PDA

View Full Version : volumetric astronomical data

Skipjack
2006-Jul-07, 11:01 AM
Hello!
I am reposting it here, since the thread kinda went under with other things in the off topic forum and I am hoping for some more feedback in this forum.
If this is too of topic then Admins please feels free to delete this thread. Thanks!

We have just released our new product VoluMedic, which is a medical visualization software based on NewTeks LightWave3d.
While VoluMedic is mostly targeted at the medical market, it can be used for visualization of other volumetric data as well (such as data from geophysics and astronomy).
Now, since I have been a user of this forum for a while, I was wondering whether anyone here has some astronomy related dataset for us to test with.
It would be cool to get some data on dust- or cloud- or gas- formations, maybe even galaxies or nebulae. It could also be data related to geophysics, weather, seismic data, even data related to oil resources under the see.
I have seen plenty of renderings done with volumetric data of this kind, but I just cant seem to find anything online that we can use.
If you have any volumetric data of that kind (means a series of images that if stacked results in a volumetric object), I would love to do some viz with that.
Of course would give you full credit on our webpage:
www.volumedic.com if you allow us to show the resulting images in our gallery.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
CU
Elmar

Skipjack
2006-Jul-10, 12:40 PM
Hmmm, noone has anything like that?
I know that there is data like this out there.
E.g. the virgo cluster, but I havent found anything in a readable format (all in some kind of proprietary format).
Please help us!
CU
Elmar

ngc3314
2006-Jul-10, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, noone has anything like that?
I know that there is data like this out there.
E.g. the virgo cluster, but I havent found anything in a readable format (all in some kind of proprietary format).
Please help us!
CU
Elmar

For astronomy, you'll have to be able to deal with FITS format (details (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/)), which is an open-source standard dating to 1978 (we at least got that right instead of being stuck for the next three decades trying to crack commercial formats as the geophysicists and medical-imaging people do). FITS will handle up to seven dimensions; there are, for example, C routines available to read/write and manipulate the header data (which are simple 80-character ASCII lines).

There are some 3D data sets available, generally dealing with two spatial dimensions and a third which is Doppler shift. The University of Calgary has a web site of data from their neutral-hydrogen survey of the plane of the Miliky Way (which of course seems to have gone 404 at the moment). NRAO distributed a CDROM with some H I mapping of other galaxies, but I can't find that stuff on the web at the moment.

Another application would be to visualization of 3D locations of stars or galaxies; galaxies are especially interesting in their large-scale structure, but the problem there is one of representing a 3D constellation of dots rather than volumetric use as usually construed.

Skipjack
2006-Jul-10, 03:25 PM
Hello!
Thank you very much for the reply and the very valuable information.
There are sooo many dataformats out there for volumetric data it is really hard to support all of them.
We are supporting anything from PSD to BMP to SGI to SUN imageseries (slices to compose the volume of) as well as AVIs and Quicktime, Analyze as well as RAW and DICOM.
It is kinda hard to support all the other formats out there.
We will take a look at the FITS format though and see whether there is a way for us to support it.
It is just that we want to show some other uses for VoluMedic than just medical imaging. VoluMedic is so much more flexible than software specialized for medical use. It is such a shame that we dont have the data to show what it can do.
E.g. we know that there is seismic and other geological data in 3d that we can use, but we just cant find any datasets online.
Same with Astronomy.
I have seen the dataset for the virgo cluster online, but it is in a proprietary format developed by the person that did the 3d- volume rendering software...
Right now all we can do is generate some data from procedurals etc, but thats not the same...
CU
Elmar