PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Galactic Updates on Plans For SpaceShipTwo

Fraser
2006-Jun-17, 03:55 AM
Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne claimed the X-Prize when it reached an altitude of 100km for the second time in less than 2 weeks. Although this was a much simpler feat than reaching orbital altitude and velocities, many believed we were on the verge of a space tourism revolution. Virgin Galactic, one of the companies attempting to make a business out of suborbital flights recently unveiled details about SpaceShipTwo at a space tourism conference in London.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/06/16/virgin-galactic-updates-plans-for-spaceshiptwo/)

Māori
2006-Jun-17, 06:14 AM
Good for Branson! I hope he keeps up the cause for space travel. I'm saving my money (not really), but it sounded good while I was writing it.

antoniseb
2006-Jun-17, 09:38 AM
I guess I'll wait for Spaceship 3. Five minutes of weightlessness hardly seems worth $200K.

Māori
2006-Jun-17, 09:43 AM
Gee, I don't know antoniseb. I wish I had the money.

Igor
2006-Jun-18, 10:40 PM
I believe the problem of space tourism development is being aproached from
the wrong end. We need ships as large and comfortable as ocean-going cruise
ships and these could not rely on conventional old-style rocket propulsion.
We would have to develop new propulsion such as gravity drive. It is this
research which I am interested in
Igor

Māori
2006-Jun-22, 01:31 AM
From antonsoarer's link, "January 8th, 2003 : The 1st Electronaut FLIGHT"

Orville is so cute!

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-22, 01:57 AM
I believe the problem of space tourism development is being aproached from
the wrong end. We need ships as large and comfortable as ocean-going cruise
ships and these could not rely on conventional old-style rocket propulsion.
We would have to develop new propulsion such as gravity drive. It is this
research which I am interested in
Igor

Well, the thing about conventional old-style rocket propulsion is that it works. Personally, I'd like something along the lines of Niven transfer booths: Punch in the number of another booth, and you and whatever was in that booth, whereever it is, are swapped at the speed of light. Much nicer than all that messy transportation we have to deal with today.

But we don't see any way to do it, so it's science fiction ("quantum teleportation" stories are not the same thing) and the same applies here. If and when solid, repeated studies show a practical "gravity drive" is possible, then we can worry about details (like whether it is actually better than rockets).

Māori
2006-Jun-22, 02:01 AM
I'm not savvy to this, but would an aircraft be able to hold itself up with a hollow center and hard shell? Between the hollow center and hard shell, there would be a constant magnetic movement enabling the aircraft to move. I've seen magnets do something similar on TV, but the magnets were in a very controlled environment. There are no doors or such to break the movement.

Sorry, if this is a dumb question.

legend85
2006-Jun-25, 05:34 PM
Well, the thing about conventional old-style rocket propulsion is that it works. Personally, I'd like something along the lines of Niven transfer booths: Punch in the number of another booth, and you and whatever was in that booth, whereever it is, are swapped at the speed of light. Much nicer than all that messy transportation we have to deal with today.

But we don't see any way to do it, so it's science fiction ("quantum teleportation" stories are not the same thing) and the same applies here. If and when solid, repeated studies show a practical "gravity drive" is possible, then we can worry about details (like whether it is actually better than rockets).

With that type of tech you would need a way to store a vast amount of data and if your where able to do such a thing you could make copies of yourself...you could also change your image in to anything you wanted :surprised

ToSeek
2006-Jun-26, 04:20 PM
I guess I'll wait for Spaceship 3. Five minutes of weightlessness hardly seems worth $200K.

Yeah, I'm holding out for low-Earth orbit! ;)

Duane
2006-Aug-05, 04:58 PM
I have moved the posts related to antisoarer's ideas on gravity into the ATM section.