PDA

View Full Version : Art Bell cameo in "Prey" video game

Kesh
2006-Jul-03, 10:37 PM
Tried the demo for the new game Prey.

Ehn. Nothing that stunning that I saw. A few fun physics tricks, but otherwise I could've been playing about any FPS. The "story" was about as involving as the original Quake, and the action didn't have anywhere near the fun of Half-Life or scary factor of Clive Barker's Undying.

I suppose part of that is the fact the game was originally slated to use the Unreal engine back in 1995 or so. I've heard about this game for over a decade, so it was a bit underwhelming when I actually got to it.

The one fun part: they had all sorts of good classic rock tunes for the juke box in the opening scene, and you could select what you wanted to hear. Then, when the pivotal moment occurs, the box switches to playing Blue Oyster Cult's "Dont Fear the Reaper." n.n

And, the reason why I'm posting here: in one scene you walk past a panel and hear the radio program Coast to Coast AM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_to_Coast_AM). It sounded like they really did get Art Bell to record it, so that was funny. Especially given the context of what was going on at the time. :)

Gerrsun
2006-Jul-05, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I heard that. Art takes a caller who is talking about lights in the sky and then the caller is cut off...

As for Prey, is it just me or does that game have TOO MANY SPHINCTERS?

<shudder>

Kesh
2006-Jul-05, 10:36 PM
I've seen worse. ;)

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-Jul-10, 01:06 AM
And, the reason why I'm posting here: in one scene you walk past a panel and hear the radio program Coast to Coast AM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_to_Coast_AM). It sounded like they really did get Art Bell to record it, so that was funny. Especially given the context of what was going on at the time. :)
Hah. I was just in a GameStop earlier today with a friend and part of that bit was playing on their video previews loop. It was weird, because the video was piped through TVs pointing out of the storefront, but the audio was piped through the speakers in the store. I wasn't paying attention, but then I hear something along the lines of "This is Art Bell..." I shook my head and thought, "My God... What?" Then I realized what was going on. :p

2006-Jul-24, 10:19 AM
I've got the game and he actually appears several times throughout the game. I'm probably around 1/3-1/2 of the way and I've heard him at least 3 or 4 times now. It's nothing critical, just a bit of flavor to fill out the story of what's going on in the game. I thought it was rather appropriate though. I mean, if UFOs DID start appearing and abducting people and whatnot you KNOW he would be talking about it.