PDA

View Full Version : The Faith Quiz

MAPNUT
2006-Jun-27, 05:10 PM
If the BA can blog about religion, I guess we can comment on it here. I took that quiz four different times to see how it is scored. It takes only four out of 13 "no" or "not sure" answers to disqualify you from a believer to an agnostic. I bet some believers would find that pretty insulting. You have to answer all 13 "no" to qualify as a hard-core atheist.

2006-Jun-27, 06:34 PM
BA Blog article in question: A flawed quiz about belief? I have no doubt. (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/06/26/a-flawed-quiz-about-belief-i-have-no-doubt/)

If the BA can blog about religion, I guess we can comment on it here.
I'm not convinced by that reasoning.

Dragon Star
2006-Jun-27, 06:39 PM
Yep, this thread probably won't fly far before it's wings are clipped...

ToSeek
2006-Jun-27, 08:05 PM
It's innocuous so far, but rest assured I'm keeping a close eye on it.

MAPNUT
2006-Jun-27, 08:34 PM
Well, so far nobody has commented on anything but the appropriateness of the topic. I expect it will be all right, because both the (infrequent) religious posters and the hard-core atheists here are nearly always polite. The trouble (from both sides) usually comes when conspiracy theorists and ID advocates get involved.

C'mon, somebody take the quiz!

I changed "rabid atheists" to "hard-core atheists". Just a common expression, but I don't want to start anything!

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-27, 08:44 PM
Do you believe that feelings about things should be admitted as evidence in establishing reality?

I was a bit unsure about this question.

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-27, 08:48 PM
what purpose does a quiz have anyway?

you already know where you are in regards to your beliefs, the only purpose in the questions in the quiz would be to start a debate.

Gillianren
2006-Jun-27, 09:22 PM
I definitely agree with whoever posted on the blog that it's skewed toward "the big three." I scored as an agnostic, which I'm really, really not.

I also didn't see how anyone could think nothing of the body remains on Earth after death. Even if your ashes are cremated and shot into space (I'm looking at you, Gene and Timothy), for one, they don't send all the ashes, just some--and even if they sent them all, things escape as gas during cremation itself, and that doesn't go into space. However, I feel quite certain that's not the question they were intending to ask.

Oh, and I answered "not sure" to easily half the questions, because I don't know and I'm not going to say I do. My feelings even about my own spirituality are subject to change, even if the core philosophies remain the same.

Maksutov
2006-Jun-27, 10:41 PM
I definitely agree with whoever posted on the blog that it's skewed toward "the big three." I scored as an agnostic, which I'm really, really not.[edit]Well, you know, if you're not part of one of the "big three", then as far as they're concerned, you're on the outside looking in.

It's a lot like buying a VW back in the 1950s. The big three would point and laugh at your yard stick used to see how much gas was left in the tank, and your flip-out turn signal indicators, and your split rear window, and your trunk in the front.

But, when you drove that VW past all those humongous GMs, Fords, and Chryslers stuck in the snow and ice, well, who was laughing then?

;)

Swift
2006-Jun-28, 02:44 AM
I came up as an agnostic, which is correct, but I don't think much of the test.
Is there an identifiable force coursing through the universe, holding it together, or uniting all life-forms? - Sure, gravity, etc., but I'm sure that is not what they meant.

Do you believe that any part of a human being survives death, elsewhere or here on earth? - Sure, atoms, probably entire molecules survive and are recycled in the ecosystem, but again, I don't think that's what they meant.

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-28, 03:30 AM
I came up as an agnostic, which is correct, but I don't think much of the test.
Is there an identifiable force coursing through the universe, holding it together, or uniting all life-forms? - Sure, gravity, etc., but I'm sure that is not what they meant.

it sounds a little like Jedi philosophy. the force!

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jun-28, 04:37 AM
I got "You may still be an atheist or agnostic, though not of the materialist variety.", switching gravity off as a force holding everything together got me "You are still an atheist, but you may have what I will call a pious relationship to the universe.", switching off my intestival bacteria which survive my death got me the same, switching off both got me to "You are a hard-core atheist and of a certain variety: a rational materialist."

Yay me! Stupid test.

I prefer this one: http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/ I think it was mentioned on the old board ages ago.
In that one, the 10 best fits for me was:
1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (96%)
3. Non-theist (86%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (81%)
5. Liberal Quakers (80%)
6. Neo-Pagan (76%)
7. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (67%)
8. Taoism (60%)
9. New Age (55%)
10. Mahayana Buddhism (54%)

If I remember right, Unitarianism has been described as the belief that there is at most one god. :)

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-28, 04:40 AM
if she wanted to have a test that showed whether people were atheists then she should have had the question "do you belive in God?", that would do it.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jun-28, 05:02 AM
if she wanted to have a test that showed whether people were atheists then she should have had the question "do you belive in God?", that would do it.
But if she wanted to seperate between believers, atheists and agnostics, it still takes two questions or one with three possibilities:
Do you believe there is a god? Y/N
Do you believe there is no god Y/N
or
Do you believe there is a god? Yes/No/Don't Know

Jeff Root
2006-Jun-28, 05:33 AM
Lots of possibilities.
Do you believe there is a god?
Do you believe there are gods?
Do you believe there could be gods, but there aren't any in fact?
Do you believe there used to be gods, but that they no longer exist?
Do you believe that God exists, but he had nothing to do with the
creation of the Universe?
Do you believe that God exists, but he's currently off duty?
Do you believe that God exists, but his powers have been greatly
exaggerated?
Do you believe that you are God?
Do you believe that you could do God's job better than he's been
doing recently if you were just given the chance?
Do you believe that God exists, but his wife has got after him to
quit fooling around with the Universe and attend to more important
matters?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Gillianren
2006-Jun-28, 07:45 AM
If I remember right, Unitarianism has been described as the belief that there is at most one god. :)

That's what my grandfather, the Methodist minister, used to say. (He had a thing about Unitarians.)

Edit: Oh, yeah--the quiz got my religion right (100% neo-Pagan); I resent its implication that "secular humanism" is a religion. It can't be. It's got the word "secular" in it!

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jun-28, 02:54 PM
There are several other philosophies of life that can't really be called religions on the list, so I'm not worried.

Gillianren
2006-Jun-28, 07:47 PM
That's probably because you haven't spent as much time as I studying banned books in America, and therefore haven't encountered the phrase "the religion of secular humanism" half so often. Consider yourself lucky.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jun-28, 08:04 PM
I will if you'll tell me where the phrase occurs, is it in the books themselves, or as something the books promote which is why it should be banned?

Gillianren
2006-Jun-28, 10:09 PM
Something the books "promote" (the authors often aren't even sure what secular humanism is) that causes certain people to attempt to have them banned.

Van Rijn
2006-Jun-28, 10:23 PM
But if she wanted to seperate between believers, atheists and agnostics, it still takes two questions or one with three possibilities:
Do you believe there is a god? Y/N
Do you believe there is no god Y/N
or
Do you believe there is a god? Yes/No/Don't Know

For any quiz like this, you'd need the definition of "god" or "gods" that a person was using. Otherwise, there would still be hidden assumptions in the questions.

WaxRubiks
2006-Jun-28, 10:30 PM
many people start off their beliefs from the "there is a God" position to start with and then the rest follows. This test seems to approach things from another position.

Vermonter
2006-Jun-28, 11:46 PM
According to the quizzes, I'm an atheist and a secular humanist. The second one didn't have atheist on the list. Not too sure about the second quiz, but sure.

Swift
2006-Jun-30, 02:37 AM
I had a bumper sticker on a previous car that read
"Militant agnostic, I don't know and you don't either" :)

AstroSmurf
2006-Jul-04, 09:09 AM
And there still isn't any "doesn't matter" option...

gwiz
2006-Jul-04, 09:26 AM
An hour ago I couldn't even spell "secular humanist", and now I am one.

Maksutov
2006-Jul-04, 09:49 AM
An hour ago I couldn't even spell "secular humanist", and now I am one.No.

To be somewhat realistic it would be

"...and now I are one."

Maksutov
2006-Jul-04, 09:57 AM
You are a hard-core atheist and of a certain variety: a rational materialist.

Since when has "rational materialist" been a certain type? An incredibly poorly-worded poll, where many of the subsequent questions depend on a "yes" answer to a previous question. The whole thing falls apart structurally and logically after about three questions.

Oh well.

loglo
2006-Jul-13, 01:01 PM
The whole thing falls apart structurally and logically after about three questions.

Perhaps the author has faith in its logical structure. :D

Lurker
2006-Jul-13, 08:31 PM
Can't I be religious and not believe in gods?? :razz:

PhantomWolf
2006-Jul-14, 03:48 AM
Can't I be religious and not believe in gods??

Yes, we call them Buddists.

ToSeek
2006-Jul-14, 04:08 PM
Someone once defined Unitarians as people who aren't religious but who like going to church. ;)

(Before anyone gets offended, I was raised as a Unitarian.)

ljbrs
2006-Aug-05, 05:59 PM
I am not religious in any sense. I have not gone to church since I was young (forced upon me). I am not against people who ARE religious (unless they are against me because of my lack of religion, in which case, I feel sorry for them for their needlessly focusing upon my beliefs). I simply have no reason to believe in seemingly non-existent entities. I believe that my life is probably a lot happier than the lives of true believers.

Whatever....

ljbrs

Cougar
2006-Aug-08, 05:46 PM
An incredibly poorly-worded poll, where many of the subsequent questions depend on a "yes" answer to a previous question. The whole thing falls apart structurally and logically after about three questions.
Exactly. Apparently written by a very narrow-minded religionist. I mean, who wouldn't realize that the "force" in the question....

Is there an identifiable force coursing through the universe, holding it together, or uniting all life-forms?
....could easily be identified as gravity? Incredibly poorly-worded and thoughtless poll.

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-08, 10:08 PM
Exactly. Apparently written by a very narrow-minded religionist.
Don't be so sure (http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/05-07-07.html).

someguy44
2006-Aug-09, 06:39 PM
I don't believe in gods that have mystic powers, but I might believe in god(s) that can create the universe or multiverses through science projects or accidents and I believe we're just so damn tiny or our so called universe with other universes are just specks of dust on someguy's shoulder and he and his universe are just specks of dust on some other guys shoulder and on and on...

I believe in gods like these: http://www.casavaria.com/sentido/science/2006/06-0802-new-universe.htm

Or, I can be completely off and everything in the universe will end at one point except space and time... well, maybe just time

WaxRubiks
2006-Aug-10, 01:26 AM
Don't be so sure (http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/05-07-07.html).

I agree with her that doubt is a creative force but the poll didn't seem very well thought out. I have doubt in that poll.

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-10, 09:58 AM
I agree with her that doubt is a creative force but the poll didn't seem very well thought out. I have doubt in that poll.
Oh sure, I don't disagree that the poll is poorly worked out. It was the 'narrow-minded religionist' point I was questioning :)

Damien Evans
2006-Oct-10, 07:41 AM
on the first test i got agnostic, on the second i got liberal christian protestant.

The reality: i'm (liberal) roman catholic

beskeptical
2006-Oct-15, 07:51 PM
The last question so obviously reveals the slant of the quiz.