PDA

View Full Version : Uh, New Guy Here, What's the ATM Theory?

BigDon
2006-Jul-10, 11:50 PM
If it won't take to long. Otherwise I'd be happy just knowing the the acronym stood for.

Argos
2006-Jul-10, 11:55 PM
It stands for Against The Mainstream. And welcome, pal. :)

antoniseb
2006-Jul-11, 12:32 AM
Generally ATM here refers to any *scientific* theory which is an alternative to the mainstream theories of today. The main ATM theories here these days are Arp, Electric Universe, and a broad array of people who just don't like the idea that the universe had a start date. Some other theories show up here which are not cosmological in scope. This is NOT where you might discuss whether Venutians conspired with the French government to kill The real Tony Blair. That would be in the Conspiracy Theory section.

trinitree88
2006-Jul-11, 12:34 AM
If it won't take to long. Otherwise I'd be happy just knowing the the acronym stood for.

Big Don Even if you propose an idea that is supported in the literature by mainstream astronomers and physicists, published in multiple peer-reviewed journals numerous times...it will still be considered against the mainstream.
Just as in the courts...some are more equal than others....some are more mainstream than others, too. Pete.:naughty:

Gillianren
2006-Jul-11, 12:36 AM
Got some evidence for that? Specifically, evidence that anything our welcome new member might propose would be considered ATM?

trinitree88
2006-Jul-11, 02:23 AM
Got some evidence for that? Specifically, evidence that anything our welcome new member might propose would be considered ATM?

Gillianren. Try RobA 's post Dec 14, 2005 in Question & Answers...Mass and Speed of Light....plenty of evidence. Pete. (Link didn't work )

Gillianren
2006-Jul-11, 05:51 AM
Well, I don't see what that had to do with anything. I don't see any proof that BigDon's posts would automatically be considered ATM; I don't see any proof that anyone's posts would automatically be considered ATM. I see no evidence that an idea you posted would automatically be considered ATM despite, as near as I can tell, one concept that you posted was considered such, but that's about it.

Grey
2006-Jul-12, 04:08 PM
Big Don Even if you propose an idea that is supported in the literature by mainstream astronomers and physicists, published in multiple peer-reviewed journals numerous times...it will still be considered against the mainstream.
Just as in the courts...some are more equal than others....some are more mainstream than others, too. Pete.:naughty:No, Pete, it will only be considered against the mainstream if the vast majority of astronomers and physicists disagree with it. That's the case with your idea, and many others that may have a few proponents. "Mainstream" does not mean "everything ever published in a peer reviewed journal", it means those ideas that are generally accepted by the community.