PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of avatar and nicknames

suntrack2
2006-Jul-01, 05:13 PM
I think it was started when the internet born on the earth, it seem to be more intelligent use of internet by using the nicknames, besides the nicknames people started to use some "eye-catcher" avatars, but one question falls in my mind always that who started this method very first in the world. Infact the western countries started use on a huge count of such things on the internet.

But anyway it's really amazing.

What exactly you would like to add something here, about your opinion.

Are they must to use always? what speciality indicates of using avatars?
or it is just a fun? or it is just to avoid our original identity to the world?

This is a off topic though.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-01, 05:24 PM
It came about as a way for members of large forums to be visually recognizable at just a glance, because some members names are unusual and may be similar to other members names which can get confusing, it is also a way of expression for the individual member.

Gillianren
2006-Jul-01, 05:56 PM
Actually, ToSeek picked mine.

SolusLupus
2006-Jul-01, 07:46 PM
Mine is a logo made for me by a good friend. I like the look of it, and it's associated with who I am. If I ever get into business, I might end up using it.

Edit: Except this one here. That's just based on my like of Hellsing. I need to change it.

parallaxicality
2006-Jul-01, 09:06 PM
Mine is a forum loaner because I can't figure out how to import a picture into here.

TheBlackCat
2006-Jul-01, 09:16 PM
Mine is from a video game my best friend's development studio is making.

George
2006-Jul-01, 09:58 PM
When Aggies discovered we could go to the sun by going at night, my wife and I decided to do so. We picked out a nice beach next to a cool sun spot. This night shot was my favorite. Now you see why they call it the photo sphere. [/cornjunctive]

Van Rijn
2006-Jul-01, 10:00 PM
My avatar image dates back to the '60s. Check my sig if you want to read more about it.

My online pseudonym dates back to 1980. I was much more rough around the edges then. I could get nasty in an argument - I don't know if I could have managed on BAUT or not.

By the way (and I wouldn't be surprised if this has been ToSeeked, but this seems the right place to mention it) it should be noted that ToSeek has turned evil:

http://www.bautforum.com/member.php?u=27

George
2006-Jul-01, 10:08 PM
By the way (and I wouldn't be surprised if this has been ToSeeked, but this seems the right place to mention it) it should be noted that ToSeek has turned evil:

http://www.bautforum.com/member.php?u=27
His wife suggested it looks more like him, per another thread, somewhere. Or, he is just getting tougher having to deal with evil doers.

darkhunter
2006-Jul-02, 02:02 AM
My Pseudonym dates back to 1992 when I was in Iceland--Darkhunter was the name of the dragon I had in one leg of a cave to the party would go down the other leg. Instead, there was a short fight where one of the party members used a newbie-DM-mistake-magic-cruise arrow (got the idea from a Far Side cartoon) that resulted in Darkhunter losing a part of his tail and fleeing. Natuarlly, he held a grudge and relentlesly harrassed them every time they went into ay underground location* (all the caves in my world are linked by a system of tunnels, and Darkhunter was agoraphobic [would have been my explanation for him letting them flee had they not attacked])

Darkhunter then joined forces with an evil wizard (that the same party had driven from his lair) in order to destroy the party. The wizard** turned on Drarkhunter by attempting to turn him into a Dracoliche under his control. Darkhunter was turned into a Dracoliche, but killed the Wizard before the spell to take control of him was complete. Darkhunter hid his anima in a young barbarian during the night he spent alone on a mountain top seeking a vision to reveal his adult name and cast a spell offorgetfullness over both of them so that it would remain a secret and thus ensure his (and also the barbarian's) immortality as they would be impossible to kill. All that the barbarian "remembered" about his vision was "eternal darkness and an endless hunt, so the Shaman, by coincidence, called him Darkhunter.

Over the years, there have been many failed attempts to slay either or both of the Darkhunters. While they both started out as Evil, there was a fairly significant event (that I haven't worked out exactly what) that resulted in their alignment becoming Neutral Good(ish--for a given value of good)--more an unstoppable force of Nature than creatures.

Please note that this was 4 years BEFORE Dragonheart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116136/) came out.

My avatar is a picture I drew to depict the two Darkhunters....

*This resulted in the first (and only) party I've GMed for that would actually refuse to go dungeon crawling--or even visit a Dwarven city.

**Named Myrodraxus if anyone cares

suntrack2
2006-Jul-02, 01:20 PM
nice replies given by you. Dragon said that it is useful to use for not repeat of the same name by another, that's fine. even the digits are found useful for some people as they are using mostly for the nicknames, for example: 301001 and so on, infact this is a best idea to use instead of any words. later our brain forgets which digits were there in the window, but our brain can easily understand that such and such statement was made by "john"(nickname). our brain has a capacity to understand the difference and as well as it can understand very well the pictures and which also helps for the brain to draw some conclusion from looking pictures in the avatars.

R.A.F.
2006-Jul-02, 01:33 PM

I believe that his avatar is getting ready to shave off the beard. (That's assuming that the white object in the picture is an electric shaver. It could just as easily be a phaser or a television remote control. :))

Māori
2006-Jul-02, 02:06 PM
I'm still confused about my avatar and signature. I figured Einstein is super cool, so I chose the coolest photo I could find of him. Does anyone else have my avatar here on BAUT? :shifty:

I previously had the Gypsy Moth, Lymantria dispar (Linnaeus) female (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.forestryimages.org/images/384x256/2652074.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.forestryimages.org/invasive.cfm&h=256&w=384&sz=20&hl=en&start=201&tbnid=hYszYxtrnWAz4M:&tbnh=79&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dasian%2Bfemale%26start%3D189%26ndsp%3 D21%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DHPIB,HP IB:2006-16,HPIB:en%26sa%3DN).

TheBlackCat
2006-Jul-02, 03:02 PM
My nickname (or handle, whatever you want to call it) is the same one I use everwhere online, and have for several years now. It was the name of a character for a story idea I have been working on for a long time. I developed the name a decade ago, and as the character and story underwent some drastic changes about 3 years ago the name was no longer appropriate, so I changed it a year ago. I still use it for myself online, though, because that is what everyone knows me by.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Jul-02, 06:06 PM
What can I say? I've always had a fascination for absurdism and Lewis Carrol had a definite way with words. I started off with just Jubjub (after the bird) but realized that adding nobility gives the name a certain panache.

BTW, parallaxicality, you need to put a small image in your own webspace and then simply link your avatar to that website address.

jkmccrann
2006-Jul-02, 06:21 PM
My avatar is still under consideration, as for nicknames, I've got plenty of those elsewhere - don't need one for here!

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-03, 01:10 AM
BTW, parallaxicality, you need to put a small image in your own webspace and then simply link your avatar to that website address.
You don't even need to do that. You can upload an image from your own computer to use. That's all I've ever done. (It needs to be 80x80 pixels max, IIRC.)

Swift
2006-Jul-03, 04:43 AM
I'm away for a day or so and ToSeek's avatar is now the evil Spook. Does this mean this is now the anti-BAUT and all the rules are reversed?

Māori
2006-Jul-03, 04:48 AM
I'm away for a day or so and ToSeek's avatar is now the evil Spook. Does this mean this is now the anti-BAUT and all the rules are reversed?
Apparently, you didn't see this photo (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=775542#post775542) of him! :shhh:

paulie jay
2006-Jul-03, 07:31 AM
Mine is just a close up of one my basses.

yuzuha
2006-Jul-04, 04:04 AM
My handle is 柚子葉 which was given to me years ago by a Japanese pen pal since I was driving her crazy asking about yuzu recipies (means yuzu leaf, and yuzu is sort of a Japanese citrus fruit that is used in ponzu sauces etc), and my avatar is a character 由厨葉 from the anime Manatsu no Eve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzuha It just seemed appropriate since both names romanize as "yuzuha". My tag line is a samurai death poem by Choko.

Maksutov
2006-Jul-04, 06:49 AM
Mine is the scope I always wanted, but couldn't afford. The avatar is emblematic of the kinder, gentler Mak, as opposed to the T-Rex, which still prowls on FWIS, but hasn't found anything lately worth terrorizing. Of course if you're a puddy-tat, the current avatar might not be that much kinder or gentler. ;)

parallaxicality
2006-Jul-04, 09:20 AM
My name is special. A while back I was at a college that I thought was for intellectual weirdos, but turned out to be for religious fundamentalists. The stated aim of the school was to deconstruct everything you ever learned and reeducate you from scratch. I suffered a nervous breakdown and basically shut down for three years. I fell into the same cycle that David Hume did; is there anything absolute? What can we ever truly know? How can I say that someone who believes the world is six thousand years old is wrong? Then I found out about parallax. It wasn't much, but it was something. I grasped it like a rock in stormy seas. Here was something that not only proved the Earth moved round the Sun, but also proved that the universe was millions of years old. I was a bit thrown when I found out the Hipparcos results were probably wrong, though.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-04, 10:54 AM
the avtar represents you or what it represents? or it is just a tag with fancy design!

thanks paralaxality for the nice reply.

sunil

parallaxicality
2006-Jul-04, 02:45 PM
Thank you :)

I've swapped it out. I think this one is more "parallaxy". I've only recently figured out how to save images on my computer, and I've been doing it a lot.

ciderman
2006-Jul-04, 04:06 PM
Ciderman is an old personal nickname for that cheeky chappie who would occasionally emerge after a few drinks. The Avatar is of course a cider apple! (Tremletts Bitter) & seemed appropriate for here with the link to Newton.
Maori - I thought you choose that pic for the Maori tongue poking challenge!

Chuck
2006-Jul-05, 01:43 AM
My mother didn't like "Charlie".

galaxygirl
2006-Jul-05, 03:56 AM
I don't really know where I got my nickname... well, I am a girl... and I think galaxies are cool. As for my avatar, I just put one up- it's of a drawing I did last year I believe, though it's a bit small so I might have to swap it for something else.

TheBlackCat
2006-Jul-05, 04:11 AM
I might recommend zooming in on the face or the top half of the fairy or something like that. For instance my pic is a big...well gargoyle, but I played with the cropping until I got a happy balance between being able to see detail and being able to see as much of the creature as possible.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jul-05, 04:23 AM
Well ever since I have been involved with computers I have used the handle "Phantom" basically due to "The Ghost Who Walks." A few years back I was regeristing for a Forum and found "Phantom" was gone so I attached "Wolf" to it, and it stuck.

As to the Avatar, really it's a coincidence, I found the gif and modified it with the name, but long before using it for an Avatar. The fact I tend to howl on a bit and often about Apollo made the image really fitting with the howling at the moon aspect, so it has sort of stuck too. :)

Maksutov
2006-Jul-05, 05:31 AM
I might recommend zooming in on the face or the top half of the fairy or something like that...NO, no. Leave it the way it is. It wouldn't be the same without those crossed legs!

Nice drawing, galaxygirl!

(belated wishes for a happy birthday!)

galaxygirl
2006-Jul-05, 06:23 AM
Thank you for both the compliment and the happy birthday :-)

The avatar I have on now is a cropped version of the one I had when I made that post. Still somewhat small but that's ok.

Tog
2006-Jul-05, 06:28 AM
My avatar is a Screenshot from the Game City of Heroes. The screen name is my name on the forums there, and our own Supergroup forums. It's a character that started out in Shadowbane, a minotaur barbarian. I liked the name and concept, and when I found I could make something close in CoH, I Used it. Plus, it's easy to spell :)

suntrack2
2006-Jul-05, 10:44 AM
Galaxy, Happy Birthday(belated).

I have seen lot of designs of many sites and discussion forums avtar and nicknames, I was just reading there forum's material, but on BaUt I found world's most beautiful avtar and nicknames, you know there is a simple question "what's in name", but I will ask here "what's in nickname" !:)

In the year 1980 there were no such avtars and many odd nicknames but later when the technology developed, people also stick with the changes, and change is the property of this huge world. We are not changing we are static but our tools and presentation is somewhat changing rapidly.

To search for the real evolution of these concepts is looking hard for me, you may ask me why you are searching this path that how they are evolved, my answer is .. I will give you lateron.

sunil

Swift
2006-Jul-05, 12:46 PM
I've used Swift as my nom de net as far back as the mid-80s and BITnet days. It was my nickname in high school (back in the 70s) and comes from Jonathan Swift, with whom I share a first name and a love of satire. The avatar is recent and particular to this forum. I saw these little Blue Jean frogs (they are a variety of the poison arrow frog) when I was in Costa Rica last year; I like frogs and it seemed appropriate as one of the resident tree huggers. Frogs are usually swift little fellows too.

FrostByte
2006-Jul-05, 02:03 PM
Evolution of avatar and nicknames

May I do remind you that evolution is just a theory... It may very well be that God created avatars and nicknames 6000 years ago.

I couldn't resist :p

Swift
2006-Jul-05, 03:21 PM
Evolution of avatar and nicknames

May I do remind you that evolution is just a theory... It may very well be that God created avatars and nicknames 6000 years ago.

I couldn't resist :p
:doh:
:lol:
Which brings up the question, what are the evolutionary pressures on nicknames and avatars? Are there internet "eco-systems"? Would BAUT be considered one such eco-system?

Some possible pressures on their evolution (first draft):
- person already has same name/avatar (niche is filled)
- people don't take you seriously because of name/avatar (decreased opportunities for interactions - net equivalent of mating)
- changes in environment (for example the BA forum didn't have avatars; the combining of UT and BA forums was like the removal of a geological barrier that allowed for new interactions and competition)

GDwarf
2006-Jul-05, 04:38 PM
My avatar tends to be rather fluid, changing fairly often (although less so now then it used to), based on whims. Previously it was Flanders & Swann, a comedy duo, it's currently my Character from the game Guild Wars: Factions, which has been consuming all of my free time as of late.

My name, however, has a bit of a history behind it. A few years ago, I honestly can't remember how long now, I think it's close to five, maybe six, I wanted to join a forum dedicated to the Legend of Zelda video game series, however, being somewhat younger at the time I couldn't think of an original name, and so tried to name myself after the villain of that series, Ganondorf (or Ganon, depended on the game). Now, that name was taken so I tried a mis-spelling, Ganon_dwarf (Spaces not being allowed). It stuck and I used it for a long time. However, after I started joining other websites I found that even Ganon_Dwarf had been taken, so I abbreviated it to my nick-name in a chat room I often visited, GDwarf, which I've used everywhere else.

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-05, 05:23 PM
In the year 1980 there were no such avtars and many odd nicknames but later when the technology developed, people also stick with the changes, and change is the property of this huge world. We are not changing we are static but our tools and presentation is somewhat changing rapidly.

To search for the real evolution of these concepts is looking hard for me, you may ask me why you are searching this path that how they are evolved, my answer is .. I will give you lateron.

sunil

One of the 1st uses of avatars (& named such) in the networked computer world was probably an early RPG for the Commodore 64 called Habitat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_(video_game)), developed in the mid 80's. This later was improved & relaunched for pc's on Compuserve & called Worlds Away in the mid 90's - Which btw I was an early participant of, under, of course:), the same nick name. For any oldies that remember me, My avatar was male, thin build, dressed in Green & Black & had the 1st special halloween skull face. Sorry for wandering off there... fond memories. (returns to 'Ghost mode') :)

P.s the author Neil Stephenson originally thought he'd 1st used the term avatar to represent an on-line virtual appearance in his excellent novel Snow Crash, but as he mentions in the acknowledgements, after publishing he heard about how it had already been in use within Habitat for several years.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-05, 05:41 PM
My current avatar is a crop out of of a really cool pic I found. It doesn't do it any justice compared to the original...but I still like it.

Gillianren
2006-Jul-06, 12:22 AM
I'm Gillian at Ren Faires and I hate my real name, hence "Gillianren."

pumpkinpie
2006-Jul-06, 02:00 PM
My avatar is my favorite picture of Saturn's rings (http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/image-details.cfm?imageID=847) from Cassini.

My nickname was my cb call name when I was a kid.

mickal555
2006-Jul-06, 04:53 PM
When I signed up for my email I wanted mickal I just liked it first thing that popped into my head it beat michal_a_s_8... well I did in grade 6 when I signed up for my new email, mickal@bigpond.com was already taken so I just added some arbitary digits "555".

When I signed up for BABB, I just put in mickal555, didn't even think to use something else or drop the 555's...

When I reached kilopi mickal666 was born... he made a just one post to celebrate kilopi, no-one wanted me to completly change into something else...

My first advatuar I made after crowning myself a power-crazed admin over at my own board(see sig), it was a man holding a globe saying try and stop me- I actually just re colored a simpsons image... It wasn't really that good and when I used it at FWIS, ikyoto replaced it with my current hippo- after I said I wish I had a proper one, but the gallery ones didn't suit me although I did like the hippo celebrating something with beer.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to use it anywhere else, I really don't know about that, I don't think ickyoto minds though...

NYPinTA
2006-Jul-06, 05:25 PM
My screen name comes from how much of a pest I can be... and I can be. And I live in New York.

My avatar is a logo created by TheOneTrueB!x from another BB. It's a combination of the logo from the movie "Serenity" and the Equality Now symbol. I was one of the organizers of the world wide screenings of Serenity to raise money for Equality Now this past June.
And it looks cool, IMO.

My favorite avatar that I use on most boards though is of a winkin Mountain Lion. I'll probably change it to that soon anyway.

I like avatars and nicks because in real life, most people have names chosen for them. But online, you get to pick your own. It's an ultimate expression of self, I think. Or just a bit of fun.

pumpkinpie
2006-Jul-06, 05:49 PM
My screen name comes from how much of a pest I can be... and I can be. And I live in New York.

My avatar is a logo created by TheOneTrueB!x from another BB. It's a combination of the logo from the movie "Serenity" and the Equality Now symbol. I was one of the organizers of the world wide screenings of Serenity to raise money for Equality Now this past June.
And it looks cool, IMO.

Thanks for your work, NYPinTA! I was able to enjoy Serenity in Arlington, VA two weeks ago.
And your avatar *does* look cool!

Rystefn K'ryll
2006-Jul-07, 02:27 AM
The name is old as dirt... ok, so it's about ten years old, but when you've got the ADHD, that's a LONG time. It means something like "The stalwart defender, chosen of god" or something like that in some language some guy made up for some game. How vague can I be? About that vague. Anyway, I've been using it in the online world almost since I first used it as the name of my character in said game.

The av is simply a picture of me. On many forums, I use "Wings of Reflection" by Royo, but it's a bit PG-13, and there are children present.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-07, 09:26 AM
I am enjoying the thoughts of the beautiful personalities here with their wise words with a different kind of glaze on their "thinking style".

Do you think that people suppress their originality on the net by using nicknames and avtars ?

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-07, 10:19 AM
I am enjoying the thoughts of the beautiful personalities here with their wise words with a different kind of glaze on their "thinking style".

Do you think that people suppress their originality on the net by using nicknames and avtars ?

No not at all, why should that be the case? If anything, anonymity could serve to let people feel more free to express themselves. The avatars & nicknames are a way of expressing yourself in an original way in themselves too:)

Swift
2006-Jul-07, 01:08 PM

I second what Roy said. If anything, people can at least be more open, if not more original. I also do it because I'm a little paranoid. Given my real name, my address, phone number, etc. are easily found, and given that I sometimes express strong opinions, particularly in the conspiracy forum, I think a little privacy is called for.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-10, 10:14 AM
thanks swift, well, I am endorsing the usage of avatar styles : are just for funs and nothing more and to decorate the window as well.
or do you think any other reason!

sunil

Swift
2006-Jul-10, 01:23 PM
I think avatars are mostly just fun, but they are helpful in that, I can tell at a glance who the post is from, at least for those with a unique avatar.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-10, 02:07 PM
I think avatars are mostly just fun, but they are helpful in that, I can tell at a glance who the post is from, at least for those with a unique avatar.
I do that, too, to some degree. Of course, I'm also a tad hypocritical at times, also. :)

Swift
2006-Jul-10, 03:07 PM
I do that, too, to some degree. Of course, I'm also a tad hypocritical at times, also. :)
Oh sure, go and change your avatar now and ruin my whole system. :p

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-10, 04:15 PM
Oh sure, go and change your avatar now and ruin my whole system. :p

Come on, who else has had a blatant DS9 avatar around (besides my Bajoran Wormhole one before Starbuck)?

Besides, I was looking for something new to do somewhere, and the station appearing for the first time in the credits was the perfect size. :dance::D

Māori
2006-Jul-10, 06:04 PM
Come on, who else has had a blatant DS9 avatar around (besides my Bajoran Wormhole one before Starbuck)?

Besides, I was looking for something new to do somewhere, and the station appearing for the first time in the credits was the perfect size. :dance::D
I like this one better for you. Your last one made me think you were a girl. :D

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-11, 12:50 AM
I like this one better for you. Your last one made me think you were a girl. :D

Yeah, that's part of the reason to change it. Not everyone around here knows that the character Tobin Dax is male (as am I). The girl was up because, well, Starbuck's hot. :D

suntrack2
2006-Jul-11, 04:37 PM
Tobin Dax is really a nice name. sometime the nicknames confuse us about their genders though. :)

Māori
2006-Jul-11, 10:10 PM
I wish I looked like Starbuck (as I am a female). :razz:

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-12, 12:57 AM
I wish I looked like Starbuck (as I am a female). :razz:

No joke? I didn't know that...

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-12, 01:01 AM
Everybody knows that only females stick their tongue out at folks :p

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-12, 01:08 AM
Everybody knows that only females stick their tongue out at folks :p

Wait...are you saying you are too 0_o?

Māori
2006-Jul-12, 01:08 AM
No joke? I didn't know that...
Did you think I was Einstein? I like the tongue photo, so I had to make it my Avatar.

Einstein was great, and there are recently released letters (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=782130#post782130)20 years after the death of his daughter given to the Hebrew University.

I started a thread for you to see, Dragon Star. :razz:

Māori
2006-Jul-12, 01:11 AM
Wait...are you saying you are too 0_o?
I bet Roy Batty is a male, with a tongue. :p

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-12, 01:12 AM
I'm a male (else Pris would be worried:)).

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-12, 01:13 AM
No I didn't think you were Einstein silly, It's just usually here unless people know your a women your a man, until someone calls the women a man and then is corrected. Then we all know, and thus far I have yet to see you say anything about it. I will check the thread in just a moment.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-12, 01:15 AM
I'm a male (else Pris would be worried:)).

Good, because I think I remember referring to you as a male before, and I didn't want to have to apologize as I have before to others.;)

FTR I use the tongue smiley all the time...and I am a male. So :p.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-12, 02:41 AM
Not knowing a poster's gender can last a long time. I don't think I knew Nereid was female until a couple months ago. (If I did before, I forgot.)

Edit: I guess we could start up a "What's your gender?" thread again.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-12, 02:49 AM
Yep, refreshing the old one would be a dead post.

TheBlackCat
2006-Jul-12, 04:21 AM
I don't think I knew Nereid was female until a couple months ago. (If I did before, I forgot.)

Isn't her gender self-evident from her name, though?

Gillianren
2006-Jul-12, 04:30 AM
I certainly thought so.

Van Rijn
2006-Jul-12, 06:21 AM
It was, at least, a very strong hint.

Tog
2006-Jul-12, 07:34 AM
In the MMO I play we had a regular, very popular member that only spoke in the third person as thier character (which was female). Having a female character means nothing. About 1/2 of mine are female because it fits the concept better. But even on the forums, this person would say things like, "so the other day Jane was sitting around by the drain and Jane saw something really funny." Jane, of course, is speaking for Jane. This person was in game for 2 years or so, and I teamed with them regularly once a week for 9 months. There was even a survey about gender. 85% said female. When they left the game, they revealed the truth. Male. He still pops by the forums from time to time, and most of us still think of 'Jane' as female. Another player, and regular, that we all assumed to be male turned out to be female. Something that no one expected. To everyone, 'he' is still male.

I think for games, it's much more likely that the person is male in real life, and I always assume that to be the case unless told otherwise. Especially after being so completely fooled by 'Jane'. People with feamle characters still get hit on and propositioned in game though.

My original name on AOL was a derivative of Spiny Norman, and a woman I knew well thought I was female for 6 months, even though I did nothing to give that impression other than NOT hit on her. The time of day I was on, and the room I was in, it was very common for me to be the only male of 15 or so members. Many of them would forget I was male when to topics would stray from the gme the room as supposed to be to other issues.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-12, 08:24 AM
It was, at least, a very strong hint.
Only if your mythology is good enough. :) My user name's very strong hint, too, and that doesn't always do it.
(:shifty:)

snarkophilus
2006-Jul-12, 08:49 AM
What can I say? I've always had a fascination for absurdism and Lewis Carrol had a definite way with words. I started off with just Jubjub (after the bird) but realized that adding nobility gives the name a certain panache.

I am also named in a Carrollian fashion! There's an explanatory essay associated with "The Hunting of the Snark" written by Snarkophilus Snobbs. I do not like to think of myself as snobby, but I certainly am a snarkophile (one who likes snarks), so I adopted the name.

I have been hunting for a suitable avatar for a while now. I was planning on using the sea urchin that lived down the hall from me, but he died a few weeks ago, before I could take a picture. Now, I think I want to adopt the Ski-Free monster to represent me, but my tastes change frequently, and I don't want to be changing my picture every few days. I have a nice picture of the He-H2 energy surface that would also suit me, but I need to find a good way to pack it into a little picture. Also, my work on that is ending soon, so I would have to switch to HHD in a few months anyway. Sigh....

parallaxicality
2006-Jul-12, 09:22 AM
It's a shame; I am in possession of a REALLY cool picture of a snark, but it's in a book and I am scanner-incompetent.

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-12, 11:26 AM
Careful, some are Boojums... :)

Swift
2006-Jul-12, 02:23 PM
I have been hunting for a suitable avatar for a while now.
You could use google/images and search on Snark, there seem to be lots of various things.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-15, 09:39 AM
this is not a avtar's and nickname's gender confirmation topic, I would like to get a feedback from you, that how the use started while dicussions and letter writing, people uses mostly some different names than their original one. In my opinion the nickname like heres are looks like a negative of the photo copy !

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-15, 02:03 PM
this is not a avtar's and nickname's gender confirmation topic, I would like to get a feedback from you, that how the use started while dicussions and letter writing, people uses mostly some different names than their original one. In my opinion the nickname like heres are looks like a negative of the photo copy !

Yes, well, I did try & contribute in what I thought was the spirit of what you meant for this thread.
http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=777592&postcount=39
:)

ciderman
2006-Jul-15, 02:30 PM
I've not read it but I understand the scifi novel "True Names" by Vernor Vinge may be relevant, aparently some good predictions/ideas about people using 'masks' to conceal identities in a virtual enviroment, from 1984.
I'd post a link to the full story, but that may be naughty, I'll just recomend searching in the usual fashion!

BigDon
2006-Jul-17, 09:12 PM
About six years ago the guys I move furniture with hung that name on me. I started wieght lifting back in high school, (Class of '78) and have a rather large chest. Though I'm not that tall, (5'10) I'm a solid 235 pounds. My kids refer to me having "man boobs" which really torqued me off. I had to say "No, thats when really fat guys deposit fat in unfortunate places. What I have are pectoral muscles!" Which was a mistake because now whenever they want to get my goat they bring that up. Aren't kids wonderful?

Lurker
2006-Jul-17, 11:04 PM
my avatar didn't evolve... it was created... :p

suntrack2
2006-Jul-18, 12:25 PM
very much thankful for using a "artistic exibition of a creative mind's imaginary" here, the avtar are cute one, but yet I have not found any 3D avatar, if you have that kind of then I would like to see that, but what kind of spectacle to see that 3 D avatar to experience that avtar in 3Dimensional. :)

thanks Lurker you have created a marvelous design, as I said in the first line.

yours
topic starter.

mugaliens
2006-Jul-18, 06:54 PM
Avatar's the result of a quote of a rather ingenious friend of mine who once said over dinner with his wife, mine, and two other couples, "Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, but it stands to reason, as my Dad always told my brother and I we were dumb as a box of rocks." (humor was in the delivery...)

The aliens part is because I moved to Germany recently and feel like a stranger in a strange land, although it's a fairly accurate reflection of life in the US compared to some foreign countries.

The mug part gets complicated, but I'll let the reader assume whatever they wish, so long as they don't skirt the issue.

triplebird
2006-Jul-19, 02:04 AM
My username comes from Pokemon. My favorite character is/was Dodrio, a three-headed dodolike bird*--a triple bird. The original game's Pokedex apparently had a ten-character limit for the discription of each character as it listed Dodrio's type as "triplebird" (one word). I adopted Dodrio's type as my web name in 2000. My avatar is my namesake, Dodrio the triplebird. :D

Brent

*Get it?: dodo + trio = Dodrio :)

ASEI
2006-Jul-19, 02:19 AM
Mine was originally the acronym for a space colony corporation in a badly written sci-fi story of mine.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-19, 12:32 PM
thanks triplebird and asei, infact the "pokeman" item is much popular amongst the childrens, I heard there is a great craze of stickers of pokeman, and the tatoos, etc, childrens are fond of such things on a large scale, and if we talk with them in this language where they are more interested, the childrens found giving a nice response, they hear our words, but as soon as we tell them stop pokeman and start study, their face shows a sign of "laughing moon goes in shrinkage". Inshort the avatar is nothing but a "electronic tatoo".

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jul-19, 05:46 PM
very much thankful for using a "artistic exibition of a creative mind's imaginary" here, the avtar are cute one, but yet I have not found any 3D avatar, if you have that kind of then I would like to see that, but what kind of spectacle to see that 3 D avatar to experience that avtar in 3Dimensional. :)

thanks Lurker you have created a marvelous design, as I said in the first line.

yours
topic starter.
Erhm, my avatar is actually 4d.
Ok, a 3d projection of a 4d object.

It may not be easy to see in that small version, but it should be easier here (http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/interests/raytracing.html).

suntrack2
2006-Jul-20, 11:56 AM
Thanks Henrik, you are clever, the designs you made are really nice. 4D is beyond 3 D, but on computer can we see the 3D experience and how?

mostly it is observed about avatars, they appear on the computer when the computer came in this world. Because most of the people in the world never used any designs or a logo while writing the letters except the professional correspondence.

But when there was a boom started in the field of computer all miracles are coming out, avatar is a incarnation of that. Before that nicknames took birth on the computers to overlap the real identity of oneself.

sunil

PhantomWolf
2006-Jul-21, 01:35 AM
mostly it is observed about avatars, they appear on the computer when the computer came in this world. Because most of the people in the world never used any designs or a logo while writing the letters except the professional correspondence.

But when there was a boom started in the field of computer all miracles are coming out, avatar is a incarnation of that. Before that nicknames took birth on the computers to overlap the real identity of oneself.

This isn't really correct. People have used Coats of Arms, Signat Rings, Personal Seals and many other things to identify their writtings for millienia. Today we just just a different form of seal on out writtings and we don't have to be over rich to have one.

hhEb09'1
2006-Jul-21, 03:05 AM
This isn't really correct. People have used Coats of Arms, Signat Rings, Personal Seals and many other things to identify their writtings for millienia. Today we just just a different form of seal on out writtings and we don't have to be over rich to have one.graffitistos have used them forever :) oswald arnie kilroy was here

suntrack2
2006-Jul-21, 12:40 PM
picture of frog, other animals, asteroid, other space items, beams, dots, strips, robot all are appeared in the avtar, in choosing the avtar people select the rare one and different than the other's avtar. They just wanted to show that they are much diffrent than anyone. ( this is a presumption) This also applies with the nicknames, the nicknames never appear on the computer with a similar nickname, every one has some different quality, our brain automatically choose and know the difference.

mugaliens
2006-Jul-21, 01:05 PM
Agreed - and the logo of every master craftsman since the dawn of man has been on his handiwork, from metal to pottery to leather, wooden or iron tools, gold, bronze, rings, clothing, masonry, music - you name it, and everyone has a logo of some sort or another.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-22, 09:23 AM
thanks mugaliens, very nice reply by you, I was laughing to the list of avtars you stated, but you have not added some guitar, clarinet, cars, planes, helicopters, demon photos, ghosts, smoke, ice, the list is I think unlimited, even alien is not rest aside, aliens also included in the photo of avtars, very nice.

But you can see in the coming years how the avtars will develop with a speed of new generations coming, yet we cannot make or think about its speed of appearance on the computer screen. This is a magic. The avtars created a huge interest to keep persons stick with the computer key board and mouse as well.

sunil

Gillianren
2006-Jul-22, 09:32 AM
Hey, suntrack, you missed the point, I think. The point is, humans have been decorating things with pictures intended to say "I made this" for a very, very long time.

suntrack2
2006-Jul-22, 09:34 AM
oh, very nice gillianren. I was missed it.