PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion in regard to politics and religion subjects

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-21, 04:23 PM
Would it be possible for a poster to submit a thread that they though might be contentions to a non-public area of the BAUT so that it could be looked at by more than one moderator, they could then discus whether it was acceptable or whether it needed changing, they could discuss with the poster any changes that needed making and then if the moderators agreed the thread could then be posted in the public area.

In this way the moderators could come to more thorough, thought out and consistent decisions in regard to the implementing the forum rules.

This would also allow more wide ranging debate in the areas of religion and politics without all the need for bannings, warnings and the immediate closing of threads where the moderator maybe unsure if the thread has crossed over the line to an unacceptable degree.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jun-21, 04:31 PM
It's my impression that there's a lot more discussion behind the scenes about the not so clearcut cases than we see.

At a guess, if you report a post, and in the explanation says that you think it needs discussion by the moderators, then moderators will discuss it.

Tinaa
2006-Jun-21, 05:01 PM
Many times we'll remove or close a post/thread to discuss it. We can always reinstate it. A poster may always send a PM to a mod with a copy of the post in question. The moderators have fairly diverse backgrounds but we all do our best to follow the rules set by the board. Please know you are always free to PM a mod with questions or to make a complaint. Some mods are from different sides of the globe so you may not get an immediate response.

We have people here form all over the world. What may be considered permissable in one culture is taboo in another, which is why we have a fairly long list of rules. Always consult The Rules http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=32864 or PM a mod.

Sometimes people forget this is mainly an astronomy and space board.

Roy Batty
2006-Jun-21, 05:04 PM
The rules seem quite clear, no religion, politics. So just don't start threads in that vein. Of course once begun things can (& do) devolve but the mechanisms already in place seem adequate to deal with this IMHO :)

hhEb09'1
2006-Jun-21, 05:23 PM
This would also allow more wide ranging debate in the areas of religion and politics without all the need for bannings, warnings and the immediate closing of threads where the moderator maybe unsure if the thread has crossed over the line to an unacceptable degree.I'm with Roy Batty. If anything, we need a more narrow ranging debate in the areas of religion and politics.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jun-21, 06:22 PM
The rules seem quite clear, no religion, politics. So just don't start threads in that vein. Of course once begun things can (& do) devolve but the mechanisms already in place seem adequate to deal with this IMHO :)
I agree. When a discussion gets heated and starts crossing the line, do you think the poster is in the state of mind to stop and say "Hey, maybe I should ask a moderator".
I would think if they take the time to make a decision like that, then they would be able to make a decision on what to say or how to word it.
Besides; the moderators are just sitting around looking for more things to do. Right? :whistle:

Lance
2006-Jun-21, 07:03 PM
If you want to have a discussion on religion or politics, or one that may get heated, have it on a board where it would be appropriate. I have one (http://www.illuminati-r-us.com/Forums/) that will allow such topics and there is also FWIS (http://www.loresinger.com/FWIS/), to name just a couple. Both boards are home to quite a few BAUTers already.

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-21, 07:07 PM
I'm with Roy Batty. If anything, we need a more narrow ranging debate in the areas of religion and politics.

I was thinking more about threads about ID that envole both religion and politics.

hhEb09'1
2006-Jun-21, 07:56 PM
Me too! :)

Roy Batty
2006-Jun-21, 08:58 PM
Well, it's going to be interesting to see how things are going to be managed when, or if, the BA makes the move to automatically post comments on the board from his blog, like the UT does :)

Tinaa
2006-Jun-21, 09:00 PM
Yes it is. That very topic has been discussed. There will probably be a different set of rules for it as there is in the Against the Mainstream.

Nereid
2006-Jun-21, 09:58 PM
Aside from spam, my impression is that more of the mods' time is taken up with 'politics and religion' than any other topic.

Personally, I avoid those parts of BAUT where they are likely to arise (except as something morphs to 'religion' from a discussion in General Science, or Astronomy), and find it hard to get my head around moderating some of the posts/threads which get reported (to my eye, far too many look like attempts to 'smuggle in' either religion or politics, through various devices and tactics).

The only exception is things like the NASA/Deutsch (sp?) case - a Bush administration appointee engaging in blatant political and/or religious-based censorship, in gross violation of his role (or so it seemed to me).

[end of personal rant]

mickal555
2006-Jun-24, 07:00 AM
If you want to have a discussion on religion or politics, or one that may get heated, have it on a board where it would be appropriate. I have one (http://www.illuminati-r-us.com/Forums/) that will allow such topics and there is also FWIS (http://www.loresinger.com/FWIS/), to name just a couple. Both boards are home to quite a few BAUTers already.

While lance is slyly plugging his board, I might do the same...

www.scotsons-shack.com/Forum

There are a few BAUTers there, as are several threads in the forum "Politics, Ethics and religion".

:whistle:

umop ap!sdn
2006-Jun-28, 08:08 PM
While lance is slyly plugging his board, I might do the same...
You're such a character. :lol: :D

*umop nonchalantly points to own sig * :whistle:

R.A.F.
2006-Jun-28, 08:31 PM
There will probably be a different set of rules for it as there is in the Against the Mainstream.

How will that effect this board's "viewability" by (for instance) schools?? Will certain content automatically cause the entire board to be blocked by schools??

That would be a real shame...

(Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but a week late is better than not at all.)

Tinaa
2006-Jun-28, 08:43 PM
We are not sure what is going to happen. Crude language, adult topics, etcetera will still not be allowed. Discussion of politics and religion is a bit freer over there but I'm sure the forum will change all that much. Filtering software at schools rarely block sites with politics and religion. Many teachers assign projects researching politics, culture, religion, etcetera and the internet is a much used tool. I never had a problem accessing Phil's site at the school I work at.

Edit: In fact I have used this site, Bad Astronomy and Universe Today for helping students research topics for speech and science classes.

R.A.F.
2006-Jun-28, 08:51 PM
Filtering software at schools rarely block sites with politics and religion.

Thanks for clearing that up as it was my only concern. :)