PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy 16 HDTV Satellite Launched

Fraser
2006-Jun-19, 05:34 PM
A Zenit-3SL rocket blasted off from Sea Launch today, carrying PanAmSat's Galaxy 16 communications satellite. The rocket lifted off from the Odyssey Launch Platform at 0750 GMT (3:50am EDT), and reached geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO) nearly an hour later. The spacecraft will eventually be positioned at 99-degrees West Longitude, and provide HDTV television and data services throughout North America. This is the third launch for Sea Launch this year; three more are still planned.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/06/19/galaxy-16-hdtv-satellite-launched/)

antoniseb
2006-Jun-19, 06:37 PM
Will there be enough HDTV customer in Texas to pay for this venture? I'm guessing yes.

suitti
2006-Jun-19, 07:08 PM
As a space enthusiast, i'm delighted they got a successful launch. As a consumer, i confess zero interest in HDTV. A decade after promises of how great HD will be, and tuner and TV prices are, well, astronomical. I've dropped cable, since $30 a month will rent alot of DVDs, and i only have time to watch maybe two movies a month. My TV reception is so bad that i've started reading more books, sometimes even on paper.