PDA

View Full Version : Oh, my God! Nutball Central

Cryogenic
2003-Apr-08, 05:24 PM
This isn't necessarily bad astronomy or even bad physics ... it's just plain BAD! :o

Check these links out. Depending on your mood and inner psyche, they'll either make you laugh -- or cry out in desperation for the "future" (excuse the pun) of the human race. And you thought people like Bart Sibrel were nutty!

http://www.anomalies.net/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000024&p=1

http://www.anomalies.net/time_traveler/john.html

Be afraid, people, be very afraid. :P

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-08, 05:28 PM
.......I'm afriad........

....I'm very very afriad........

Krel
2003-Apr-08, 05:44 PM
Looks like in the 2060s, GE get cheap when printing their manuals.

David.

Byrd
2003-Apr-08, 05:52 PM
Bwahahahahaa!!!!

That's been circulating around the UFO boards for YEARS! Apparently this set of cheeseballs will believe anything. We debunked it once and now I've forgotten what in the heck it is. It is, however, an Army device and quite an old one. The manual is from the 1960's or 1970's or so.

tracer
2003-Apr-09, 02:12 AM
http://www.anomalies.net/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000024&p=1
"The unit is powered by two, top-spin, dual-positive singularities that produce a standard, off-set Tipler sinusoid."

Heh. Looks like somebody was playing with the Star Trek: The Next Generation random technobabble generator.

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-09, 03:52 AM
sinusoids.....I think I remember them from Math 12....... hated that class....

David Hall
2003-Apr-09, 02:53 PM
Aren't sinusoids some kind of nasal infection? Sounds uncomfortable to say the least. :-)

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-09, 02:55 PM
yeah..they just might be...... goes to show how much attention I paid in that class......

jamestox
2003-Apr-15, 06:02 AM
"The World's Source for Paranormal Information"..??

Oh, jeez. Just what we need, a 411 for people with no intelligence.

JT

irony
2003-Apr-15, 01:45 PM
You may be interested to know that even in 2036, there are a large number of people who donít believe in time travel.

Hey, it's good to know that the BABB will still be around then. :D

gethen
2003-Apr-15, 02:14 PM
I love the part where they ask you to log in and speak up if you're a time traveller--oh yeah, travel 30 years or so into the past, just to spend time on the internet? Shoulda stayed home.

daver
2003-Apr-15, 06:02 PM

JT

The Sci-Fi channel?

Nanoda
2003-Apr-16, 11:08 AM
So... what is it?
The manual looks authentic to me, except someone's replaced all the text with other stuff. The actual device appears to be of military manufacture; with the cheesiness of the rest of the stuff, I doubt the d00d had it made. I'm guessing army surplus.
I'd guessed it was some type of authentication device (for bombs? doors? computers?) with a retinal scanner or perhaps thumbprint scanner (it's got that lens thingy that doesn't look like a viewport).

Please! I must know what it is! Google isn't helping me at all. :-(

P.S. - If I were going to travel into the past (boring, really), I sure wouldn't bring back a crap computer. I've got enough of those in my basement - I might as well leave them here and get them later if I have that urge. Now that I think about it: unless you're going to find Jimmy Hoffa, or the guy on the grassy knoll, time travel to the past is kindof a drag.

jamestox
2003-Apr-16, 01:08 PM

JT

The Sci-Fi channel?

Hahahaha!! Sci-Fi or TLC.... and you know, I liked both (note past tense).

JT

beskeptical
2003-Apr-17, 08:42 AM
I can't believe I waited all that time for the page to download. I read a couple posts and hit the back key. You guys must have read far enough down to reach whatever the heck it is you are discussing. Just be glad some of those chatters aren't on this board. :P

Dark Helmet
2003-Apr-17, 10:17 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20030319/104808600007.html

^ there is hope for the future afterall. :D, Time Travelers are getting busted for insider stock trading. priceless..

...okay, its a fake, but I posted this because it resurfaced on /. (slashdot to the less technically inclined), and...it just plain funny!

I think Time travel will never exist, because, I have yet to see a tourist from some"when" else, ya.

Cryogenic
2003-Apr-18, 02:49 AM
I think Time travel will never exist, because, I have yet to see a tourist from some"when" else, ya.

Just because you have yet to see one doesn't mean they couldn't (in theory) be out there. Perhaps time travelers are required to adhere to a "Temporal Prime Directive" of sorts and limit the macroscopic influence they have by not revealing their true identities or where (and I say "where" because whenever you talk about space, you're also talking about time -- and vice versa) they come from. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. A specious analogy but I feel like being obstinate: have you seen an electron?

Dark Helmet
2003-Apr-18, 05:05 AM

Just because you have yet to see one doesn't mean they couldn't (in theory) be out there. Perhaps time travelers are required to adhere to a "Temporal Prime Directive" of sorts and limit the macroscopic influence they have by not revealing their true identities or where (and I say "where" because whenever you talk about space, you're also talking about time -- and vice versa) they come from. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. A specious analogy but I feel like being obstinate: have you seen an electron?

but is Time Travel exists and is used, it will also be abused. people whould be looking anachonistic always showing up in the right place at the right time, people trying to get a "Better picture" of history event. Murphys law applies to time tourism. someone will slip up at some-point. the only way I could see to prevent this, is to call the office post-mortem, before the guilty party goes, and tell them to deny a ticket. but that would not account for underground time-travel, (e.g.:Stalin mysteriously winds up dead, no witnesses were found or gunshot reported or bullet wound, 3 months later, Hitler suffers the same fate, no witnesses or gunshot wound)

Time travel is all or nothing.

darkhunter
2003-Apr-18, 04:56 PM
When I read Michael Crichten's Timeline he got around this by the fact that one outsider would be unable to change history because they would be denied access to the places they would have to be (i.e. in a posistion to get a clear shot for an assasination--they would have to beat the security on top of not haveing the ingrained knowledge to not stand out).

However: who's to say that the time travelers have not sculted our history to it's current form for their own ends?

daver
2003-Apr-18, 07:07 PM
When I read Michael Crichten's Timeline he got around this by the fact that one outsider would be unable to change history because they would be denied access to the places they would have to be (i.e. in a posistion to get a clear shot for an assasination--they would have to beat the security on top of not haveing the ingrained knowledge to not stand out).

Plot device. Hitler was not guarded every minute of his life, neither John Wikes Booth. Jerusalem circa 30 A.D. wasn't. It would help to have a time patrol in place to give you a cover identity, but if you wanted to devote several years you could do it yourself. If you wanted to take out Nero, you have to outwit a security detail that's not protecting against grenades or 1000 yard kills. If you have time machine technology, you probably have even more sophisticated ways of killing people.

However: who's to say that the time travelers have not sculted our history to it's current form for their own ends?

Poul Anderson had a time patrol series; in one of the stories it appears that the mysterious people running the time patrol had actually scuttled history.