PDA

View Full Version : The Medicis

Lord Jubjub
2006-Jul-10, 01:17 AM
Starting to watch reruns of the PBS series on the Medicis.

Would the Renaissance have happened without the Medicis?

This series strains hard to make the case. . .but it makes some compelling arguments. I'd give give six of one and half a dozen of the other. . .

I think that the Medicis made the age of Enlightenment arrive easier than might have been otherwise.

Without the the Age of E, the Industrial Revolution never happens. . .:think:

Gillianren
2006-Jul-10, 01:34 AM
It might've happened, but it certainly would've taken longer. I think the Tudors had a shot at starting a Renaissance, but how much Elizabeth would've created it and how much she was herself a product of a Medici-created era is hard to say.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-10, 03:47 AM
Would the Renaissance have happened without the Medicis?

Yes, but maybe in China.

Actually, I see banking and trade as the most important spurs to an industrial revolution and I'm sure other people would have been glad to engage in trade if the Medicis hadn't been around. But we might have missed out on a lot of great renaissance art.

Then again, maybe there would be a Chinese steamship in the Thames right now, demanding that the insular and backwards British open up their country to trade with the United States of the Middle Kingdom. (They've got some opium they'd like the British to buy.)

Gillianren
2006-Jul-10, 04:33 AM
I don't know--England's population is so small as to not be worth gunship diplomacy to the Chinese, don't you think?

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-10, 04:59 AM
I don't know--England's population is so small as to not be worth gunship diplomacy to the Chinese, don't you think?

Yeah, but there might be some interdimensional alternate universe irony leakage.