PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Blasts Off

Fraser
2006-Jul-04, 08:58 PM
The space shuttle Discovery roared into orbit from Cape Canaveral today, after two days of delays. The first launch in nearly a year, STS-121 carried 7 astronauts on a mission to visit the International Space Station, delivering supplies and testing out safety procedures. Even though a small crack was discovered in Discovery's external tank, NASA officials decided it didn't pose a risk to the shuttle, and they approved the launch. The shuttle will dock up with the station on Thursday.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/07/04/discovery-blasts-off/)

TDFLM
2006-Jul-05, 02:24 PM
This was such a perfect launch! I was at my office on Tuesday to pick something up and decided not to go home. I drove north, yes, about 1 1/2 hours north of me to be precise - to Titusville! I had my AstroCan in my car and well, it was used today. I parked on US1 next to the river in Titusville and sat at the water's edge directly across from the Vehicle Assembly Building and the launch pads - you could see all three without the aid of the scope. When the Rotating Service Structure moved away, I could see it with my scope. WOW! It was a perfect spot and thrilling to see! I cheered and I cried.

They are supposed to land in 12 or 13 days, that makes both days a weekend. I may go back up for that. It would be another good day!

Patty

ToSeek
2006-Jul-05, 02:54 PM
I haven't checked for myself yet, but my wife said she found good photos of the launch from as far away as Orlando.

snabald
2006-Jul-05, 05:44 PM
Watched the launch on TV, am I the only one who stays really nervous until the boosters separate, I was almost holding my breath!

George
2006-Jul-05, 11:02 PM
Beautiful image, Fraser. :clap: