PDA

View Full Version : Hello Left Hand, I'd Like You To Meet The Right Hand

Russ
2003-Apr-08, 03:44 AM
I was cruising the Astronomy Magazine web sight (because BABB had crashed(or something)) and found two articles of interest. One, http://www.astronomy.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/001/269pnkxj.asp
explained how " Satellite data indicate that the sun is experiencing a warming trend.

Same site, different article here http://www.astronomy.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/000/625pnogf.asp
was about "Ulysses Peers Down on a Quieting Sun".

I find it interesting that they have contradictory articles and do not make the effort to describe who/what/when/where/why/how these studies might come to such disparate conclusions.

Oh well! I guess the people at Astronomy.com can be human too.

roidspop
2003-Apr-08, 05:19 AM
Well, there's the sunspot cycle, which is now coming off its peak, and that's probably what is being referred to as the quieting sun. But that would be superimposed on whatever long-term trend might be developing. So you could have a general upturn in solar output, but overlain with the variability imposed by whatever drives sunspots.

Just a WAG. :wink:

Russ
2003-Apr-08, 06:02 AM
Well, there's the sunspot cycle, which is now coming off its peak, and that's probably what is being referred to as the quieting sun. But that would be superimposed on whatever long-term trend might be developing. So you could have a general upturn in solar output, but overlain with the variability imposed by whatever drives sunspots.

Just a WAG. :wink:
Ya make a good point but that is not the thrust of either article. The "getting warmer" article says the spots aint goin' away and the temp is risin'. The "Quieting " article says the spots is splittin' and the temp is fallin'.

Oh well! Ya pays ya money and takes ya confussion. :wink: :lol:

roidspop
2003-Apr-09, 03:36 AM
Read? Moi?

Well...The one about Ulysses says that the solar wind slows down during periods of maximum sunspot activity, and Ulysses has seen an increase in solar wind from the poles, which will probably spread toward the equatorial regions. Sounds like sunspot activity is declining, hm?

The one about Total Solar Irradiance seems to be saying that they see a trend of increasing solar output. Says that increases in TSI really show up in the solar minimums, the next of which is due in '06.

Ok. I read them both. I think I was right. Right hand, meet left.