PDA

View Full Version : Futurama vs Red Dwarf

Glom
2006-Jul-06, 07:44 PM
I'm so torn. Having recently bought loads of F DVDs lately I'm watching loads. But I also know I watched loads of RD when those DVDs were knew.

One thing is clear: F is smarter. I may have to vote F. Where else would you find a line like this?
"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"

Swift
2006-Jul-06, 07:45 PM
I voted Futurama, but it was a close decision.

Alasdhair
2006-Jul-06, 08:57 PM
Very close, but Futurama just shades it

ToSeek
2006-Jul-06, 09:10 PM
I voted Red Dwarf just to be contrary.

tdvance
2006-Jul-06, 09:31 PM
Futurama---where else do you get top science such as the smell-o-scope!

Todd

Lianachan
2006-Jul-06, 11:19 PM
No contest for me - Futurama, hands down.

I cannot abide Red Dwarf.

aurora
2006-Jul-06, 11:22 PM
I am ignoring the last season of Red Dwarf, which was poor.

Maksutov
2006-Jul-07, 12:49 AM
Futurama, claws down.
Farnsworth 1: Now now, perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.

Farnsworth 1: Yes it's the apocalypse alright. I always thought I'd have a hand in it!

Farnsworth 420: Baby they're somewhere, everything's like somewhere! Place is kinda au natural right now.

from The Farnsworth Parabox

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-07, 01:13 AM
Oooh I thought this is going to be so close, what shall I do? but then realised I'd already selected Futurama. So you can all kiss my shiny metal .... ! :D

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Jul-07, 02:49 AM
Oooh I thought this is going to be so close, what shall I do? but then realised I'd already selected Futurama. So you can all kiss my shiny metal .... ! :D
FACE!!!

Hmmm ...

That Doesn't Sound Quiite Right, Where Oh Where, Did I Go Wrong?

:razz:

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-07, 03:53 AM
Red Dwarf seasons 3-6 beats any Futurama season in my opinion.

I imagine there are cultural differences here with most Aussies and Brits probably preferring Red Dwarf. After being raised on Doctor Who we don't care about shoddy special effects and cardboard sets. Also, there is a lot of humour in Red Dwarf that I don't think most Americans will get. In fact, I think a lot of the best bits were edited out for the U.S. version.

I like the fact that in Red Dwarf there was some character development. In Futurama there is none. (Futurama even made fun of how everything gets set back to normal at the end of an episode) Also in most of Red Dwarf the characters work the script. In Futurama the script works the characters.

captain swoop
2006-Jul-07, 12:23 PM
how can u compare a cartoon with a sitcom? Red Dwarf didnt need to be in space in its first few series. It wasnt a sci-fi show it was in the great british tradition of 2 people who hate but need each other being forced together. other Examples are Stepto and Son, Bottom, Porridge and to an extent dads Army . Only later did the 'Sci-Fi start to become more important.

mickal555
2006-Jul-07, 02:25 PM
Love Futuramma

Never seen Red dwarf... whats it like?

Swift
2006-Jul-07, 05:09 PM
Never seen Red dwarf... whats it like?
It is particularly fond of vindaloo. :eh:
:D

Glom
2006-Jul-07, 05:23 PM
I like the fact that in Red Dwarf there was some character development. In Futurama there is none. (Futurama even made fun of how everything gets set back to normal at the end of an episode) Also in most of Red Dwarf the characters work the script. In Futurama the script works the characters.

What about 'The Series Has Landed', 'A Fishful of Dollars', 'Xmas Story', 'A Bicyclops Built for Two', 'The Deep South', 'The Luck of the Fryish', 'Bendless Love', 'The Cyber House Rules', 'Leela's Homeworld', 'The Sting'?

jkmccrann
2006-Jul-07, 06:17 PM
Red Dwarf seasons 3-6 beats any Futurama season in my opinion.

I imagine there are cultural differences here with most Aussies and Brits probably preferring Red Dwarf. After being raised on Doctor Who we don't care about shoddy special effects and cardboard sets. Also, there is a lot of humour in Red Dwarf that I don't think most Americans will get. In fact, I think a lot of the best bits were edited out for the U.S. version.

Yep, I'm an Aussie and I voted for Red Dwarf. I like them both, but I have to agree that there's more character development and depth in Red Dwarf.

Futurama is a nice diversion, but I like the way the characters develop over the course of Red Dwarf. Rimmer, The Cat, Kryten & Lister I just love the way they go about insulting each other. Granted, doing the last couple of seasons wasn't the greatest of ideas - just an attempt at jumping on the gravy train really, but in its prime it was a great show.

mickal, you can no doubt find DVDs of Red Dwarf at any good video store - if you're generally a fan of the British style of humour, then you'll like it, if you're not, then it mightn't appeal so much.

Gillianren
2006-Jul-07, 06:41 PM
how can u compare a cartoon with a sitcom? Red Dwarf didnt need to be in space in its first few series. It wasnt a sci-fi show it was in the great british tradition of 2 people who hate but need each other being forced together. other Examples are Stepto and Son, Bottom, Porridge and to an extent dads Army . Only later did the 'Sci-Fi start to become more important.

Fairly easily, actually; I see no reason you can't. Now, I have a hard time comparing this particular live action show with this particular cartoon--which I prefer depends greatly on my mood--but the medium isn't the important issue there, the plot is.

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-07, 07:42 PM
Uh oh, I hope this Poll is just a piece of fun. I'ts not going to effect the production of the new Futurama DVDs & series is it? :shifty::)

parallaxicality
2006-Jul-07, 09:35 PM
Ten years ago I would have voted for Red Dwarf. But Red Dwarf suffered in a number of mediocre seasons. I think Futurama was more consistent over its entire run.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-08, 12:57 AM
What about 'The Series Has Landed', 'A Fishful of Dollars', 'Xmas Story', 'A Bicyclops Built for Two', 'The Deep South', 'The Luck of the Fryish', 'Bendless Love', 'The Cyber House Rules', 'Leela's Homeworld', 'The Sting'?

But the characters all seem to be the same at the start of the next episode. (If I'm wrong, forgive me for not paying close attention.) It's as if the end credits contain magical character reset juice. And you can hardly blame me for thinking this when Fry himself mentions it at the end of one episode.

Charly
2006-Jul-08, 04:11 AM
. Only later did the 'Sci-Fi start to become more important.

Disagree.

Sci-fi is strong in the 1st 2 series of Red Dwarf too...

Future Echos
Confidence and Paranoia
Garbage Pod
Memory Wiping
Loopy andriods
2 Rimmers
Parallel Universe

If anything, the later series were far less original, reusing earlier plots and ideas. Try reading the novelisations. These are very good, suprising well written.

I think Futurama is a bit childish. Not my cuppa. Hate comedys that try to appeal to everyone. Very little American comedy is all that good. I do like the American version of the office though. Its not as good as the original, but it is still very funny.

Strider1974
2006-Jul-08, 06:03 AM
Try reading the novelisations. These are very good, suprising well written.

Another Aussie voting for Red Dwarf and I second the call to read the novelisations, they are one of the few comedy books that have gotten me to laugh out loud, and for a comedy the science elements are excellent.

papageno
2006-Jul-08, 01:01 PM
I think Futurama was more consistent over its entire run.
That's exactly what I thought.

I have not seen all of Red Dwarf (on british TV), but I usually like british humour. I appreciated some of the ideas (one of the first seasons had probably the best time-travel-like story on TV), and I love Kryten.

Yet I still think that Futurama is that bit better. That's why when I had to choose between buying the DVDs of Futurama and the DVDs of Red Dwarf, I went for the first.

spacemanspiff
2006-Jul-09, 02:28 AM
I'm American and I love Red Dwarf. It's far and away the better show. Sorry guys but Futurama is just the Simpsons in the future and I can't stand the Simpsons. Fry is an idiot as are most of the characters.
Red dwarfs humor was crude in some intances but at least it didn't depend on generaly stupid characters doing generaly stupid things for a laugh.

Maksutov
2006-Jul-09, 08:11 AM
I'm American and I love Red Dwarf. It's far and away the better show. Sorry guys but Futurama is just the Simpsons in the future and I can't stand the Simpsons. Fry is an idiot as are most of the characters.
Red dwarfs humor was crude in some intances but at least it didn't depend on generaly stupid characters doing generaly stupid things for a laugh.Fry's an everyman, not an idiot, although he often acts like one, as with most everypersons. Not aware of any other Futurama characters that act that way (except Zoidberg, who's a real alien). Just because you see such cartooning similarites as the over bite doesn't mean the characters are the same.

Those that only see the surface see the future Simpsons (arrgghh). Those who see the dilemma of humans 1000 years from now see Futurama.

I can hardly abide the Simpsons, but I love Futurama.

Red Dwarf? Bah. Launch it to the alternative universe, so it may wave to us now and then.

AGN Fuel
2006-Jul-10, 07:29 AM
I voted Red Dwarf, but I love both shows and have all of them on DVD (those that have been released, that is!)

I had to go the Dwarf in the end, on the strength of Rimmer's Quagaars and Kryten's response to an order to go to Red Alert ("Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does mean changing the bulb")!

Mellow
2006-Jul-10, 07:52 AM
I like both, but I wonder if anyone could guess which way I voted......

(Edited to add).... I think Red Dwarf hit a real purple patch during the series (or two) when the main characters were on Starbug, I think the writing got tighter and funnier.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-10, 08:14 AM
I think Red Dwarf hit a real purple patch during the series (or two) when the main characters were on Starbug, I think the writing got tighter and funnier.

That was season six when they lost Red Dwarf and were stuck in the Starbug. I agree it was excellent, but I think it all fell apart after that. There was a three year break between that and the next season, one of the writers left, and well, it was frankly it wasn't much good compared to what had come before. I haven't actually seen the last season, but I've heard it's an improvment on season seven.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-10, 02:16 PM
FACE!!!

Hmmm ...

That Doesn't Sound Quiite Right, Where Oh Where, Did I Go Wrong?

:razz:

Daffodil. ;) :D

I'm not voting, since the only Red Dwarf I've seen was 10-15 minutes of the pilot at 3am (so the volume was too low and it was not captioned) on PBS. I might try to record some if I remember.
But Futurama is great, :)

captain swoop
2006-Jul-11, 12:36 PM
Disagree.

Sci-fi is strong in the 1st 2 series of Red Dwarf too...

Future Echos
Confidence and Paranoia
Garbage Pod
Memory Wiping
Loopy andriods
2 Rimmers
Parallel Universe

Nope, cant agree, they were all just mechanisms to explore the relationship between the two main characters, after Kryten joined the crew this dynamic changed somewhat but it was a character and not plot led show.
the nearest thibg I can think of was a Channel 4 (UK) series called 'Nightingales' it was about 4 security guards on night duty in an office blcok, it had similar themes tho the early Red Dwarf seasons. It was quite surreal in its own way.

eburacum45
2006-Jul-11, 01:09 PM
Oh I remember that;
"there's nobody here but us chickens!"

spacemanspiff
2006-Jul-12, 12:46 AM
Fry's an everyman, not an idiot, although he often acts like one, as with most everypersons. Not aware of any other Futurama characters that act that way (except Zoidberg, who's a real alien). Just because you see such cartooning similarites as the over bite doesn't mean the characters are the same.

Those that only see the surface see the future Simpsons (arrgghh). Those who see the dilemma of humans 1000 years from now see Futurama.

I can hardly abide the Simpsons, but I love Futurama.

Red Dwarf? Bah. Launch it to the alternative universe, so it may wave to us now and then.

Sorry dude, I'm gonna have to stick with Red Dwarf. I can watch it again and again but gimme one episode of Futurama and I've had enough. I'm also going to have to stick with my opinion of fry. He is an idiot. there was the episode when he became ultra rich because his bank account had stayed open for a thousand years. He lost this fortune because they made him think it was all a dream,then someone with Pamela Andersons head(in a jar) on top of their own head then wraped in a sheet convinced him that they were the real Pamela anderson? Like I said an idiot. All the other characters are just annoying except Leela who is the only one with any sense. Why she would put up with Fry or Bender is beyond me.
I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and this is all just my opinion but I just don't think it's funny. And I'm not just talking about the similarity of the cartooning style. I'm talking about the way the characters act and the way something stupid will just happen with no explanation or reference and we're supposed to think it's funny.
Although I will admit I've not seen Futurama lately, Has it moved to cable because I don't have cable. I only saw the first couple of seasons but if it's the same now as it was then then I'm not intersted.

Van Rijn
2006-Jul-12, 02:10 AM
I gave Futurama the nod, though I like both series a lot. One of the things I like about Futurama is that I can see an episode 5 times, and catch new jokes (often inside jokes) each time. Still, Red Dwarf, at least in the earlier years, was great fun too.

Gillianren
2006-Jul-12, 02:29 AM
The thing about Futurama (they aren't making new episodes) is that there are certain jokes that I'm not sure everyone gets that are part of why I think it's so funny. The Simpsons, too. Like the whole Evergreen Terrace thing? Priceless . . . if you know Matt Groening went to The Evergreen State College. Rumour has it Mr. Burns is based on the photography professor, but I wouldn't know. I do know that he was still there a few years ago, when I was.

Tobin Dax
2006-Jul-12, 02:37 AM
The thing about Futurama (they aren't making new episodes) is that there are certain jokes that I'm not sure everyone gets that are part of why I think it's so funny. The Simpsons, too. Like the whole Evergreen Terrace thing? Priceless . . . if you know Matt Groening went to The Evergreen State College. Rumour has it Mr. Burns is based on the photography professor, but I wouldn't know. I do know that he was still there a few years ago, when I was.

I love that Portland/Pacific NW references that litter the Simpsons (like Sideshow Bob's last name is Terwilliger). It's fun, but the Simpsons has gotten old and uninteresting. I still try to catch Futurama when ever I can, though. It has not lost its charm.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-12, 02:47 AM
(they aren't making new episodes)

Actually I heard Futurama has been revived and they are making at least one new season.

Van Rijn
2006-Jul-12, 05:20 AM
Actually I heard Futurama has been revived and they are making at least one new season.

That's what they say. At least thirteen new episodes on Comedy Central, but not until 2008. Here's a story on it:

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=televisionNews&storyID=2006-06-23T033638Z_01_N22173912_RTRIDST_0_TELEVISION-FUTURAMA-DC.XML

I'm in wait-n-see mode, hopefully they won't mess it up.

captain swoop
2006-Jul-12, 12:23 PM
Oh I remember that;
"there's nobody here but us chickens!"

yahay! Robert Lindsey was in it and that Irish guy that used to be in Z Cars all those years ago!

Twas v funny

Jim
2006-Jul-12, 01:35 PM
I picked Futurama, but I also enjoyed Red Dwarf.

At least, I think I enjoyed Red Dwarf. From some of the comments here, I may have the wrong series in mind. The RD I'm thinking of has a couple of idiots as the main characters. Is there one that has geniuses? Or even normal people?

(You realize that Fry and Rimmer could combine their IQs and still not reach triple digits?)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Jul-13, 04:38 PM
I picked Futurama, but I also enjoyed Red Dwarf.

At least, I think I enjoyed Red Dwarf. From some of the comments here, I may have the wrong series in mind. The RD I'm thinking of has a couple of idiots as the main characters. Is there one that has geniuses? Or even normal people?

(You realize that Fry and Rimmer could combine their IQs and still not reach triple digits?)
TRIPLE ...

I've Always Suspected Double!

mickal555
2006-Aug-06, 11:19 AM
I just got hold of RD season 7...

Just watched the JFK one...

Bad jcsd
2006-Aug-06, 11:36 AM
Futurama is defitnely more consistent. Red Dwarf started out as pretty good and gradually got better and better until the sixth series which was pretty amazing. Between series 6 and 7 there was quite a big gap and one of the two-man writing team left which is mainly why the 7th and 8th series were poor.

I'd go for Red Dwarf though as I grew up watching it. At the moement I find Futurama generally funnier, but it just lacks that certain soemthing that made Red Dwarf great.

I woudl also recommend the first two novelizatiosn of the series (starnegly there are actually two different sequels to the first two books both readable not as good) as they cover the plot in the first few series of Red Dwarf much better than the TV show did (the books are based on the TV series but throughout the books the plot starts to strongly diverge from the TV series).

Alasdhair
2006-Aug-06, 08:01 PM
I just got hold of RD season 7...

Just watched the JFK one...

That was about the peak of series 7, unfortunately.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Aug-07, 02:36 AM
The jfk red dwarf is good but my favourite is actually over episodes in one the have lister holding two big baby boys. in a latter episode they lister getting with child in an alternate universe and then have lister going i always wondering how you to boys with no women around ( and no one around qualifed to do a c-section).

BigDon
2006-Aug-08, 03:20 AM
It was close but I decided on Red Dwarf. Better laughs. Though Futurama produces much better hentai. (Joke)

Futurama seldom makes me laugh out loud even if I do find it amusing. Who could forget Kryten's line, "Now I know you guys don't take me seriously because I have a head shaped like a popular bass lure..." Why I believe I may have actually spouted beverage through my nose when he said that. Futurama never did that to me. Though Futurama has a much better opening theme.

Gillianren
2006-Aug-08, 06:03 AM
Yay, Danny Elfman!

parallaxicality
2006-Aug-09, 09:39 PM
Is it Danny Elfman? Doesn't sound like him.

It kinda reminds me of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" played on a steel-drum

Gillianren
2006-Aug-10, 03:26 AM
Nope. Danny Elfman. Read the credits. (It's also, to me at least, vaguely comparable to some of the theme music from PeeWee's Big Adventure, which is also Danny Elfman.)