PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

tdvance
2006-Jun-24, 05:52 PM
just watched a Star Trek (original series) episode on DVD--it was "Is there no beauty in truth" or something like that. I love their attempts to appear/sound scientific there! The Enterprise went out of control and slammed into a nebula (one with lightning in it!). Spock announced that they had just entered a space-time continuum. But not to worry, they got out, and crossed the "barrier" back into the galaxy (which could only be crossed with impulse engines, not at warp speed). So, they DID have science advisors to give them terms like "space-time continuum". It is fun to watch the sci-fi shows. It's also sad that I know at least one person who thinks it's real science....

Todd

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-24, 06:05 PM
I thought that we were already in the space-time continuum.

George
2006-Jun-24, 06:20 PM
Oh how the universe has evolved since the '60's. Now we have flux capacitors and controled wormholes.

ToSeek
2006-Jun-24, 07:32 PM
Thread moved from "BABBling" to "Small Media at Large."

ToSeek
2006-Jun-24, 07:32 PM
They had science advisors on classic Trek - they just didn't pay much attention to them.

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-24, 08:05 PM
They had science advisors on classic Trek - they just didn't pay much attention to them.

I don't agree with that. Oh, it doesn't compare to a decent hard SF novel, but compare it to any other "science fiction" TV series of the era or even for many years later - "Land of the Giants," "UFO," "Time Tunnel," "Lost in Space," "The Starlost" (which originally had some great technical input but went horribly wrong), "Space: 1999," "Battlestar Galactica (original)" and so on. "The Making of Star Trek" discusses the input of technical advisers and much of the "feel" of Star Trek came out of that. For all the silliness, you could actually find decent science fiction themes in the show. In the others, they either didn't bother with advisers at all or completely ignored them.

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-24, 08:16 PM
just watched a Star Trek (original series) episode on DVD--it was "Is there no beauty in truth" or something like that. I love their attempts to appear/sound scientific there! The Enterprise went out of control and slammed into a nebula (one with lightning in it!). Spock announced that they had just entered a space-time continuum. But not to worry, they got out, and crossed the "barrier" back into the galaxy (which could only be crossed with impulse engines, not at warp speed). So, they DID have science advisors to give them terms like "space-time continuum". It is fun to watch the sci-fi shows. It's also sad that I know at least one person who thinks it's real science....

Todd

Been a long time since I saw that, but my recollection was that the insane fellow had sent them out of normal space/time. This was supposed to be some kind of "other" space, and there was no mention of nebulas. It took the hyperugly alien's abilities to get them back to normal space.

Of course that's fiction and of course some people take it too seriously, just like Star Wars, anime, or a number of other popular entertainment fields. So?

ToSeek
2006-Jun-24, 08:42 PM
They had some real science fiction writers doing scripts, which helped a lot.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jun-24, 11:45 PM
Been a long time since I saw that, but my recollection was that the insane fellow had sent them out of normal space/time. This was supposed to be some kind of "other" space, and there was no mention of nebulas. It took the hyperugly alien's abilities to get them back to normal space.

Actually I believe that's a different Next Generation episode. But they do tend to bleed into each other. I found the show you mentioned quite interesting:

"Attention all crew. As you are no doubt aware, this is Captian Jean-Luc Picard. By unknown means we have been hurled outside of space into a realm where our very thoughts become reality. For this reason it is very important that no one thinks about the Enterprise being destroyed. Got that? No one think think about the Enterprise being destroyed! And whatever you do, don't think about your eyeballs being sucked out by a hideous tentacled monstrosity from your worst nightmare. That is all."

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-25, 12:17 AM
That's "Where No One has Gone Before" (similar in title to the ST Classic second pilot episode "Where No Man has Gone Before").

The episode discussed in the OP is "Is There No Truth in Beauty?" Here's Memory Alpha's version of it:

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Is_There_in_Truth_No_Beauty%3F

According to them:

Marvick loves Jones and pleads with her not to go with Kollos, but she rejects him. Marvick then tries to kill Kollos, but looks upon him during the attempt. He goes mad, and taking control of the ship, sends it beyond the galactic barrier. Unable to cope with his mental ordeal Marvick dies.

But I don't recall them mentioning the galactic barrier, and that would be silly. (How did they get there so fast, why the different effects from what had been previously established in the ST universe, etc.). Ah, well, I'd have to see it again to see just what was and wasn't said.

tdvance
2006-Jun-25, 03:28 AM
They didn't call their location a "nebula", but it looked like a nebula, and where else would Star Trek put lightning, so...must have been a nebula! Ok--that's at least two episodes (this one, and "Where no man has gone before") where the galaxy had a barrier. (yep, Spock or Kirk did mention that to get back into the galaxy, they had to use impulse power because you can't warp through the barrier, never mind they used warp speed to leave the galaxy!!!) As a child, I seem to remember going to a planetarium and asking questions like, can life exist outside the force of the galaxy? Could it survive crossing the barrier? Oh well....I can't remember the answers, if the host set me straight or not!

X-COM
2006-Jun-25, 06:09 AM
If you want a little bad weather, I suggest taking a dive into a gas giant.

R.A.F.
2006-Jun-25, 11:36 AM
But I don't recall them mentioning the galactic barrier, and that would be silly.

The scene where the Enterprise returns to "normal" space is kinda confusing. They producers used an old clip of the Enterprise leaving the "energy barrier" at the edge of the Galaxy. (from "where no man has gone before")

I guess to save money...

ToSeek
2006-Jun-25, 04:40 PM
I'm taping the uncut episodes off G4 these days and then going through them to see which episodes I want to watch all of. I swear that every third episode starts out with them orbiting the exact same planet.

R.A.F.
2006-Jun-25, 04:57 PM
I'm taping the uncut episodes off G4 these days...

I bought the 1st 2 seasons of ST on DVD, but couldn't bring myself to buy the 3rd...not enough good episodes compared with the 1st 2 seasons.:) So I'm picking and choosing the 3rd season episodes I like and recording them off G4.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jun-25, 07:15 PM
If you want a little bad weather, I suggest taking a dive into a gas giant.
Which they did do on Deep Space Nine. :D

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-26, 12:28 AM
The scene where the Enterprise returns to "normal" space is kinda confusing. They producers used an old clip of the Enterprise leaving the "energy barrier" at the edge of the Galaxy. (from "where no man has gone before")

I guess to save money...

That makes sense, using the same visuals to save money, but with different intent. From the show, I thought it was clear that they were stuck in some non-space, subspace, or whatever Trekish pseudoscience term you prefer.

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-26, 12:38 AM
I bought the 1st 2 seasons of ST on DVD, but couldn't bring myself to buy the 3rd...not enough good episodes compared with the 1st 2 seasons.:) So I'm picking and choosing the 3rd season episodes I like and recording them off G4.

I've only purchased a couple of DVDs. I'm mostly burned out on Star Trek Classic. Through the '70s and going into the '80s, there just weren't that many science fiction series, and Star Trek would be rerun and rerun again with perhaps a year or two gap at times. So, I saw each episode far too many times, and I'm not usually one to watch things too often.

There are only a few episodes I'll watch these days. The two DVDs I picked up had the original pilot "The Cage" and "The Doomsday Machine" on them. Those I can still manage to watch, occasionally.

Chip
2006-Jun-26, 04:45 AM
...There are only a few episodes I'll watch these days. The two DVDs I picked up had the original pilot "The Cage" and "The Doomsday Machine" on them. Those I can still manage to watch, occasionally.

I have those episodes too.They're classics, plus "Specter of the Gun" which I like for its accurate depiction of Doc Holiday and the Earps. I also have but rarely watch "The Cloud Minders." Though it wasn't a great episode I have a tenuous connection to it. When I was little, my parents were acquainted with the parents of Diana Ewing who played "Droxine" the High Advisor's daughter. Long before Star Trek aired they visited us just a few times. We were just kids. I remember we lit firecrackers together.
My other remote connection is that my sister's husband was one of the prop people on the original show. He got to keep a few Tribbles. (Probably worth something on EBay these days.)

GDwarf
2006-Jun-26, 01:21 PM
I swear that every third episode starts out with them orbiting the exact same planet.
Heh, I noticed that also, and it doesn't look at all nice to live on, all red and a sort of noxious green.

ToSeek
2006-Jun-26, 03:13 PM
I've only purchased a couple of DVDs. I'm mostly burned out on Star Trek Classic. Through the '70s and going into the '80s, there just weren't that many science fiction series, and Star Trek would be rerun and rerun again with perhaps a year or two gap at times. So, I saw each episode far too many times, and I'm not usually one to watch things too often.

It was on right after I got home from junior high and high school, back in the early seventies, so I watched every day and could practically quote the episodes after a while. Now my memory has faded - I watched "That Which Survives" on Saturday (not a particularly good episode) just because I couldn't remember how it turned out.

SeanF
2006-Jun-26, 04:11 PM
Okay, how's this: I still have every episode on VHS from way back when they released them like that - one episode per tape.

I also have the original DVD releases, two episodes per disc.

I have not purchased the season boxed sets. :)

Gillianren
2006-Jun-26, 06:15 PM
Heh, I noticed that also, and it doesn't look at all nice to live on, all red and a sort of noxious green.

Not to mention that one rock.

ToSeek
2006-Jun-26, 06:17 PM
Okay, how's this: I still have every episode on VHS from way back when they released them like that - one episode per tape.

I also have the original DVD releases, two episodes per disc.

I have not purchased the season boxed sets. :)

A true fan. ;)

jt-3d
2006-Jun-26, 08:21 PM
I taped them off of the Sci-fi channel when they ran the whole series in an hour and a half slots and showed them uncut, though the last few were in one hour slots but are almost as long so I guess they're all there. I still want the season DVDs but at $100 a shot, that's quite a finacial owwee.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jun-26, 08:55 PM
Not to mention that one rock.

Ahh yes, Mister Rock. The most powerful being in the universe, able to teleport from planet to planet with ease because it gets off being used in unrealistic fight scenes.

Gillianren
2006-Jun-27, 10:41 AM
Back home in California, it's pretty much just called "Captain Kirk's rock." Its home is out in the Mojave Desert, which is why I expected it to have a cameo on Firefly.

mid
2006-Jun-27, 03:00 PM
Can they still use it with any seriousness, after Death picked up Bill & Ted from it?

Gillianren
2006-Jun-27, 09:28 PM
If they shoot it from a different angle, maybe. Besides, how many people (besides you and me) remember Bogus Journey anyway?

Tog
2006-Jun-28, 06:52 AM
If they shoot it from a different angle, maybe. Besides, how many people (besides you and me) remember Bogus Journey anyway?

::Raises hand::

Jeff Corwin went lizard hunting on that rock witht he dad from Malcom in the Middle on his (Corwin's) show. I also remember a behind the scenes type show once that was all about that rock, where it was, things it had been in, and so on. It's had a long career. And much shame.

Ara Pacis
2006-Jun-28, 08:16 AM
Station!

publiusr
2006-Jun-28, 05:34 PM
I taped them off of the Sci-fi channel when they ran the whole series in an hour and a half slots and showed them uncut, though the last few were in one hour slots but are almost as long so I guess they're all there. I still want the season DVDs but at $100 a shot, that's quite a finacial owwee.

That's the truth!

Gillianren
2006-Jun-28, 07:50 PM
Heck, you can buy the entire series (three seasons) of Due South for less than that! (About $20 a season.)

Klausnh
2006-Jul-22, 02:54 PM
Continuation of the the TOS 5 year mission on the internet:
New Voyages (http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/1024/home.php)

tdvance
2006-Jul-22, 05:23 PM
Continuation of the the TOS 5 year mission on the internet:
New Voyages (http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/1024/home.php)

Well, I have to try out an episode then! Walter Koenig--he's written a few Star Trek (original) episodes and Land of the Lost too I believe; he'll probably make an entertaining show.

(Meanwhile--I finally watched (not quite Star Trek) Star Wars 3--the best in my opinion of the first 3 episodes. But still--spacecraft made engine noises and when shot, fell from space...oh well! But I liked their Io clone, though strange it had breathable air....)

Todd

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-22, 06:45 PM
Well, I have to try out an episode then! Walter Koenig--he's written a few Star Trek (original) episodes and Land of the Lost too I believe; he'll probably make an entertaining show.

(Meanwhile--I finally watched (not quite Star Trek) Star Wars 3--the best in my opinion of the first 3 episodes. But still--spacecraft made engine noises and when shot, fell from space...oh well! But I liked their Io clone, though strange it had breathable air....)

Todd

From what I've read, Koenig just reprised his role as Chekov once or twice. He has nothing to do with the production aspects of this fan film series.

I had to check your statement about him writing, because I hadn't heard that. Apparently, he wrote the animated episode "The Infinite Vulcan," according to IMDB. I wasn't aware of that (though I'm not too familiar with the animated series).

SeanF
2006-Jul-22, 08:53 PM
First teaser poster for Star Trek XI has been released.

Here (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/19575.html) are the details.

Don't know if they're sticking with the "Starfleet Academy" idea, but the poster certainly hints at a TOS-era story.

Come to think of it, unless they retcon, the poster hints at a TOS U.S.S. Enterprise story.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-22, 11:39 PM
Don't know if they're sticking with the "Starfleet Academy" idea, but the poster certainly hints at a TOS-era story.
It hints a Kirk/Spock(/McCoy?)-centric story as well with the yellow and blue background.

ToSeek
2006-Jul-23, 03:37 AM
That's reading an awful lot into the shading of one poster.

Gillianren
2006-Jul-23, 06:02 AM
You know, I thought the Titan A. E. trailer before Phantom Menace, a mere year in advance, was advertising a movie too soon before it came out, but apparently not.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-23, 07:12 AM
I'll agree to that. :)

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-24, 11:52 AM
There's no red in that poster, I think that's because they're dead Jim :D

GDwarf
2006-Jul-24, 04:22 PM
Yes and no. The symbol is TOS, and in the series Kirk always wore yellow, McCoy blue. So it does hint that way, but at the same time it is a bit of a jump.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-24, 10:57 PM
Yes and no. The symbol is TOS, and in the series Kirk always wore yellow, McCoy blue. So it does hint that way, but at the same time it is a bit of a jump.
The rumors have been about a Kirk/Spock story (and Spock wore blue, too), so the teaser just seems to follow that. But, no, it really doesn't tell us anything new or give us any idea of what the flick is about (except that it involves the TOS crew).

SeanF
2006-Jul-25, 03:21 PM
I don't think we're "reading too much" into the poster. It's not a given that the movie will be a TOS-era original crew story, but the poster is clearly meant to invoke that.

"Reading too much" into it would be noting that the insignia is the command insignia, which neither Spock nor McCoy wore on their blue uniforms, and wondering if that contradiction means something... ;)

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-25, 08:01 PM
"Reading too much" into it would be noting that the insignia is the command insignia, which neither Spock nor McCoy wore on their blue uniforms, and wondering if that contradiction means something... ;)

The command star is probably more recognizable than the science insignia, but I did notice that. I figure since Spock was first officer, it was close enough. :)
I still won't use the wallpaper with the pure blue background. It goes against my Trekkie instincts. :D