PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a Hometown Hero

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Jun-28, 12:48 AM
Hey Guys, Sorry I Haven't Posted in a While, But I Had to Evacuate During The Recent Flooding and Finally Got a Chance to Hook Up My Computer Again, Only Because I'm House-Sitting for My Parents While they're In Las Vegas!

But, My Worries Pale In Comparison, to What Recently Befell a Family I Know ...

His Brother Was Friends With My Brother and we've ALL Worked for My Father, But The Things I Remember Most About Sgt. Russell M. Durgin (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Henniker+soldier+buried+amid +tears%2C+smiles%2C+hugs&articleId=25dee320-edc9-484e-8ea9-06dd4d242ae0), Was The Time we Delivered Furniture Together, Talked About Advanced Body-Armour and he Refused to Accept his Half of a 10 Dollar Tip; The Time I Ran into him at a Car Show After his Tour in Korea and he Spoke about Going Back on Duty in Iraq, And Just a General Wish I'd Gotten to Know him Better While I Had The Chance ...

Also, While I Wasn't Able to Get Off Work to Attend The Funeral, Sen. Kerry Seemed to Manage it; What Can I Say, his Family Loves Our Town, I Even Met his Younger Daughter During The Campaign!

Swift
2006-Jun-28, 02:35 AM
Hi Zaphod, glad to see you back. My thoughts are with you and the Durgin family.

Maksutov
2006-Jun-28, 02:47 AM
Sgt. Russell M. Durgin (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Henniker+soldier+buried+amid +tears%2C+smiles%2C+hugs&articleId=25dee320-edc9-484e-8ea9-06dd4d242ae0)

What a horrible loss. So many horrible losses. So many friends were lost between 1965 and 1975. It is terrible to see it happening again. And in the only Henniker on Earth. To his family, hopes and wishes for a better tomorrow. Then words fail...

Swift
2006-Jun-28, 03:08 AM
What a horrible loss. So many horrible losses. So many friends were lost between 1965 and 1975. It is terrible to see it happening again.
Where have all the young men gone,
Gone to graveyards, everyone,
When will we ever learn, when will we ever learn

(not a political statement about THE war, just a song about the fools we mortals be)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Jun-28, 03:40 AM
Thanks Everyone, I'm Sure he'd Appreciate it ...

The Irony Is, Even if he'd Known it Would've Ended This Way, he Probably STILL Would've Joined, he Was Just that Kind of Guy ...

Furthermore, there's Been Talk of Naming a Street After him in Rememberance, Heck, that's What they Did The Last Time This Happened, Way Back in WWII!

:cry: