PDA

View Full Version : Futurama did an AIT promo

Glom
2006-Jul-02, 12:46 PM
It opened with Al Gore saying, "I'm here to scare you about global warming."

Well since Futurama did it, and Futurama us god, I will then follow suit.

This means I will do two things.

First, I'm going to get medieval on some anti-nuclear ***.

Second, I'm going to push for the best way to deal with global warming in a realistic and reasoned way that doesn't come across like a bourgoise environmentalist attempt to continue oppressing the working man: adaptation.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-02, 01:16 PM
I take it AIT is the documentary An Inconveniant Truth?

Personally I'm not anit-nuclear, but I don't thik it's the cheapest option for my country at the moment. Unless I've been looking at bad infomation, winds power is currently cheaper than nuclear. We also have a lot of scope to cut domestic power use with solar hot water here and possibly photoelectric if it comes down in price. Since in general our grid has the capacity to handle large increases in wind power despite its variability I think new capacity in the short term should be mostly wind. After a few years we'll be in a better position to see if the cost of building a nuclear plant has come down enough in price enough to make it worthwile. By that that time wind and solar should also have come down in price, possibly low enough to make investments in managing their variability worthwhile.

If you know how much current nuclear plants being built in the U.S. and so forth actually cost I'd be interested to hear. I only want to know the actual costs, not the projected costs, as they might not match up.

Gerrsun
2006-Jul-03, 01:16 PM
I take it AIT is the documentary An Inconveniant Truth?

Personally I'm not anit-nuclear, but I don't thik it's the cheapest option for my country at the moment. Unless I've been looking at bad infomation, winds power is currently cheaper than nuclear. We also have a lot of scope to cut domestic power use with solar hot water here and possibly photoelectric if it comes down in price. Since in general our grid has the capacity to handle large increases in wind power despite its variability I think new capacity in the short term should be mostly wind. After a few years we'll be in a better position to see if the cost of building a nuclear plant has come down enough in price enough to make it worthwile. By that that time wind and solar should also have come down in price, possibly low enough to make investments in managing their variability worthwhile.

If you know how much current nuclear plants being built in the U.S. and so forth actually cost I'd be interested to hear. I only want to know the actual costs, not the projected costs, as they might not match up.

Wind mills kill cute birds.

And no nukes without tort reform. Every mole that changes color on someone who lives within 50 miles of a nuclear plant will result in a billion dollars class action lawsuit.

And don't solar cells change the humidity around them? Couldn't this affect the environment if used on a large-scale?

Māori
2006-Jul-03, 01:44 PM
What are you boys talking about?

Gerrsun
2006-Jul-05, 11:41 AM
A Futurama short clip about Al Gore's movie, I saw it on Youtube.com if you want to go see it.

Wasn't THAT funny if you want my opinion, but then there's nothing funny about G L O B A L W A R M I N G!!! Duh Duh DUHNNNNNNNNNNN!

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-05, 01:50 PM
Wind mills kill cute birds.

That's true. And the smart birds hang around and eat them.

And don't solar cells change the humidity around them? Couldn't this affect the environment if used on a large-scale?

Well at the moment we mostly just use solar hot water, not cells, but solar cells don't change the humidity around them. It's hard for humans to have large scale effects on humidity on a planet where the surface is three-quaters water.

V-GER
2006-Jul-05, 01:59 PM
Wasn't THAT funny if you want my opinion, but then there's nothing funny about G L O B A L W A R M I N G!!! Duh Duh DUHNNNNNNNNNNN!

Oh come on now, haven't you seen Two days before the day after tomorrow (South Park episode...)

Stan: "Somebody's gonna help the people off their, their rooftops, right?"

Randy: "That's not important right now, son. What's important is figuring out whose fault this is."

Gerrsun
2006-Jul-05, 03:10 PM
Oh come on now, haven't you seen Two days before the day after tomorrow (South Park episode...)

Stan: "Somebody's gonna help the people off their, their rooftops, right?"

Randy: "That's not important right now, son. What's important is figuring out whose fault this is."

Yes, I did and I laughed so hard that I think I hurt myself.

"WE DIDN'T LISTEN!"