the pipe was to go and then slide over that, manipulating the pipe into position. Maybe it could be a semi-organic robot.

A bit in the future I would say technology wise.

Frog march. You need to research electrorheological fluids. They can change their viscosity by application of an electrical field...hence, flow, become rigid, perform kinematical motions, ...and back to flow,...in short order. Pete.:shifty: