PDA

View Full Version : Droppings Survive Space Launch

Māori
2006-Jul-07, 12:11 PM
Bird Droppings Survive Space Launch (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/05/AR2006070501242.html)

HOUSTON -- NASA's rocket scientists have a new appreciation for the out-of-this-world power of bird droppings. The orbiting space shuttle Discovery sported some whitish splotches on its black right wing edge that NASA officials said appeared to be bird droppings.

Shuttle lead flight director Tony Ceccacci said he saw the same splotches on the identical part of the shuttle about three weeks ago when Discovery was on the launch pad and laughed when pictures beamed back from space Wednesday showed they were still there.

That means these bird droppings withstood regular Florida thunderstorms, a mighty Fourth of July launch during which 300,000 gallons of water is sprayed at the shuttle's main engines, and a burst upward through Earth's atmosphere. During that launch Discovery went from zero to 17,500 mph in just under 9 minutes.
It looks like the Shuttle gained some new additions. :lol:

I did a search for bird dropping, and I found no recent threads.

Grand_Lunar
2006-Jul-07, 12:41 PM
That's some powerful poop.

I bet some engineering in some think tank is devising ways of applying this to some form of technology.

Argos
2006-Jul-07, 12:44 PM
Yeah, maybe bird droppings can be used as an effective thermal coating. :) Serendipity...

mahesh
2006-Jul-07, 12:51 PM
Māori!

HOW DO you find this stuff?:D

Māori
2006-Jul-07, 01:11 PM
Bye Bye, Birdies (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/behindscenes/avian_radar.html)

06.30.06 (nasa.gov)

Birds come with the territory at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, which usually doesn't mind when any of the nearby Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge's 310 species of birds swoop through for a visit.

But one particular type of bird is causing concern: vultures. That's why NASA plans to test special radar to track any vultures around Launch Pad 39B during the countdown to liftoff of Space Shuttle Discovery on mission STS-121.
I wonder if the special radar picked up these "vultures" landings before lift off. ;)

Doodler
2006-Jul-07, 01:13 PM
Seems NASA is discovering what American drivers have known for ages.

That crap NEVER comes off! #@%&*$ birds!!

Ara Pacis
2006-Jul-07, 08:26 PM
don't use fowl language!

:D

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-07, 08:30 PM
Roflmao

Gemini
2006-Jul-07, 10:51 PM
don't use fowl language!

:D
(Rimshot)